SAFE-T Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwh367

I just my received Radio Shack Pro-2006 scanner Friday. I am Perry County and we have all 3 SAFE-T towers operational. I have the primary control channels programmed for all 3 towers. However, to receive all 3 towers I had to use a 3db cell phone antenna and an old GRE GW-2 preamplifier due to the hilly terrain in my area. I have it mounted on an old dash light bracket attached to an aluminum awning. Trying various multi-band mobile antennas and the cell phone antenna in different locations, this is the setup that works best for me right now as I'm not allowed to put any type of large antenna up on the house where I currently reside. I can also receive the two SAFE-T towers in Spencer County. The cell phone antenna works well on 800MHz, decent on VHF-HI but poorly on UHF (I can't pick up any of the Kentucky State Police APCO towers but my handheld scanner picks up the signals fine with the stock antenna even though it can't decode them.) I guess I'll just have to consider that a trade off for right now.

My questions are the following:

1.) Do you keep the "delay" turned on for the control channels you have programmed?
2.) Do you program the alternate control channels for the towers?
3.) Is a control channel worth programming if the signal isn't strong enough to decode the
system ID (A40C in my area)?
4.) Pro-2006 should be able to decode SAFE-T system right out of the box without
modifying any of the tables?
5.) Anyone receiving control channels with the correct system ID but not listed in the
database on here or on the FCC website or am I just receiving a couple of images?
I'm getting a weak control channel on 867.825 and 868.000
6.) I've searched but can't seem to find the 800MHz Nationwide Conventional Mutual Aid
Channels anywhere. Any idea where I can locate them at?

I've got all of the control channels programmed with a conventional FM channel between them and seem to be having pretty good luck so far. Not much traffic in my neck of the woods yet. State Police and DNR South Region is about the only ones I've heard using it so far.

This is the first trunking system I've ever been able to monitor so I'm sorry about all of the questions. We do have a trunked system at a state prison, here in the county, but it is low powered and the control channel is so weak at my residence that the scanner won't even try to decode it.

Thanks in advance for helping a trunking newbie get the most out out of an investment that cost a small fortune.

Sincerely,
David H.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
David

Answers to your questions...

1) No you don't need to have delays on control channels
2) I would program in the alternate control channels
3) I would program in those other control channels - band conditions can change
4) No table modifications are needed
5) Probably images - everything in the database is correct
6) Mutual Aid Channels - these are conventional:
866.0125 Calling
866.5125 Tac 1
867.0125 Tac 2
867.5125 Tac 3
868.0125 Tac 4

dwh367

I've read that the ISP posts will be monitoring the NPSPAC Mutual Aid calling channel. I was just wondering if Indiana is using what seems to be the national 156.7 PL standard. I've found that I can't leave NPSPAC Tac 4 carrier squelched due to a persistent birdie I'm receiving on that frequency.

David H.

Status
Not open for further replies.