Safe-T Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
This Sunday the 13th the Safe-T system will be down starting at 4am until?
IPSC is saying it should be up by noon, but who knows.
All towers in Zone 1 Central Indiana will be affected, and they will be in site trunking.

This should be a good time to monitor the old VHF and UHF.
Some agencies do not have a good back-up plan and revert back to there old systems.

Should be some good listening that day.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Also might be a good idea to program in your local SAFE-T tower into conventional mode, just in case FAILSOFT occurs.

Just wondering if this is in preparation for rebanding???

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
Also might be a good idea to program in your local SAFE-T tower into conventional mode, just in case FAILSOFT occurs.

Just wondering if this is in preparation for rebanding???

I have a really good print out somewhere that explains how to program your towers for conventional use.
I will keep looking and copy and paste. I have 1 bank set up that way for the 4 towers around me.
If you get time post something explaining it, and how to program it in.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Program the scanner just like the good old days before trunking scanners....
Program them in as conventional frequencies with no CTCSS or DCS tone.

ddoorman

TO: KC9LGZ

Is the entire system to be down or just the towers in Zone 1, Central Indiana?

pickles37

Does anyone have a link for this? I can't find anything on the IPSC website

If just zone 1, it will be interesting to see the repercussions on towers at the zone edges (e.g. will radios try to affiliate with non-site-trunking towers further afield)

Obviously this is a quiet time but it will be interesting to see the impact

David

usswood

this will be fun...I will have TRUNK88 going, will be interesting as to what happens...also on another note, I watched the Graysville machine go into site-trunking 6 different times the other morning...it went into failsafe a few times before reconnecting itself...they really need to get AT&T to fix that T-1 line once and for all

SCANMUNCIE

It would be all the "7829" Zone as listed in the RR DB

Counties of: Vermilion, Parke, Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Putnam, Boone, Hendricks, Morgan, Johnson, Marion, Hamilton, Grant, Madison, Hancock, Shelby, Blackford, Delaware, Henry, Rush, Jay, Randolph, Wayne, Fayette, Union, Franklin

Everything in the Orange on the Map on the database page.

what is the county in zone1

DiGiTaLD

It will be interesting to see what ISP does during this outage. There are lots of cars that don't have low band anymore. Sure, with site trunking, subscriber radios can still talk to one another provided they are all affiliated with the same site, but none of the wireline consoles will work. The post(s) will have only subscriber radios to dispatch on, and good luck getting those to communicate with sites futher out. This demonstrates how very dependent regional dispatching is on the terrestrial networks staying up. With SAFE-T, you lose the wirelines, and you lose everything. The whole system becomes a bunch of standalone trunking systems, all with the same system ID and the same talkgroups, but none of which are interconnected.

What about INDOT? They cancelled a bunch of their low band licenses. Probably they don't have low band in their trucks anymore. Hope they don't have to communicate.

For a more local agency such as a county or a city, as long as they have a few subscriber units (portables or consolettes) they can dispatch with, and they can get all of their radios affiliated with the same site and keep them there during the outage, they should fare better.

jamesa53

this will be fun...i will have trunk88 going, will be interesting as to what happens...also on another note, i watched the graysville machine go into site-trunking 6 different times the other morning...it went into failsafe a few times before reconnecting itself...they really need to get at&t to fix that t-1 line once and for all

rotflmao!!!!! SCS probably didnt know it was down they still use the old 155.010 sometimes!!!!

pickles37

Something seemed to be going wrong today - I heard a snippet on I-MA1 where one party was asking the other if they knew what was happening, as "everything had gone down in Indianapolis". A few minutes later they said they thought it was coming back up as they were "getting a message on the microwave link". Not sure who the two parties were. Obviously *something* was up as they were talking on I-MA1

usswood

ok...system just went down here on the West side of the State...all sites now SITE TRUNKING

ITAC 2 is in use in this area

However Vigo units don't seem to be on there home system...units calling on wrong towers, also State units doing the same thing...Vigo is using Plan A C2B with Dispatch using there 155.565 back to the units...Sullivan seems to be in the dark about whats going on but there units are using there VHF backup...Clay County is using its VHF Backup also

Seems there was no general EMAIL issued to all staff of the departments about this outage and what radio procedure to follow...interesting

Sounds like Vigo has turned on a repeater on there 155.565.....LEO says Central had know clue bout the outage this morning...lol

Just let the HAMS run the radio!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.