safe t towers

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this might sound crazy but i really dont know and want to ask you guys ..

if i want to try and hear connersville in fayette county from indy would i program a indianapolis site and connersville IDs? or just program the fayette county site and IDs?

also for indy safe-t can i only use one site for all of marion county safe-t or do i need to program all 3 sites for marion county safe-t.

also another crazy one , i have a 396xt can i use any rechargeable battery or should i use 2250mah 1.2v reason i ask is cause all the batterys im finding in stores are not 2250mah they are diffrent and it says to just use 2250mah would it really matter if i didnt?

Thanks for any help Jason...

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
if i want to try and hear connersville in fayette county from indy would i program a indianapolis site and connersville IDs? or just program the fayette county site and IDs?
The basic issue that you need to keep in mind is that, with a few exceptions, the only talkgroups you will hear on any particular tower are the groups being monitored by radios affiliated with that tower. What this means is that for you to hear Fayette County talkgroups on an Indianapolis tower, a user radio set for those talkgroups needs to be affiliated with the Indianapolis tower. The SAFE-T system does not have infinite resources, so you can't hear all talkgroups on all towers.

It is unlikely that you will be able to monitor the Fayette County tower from the Indianapolis area. And I wouldn't count on being able to hear Fayette County talkgroups on the Indianapolis tower, though you never know.

also for indy safe-t can i only use one site for all of marion county safe-t or do i need to program all 3 sites for marion county safe-t.
The site on the west side of Marion County only has a few transmitters and is probably limited to just the DOC talkgroups used at the correctional facility where the site is located. The downtown site may also be limited to Capitol Police and IDOA talkgroups. The site at Post 52 has pretty good coverage and you should be able to hear it just about everywhere in Marion County.

Last edited:
lets say i want to here bargersville FD in johnson cty . does it hit off the greenwood site or franklin site? or both?

i guess the counties with 2 sites have me confused.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Probably both. I believe that the zone controller can be configured to light up any talkgroup on any tower. Since there are multiple towers in Johnson County, my assumption is that any Johnson County talkgroup appears on every Johnson County tower. I will defer to anyone with more direct knowledge of how SAFE-T works in that county.

There are counties, such as Boone, Hendricks, Lake, and Shelby, that have simulcast tower sites. In those cases, all of the simulcasted towers within the simulcast group act as if they were one tower site. In other words, when a talkgroup appears on one tower in the simulcast group, all of the towers in that group light up.

W9NES

IndyScanner Freak, I hear Johnson County along with Shelby County and Hancock County off of the Dist 52 Safe-t tower all the time.As far as Hendricks County along with Putnam County,Clinton County, and Montgomery County I hear them all the time off of the Dist 52 Simucast Tower for Boone County.Hope This Helps.Best Requards,Tim DeLong W9NES

Last edited:

Viper43

You won't hear Connersville too often in Indy off the Fayette Co site. You have a better chance getting them off the Shelby Co site or off the Wilkinson site. Even then you won't get all the transmissions as not all units are affiliated with those sites. I recieve the Fayette Co site most of the time but I have an external antenna 50' up and LMR400 coax so it pulls the weak signals in and I doubt you'll get them in Indy even with that except when conditions are just right.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
Probably both. I believe that the zone controller can be configured to light up any talkgroup on any tower. Since there are multiple towers in Johnson County, my assumption is that any Johnson County talkgroup appears on every Johnson County tower. I will defer to anyone with more direct knowledge of how SAFE-T works in that county.

The Jo Co towers are set up by affiliation. I monitor the Franklin tower most of the time with my scanner. If anything major happens in Greenwood I have to manually select that tg on my 2500 to get the affiliation on the Franklin tower. The Greenwood tower covers WRTWP very well, but Site 1 in Indy gets alot of Greenwood traffic from US 31 East in northern Johnson County. As far as the Edinburgh tower goes......Well it's like it's down in a dump. The range on that tower seems to be about 7 miles or so. Not very good. It could be the way it's set up. The Shelby County Simulcast tower is AWESOME. It's right on the Shelby Johnson line and it gets ALOT of traffic from Eastern Jo Co. Monitoring Jo Co is tricky. There are a ton of tg's on several different towers. I have dedicated bangs for each tower. Good thing my scanner is smart. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.