SDS100/SDS200: **SAFETY ALERT** SDS100 battery severely swelled

maus92

Premium Subscriber
ALCON:

I was cleaning up my office work table and noticed that my original skinny battery supplied with my SDS100 was severely swelled. The battery was sitting in its original battery cover in the open in a temperature stable office environment. It has not been used or charged since I swapped it out with the higher capacity battery that Uniden supplied when they determined that the original battery was insufficient. I urge everyone to check the condition of any spare batteries they have for this radio, and in particular, any of the original "thin" batteries shipped with the radio.

Jake68111

So is the moral of the story to USE the batteries and don't "store" them for any length of time?
Are these types of batteries prone to this and if so, is there anything preventative that can be done?
Owner of both the slim and chunky batteries. Both are looking quite normal.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So is the moral of the story to USE the batteries and don't "store" them for any length of time?
Are these types of batteries prone to this and if so, is there anything preventative that can be done?
Owner of both the slim and chunky batteries. Both are looking quite normal.
It *might* be prudent to rotate batteries - at the very least it would force you to visually inspect them regularly.

Last edited:

mkt853

Just checked mine and it's still fine. I've had it stored away in the original packaging for the last six months or so. Do we know what causes this? Now I'm nervous it will suddenly blow up like the ones in the pictures and catch my house on fire while I am sleeping or away at work.