SDS100/SDS200: **SAFETY ALERT** SDS100 battery severely swelled

kruser

Premium Subscriber
My large SDS battery expanded massively. I had NO idea until I popped the battery cover off. As soon as I unclipped it the cover flew across the room and the battery was expanded. My radio had no receive for the last while and I wonder if that was the reason why? Uniden sent me a label and I shipped them the scanner. I had it back in less than a month with a new battery and the cold solder (issue stated for no receive) issue fixed free of charge. Radio works great again.
Mike

Was your SDS100 being charged most of the time when you found the bad battery?
I'll often leave mine plugged into a charging USB cable regardless if I'm using the radio or not.
The exception was my last large cell. I'd unplugged the charging cable and was just using it standalone without charging it.
That's when that battery swelled. It would not have lost it's charge as it wasn't off the charger that much but I did find it odd that when I stopped leaving it hooked up to a USB cable is also when the battery swelled. I forget now but I think it was within a couple days when it swelled up after I'd unplugged the charge cable. I don't know if the two events are related or if it was just coincidence that the cell swelled not long after I'd stopped charging it continually.
In theory, the charge circuit in the SDS100 should be safe to leave hooked up 24x7 as it shuts down the charge before it could overcharge the lithium cell.

Did parts fall off of your bad pack when you found it all swelled up or did it stay pretty much intact?
I'm talking about just the battery itself and not the compartment door which you mentioned took a flight across the room!

Mine broke one of the three cell packs at its solder joints to the other two packs. Also in mine, the middle cell pack was still normal size but the two outer packs looked like large inflated pillows! None of the individual packs had any voltage left in them.

The good thing is that it didn't violently rupture and catch fire. That can be a spectacular site and it really gives you an idea of how much energy a Lithium cell can store! Of course it can also bun your house down.

Mike445

Was your SDS100 being charged most of the time when you found the bad battery?
I'll often leave mine plugged into a charging USB cable regardless if I'm using the radio or not.
The exception was my last large cell. I'd unplugged the charging cable and was just using it standalone without charging it.
That's when that battery swelled. It would not have lost it's charge as it wasn't off the charger that much but I did find it odd that when I stopped leaving it hooked up to a USB cable is also when the battery swelled. I forget now but I think it was within a couple days when it swelled up after I'd unplugged the charge cable. I don't know if the two events are related or if it was just coincidence that the cell swelled not long after I'd stopped charging it continually.
In theory, the charge circuit in the SDS100 should be safe to leave hooked up 24x7 as it shuts down the charge before it could overcharge the lithium cell.

Did parts fall off of your bad pack when you found it all swelled up or did it stay pretty much intact?
I'm talking about just the battery itself and not the compartment door which you mentioned took a flight across the room!

Mine broke one of the three cell packs at its solder joints to the other two packs. Also in mine, the middle cell pack was still normal size but the two outer packs looked like large inflated pillows! None of the individual packs had any voltage left in them

It was always plugged in but the “charge when on” was disabled. It’s also running 24/7 in my bedroom.
No parts fell off the expanded pack. I’ll add pics to the thread. I never tested them for voltage. I just got the battery out of the house.
I’m just glad it’s all working again and Uniden took care of it all!!
Mike

Attachments

• 449B8566-0E8D-492B-A687-024A821C08BB.jpeg
    449B8566-0E8D-492B-A687-024A821C08BB.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 75

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Actually it speaks well of the cover’s retaining clip.

“Massively expanded”... point well taken. Expanded, yes. Massively? No. A bit of an exaggeration when you consider how little actual room is left inside the battery compartment when occupied by the battery. But when you consider any expansion of a lithium-ion battery a serious concern, “massive” serves accurately as it draws attention to the precautions we need to take when handling them. It wasn’t all that long ago that a reputable cell phone manufacturer had to recall an entire model due to defects in the construction of the L-I batteries used. The batteries have been known to catch fire and/or explode... at lease previous generations of the batteries did, I just don’t know if the technology has improved since then.

AvidHiker

Interesting, was the battery at or near fully charged? I leave mine plugged in, charging disabled, with the battery installed 99% of the time and so far so good. But I also keep the battery around 50% charged (3.7-3.8V), which helps to maintain cell performance over time (most Li-ion batteries are best stored at 50% SOC).

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I believe storing the batteries at approx half charge is more for safety than battery longevity. I’m not saying it doesn’t help longevity, unless it relates to the battery lasting longer because it didn’t blow up!

AvidHiker

I believe storing the batteries at approx half charge is more for safety than battery longevity. I’m not saying it doesn’t help longevity, unless it relates to the battery lasting longer because it didn’t blow up!
Yes, that's another reason, a requirement for shipping - hence my question, if you're leaving the pack fully charged, you may be running a greater risk of swelling the battery.

Anyway, keeping the cell in a fully charged state for months on end will also dramatically reduce the capacity versus storing it around 50% (BU actually recommends 40%). This is a well known fact in RC hobby circles (smart battery packs will actually discharge themselves down to around 40-50% if left sitting unused). Considering the SDS also runs pretty warm, keeping the battery at an elevated temperature, the effect is magnified, see Table 3:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
There’s an all electric auto racing circuit in Europe that races in different countries. As such, the Indy style open wheeled lithium-ion powered vehicles are transported by air aboard two Boeing 747’s. Before each flight the batteries must be examined for any damage and the amount of charge is set to a predetermined, “safe” level that is well below a full charge. This is the opposite approach to transporting or storing pleasure boats, especially in a multiple level boat storage shed... they recommend the gas tanks should be topped off in order to reduce the fumes that can build up in a partially filled tank, and allow for a better outcome should the storage shed catch fire... seems counterproductive but it reduces gas tank explosions spreading fire.

palmerjrusa

It's for cell longevity as well.

The Li-ion cell chemistry is most stable when it's at 40% of it's charge capacity and why it's recommended they be stored in that state or partially discharged if they're not going to be used for a while.
It's also for this reason that devices with Li-ion batteries often leave the factory with the cells around the 50% charge point to minimize cell degradation in storage, while being shipped, time on the shelf etc.

Lots more information here:

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
Li-Ion batteries are notorious for swelling like this - it's a battery material problem, not a Uniden specific problem. I'm typing this on a Pixel phone that is starting to separate because the battery is swelling. Same issue.

Until some new battery technology is developed and becomes mainstream, it's what we have to deal with.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah. It seems to be getting better but it's still enough of a problem that we need to monitor the batteries.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Both of my large batteries have expanded and are no longer safe or usable. And I am pissed enough that I don't want to waste money buying others so they can do the same thing.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand. I have two batteries. One came with the radio and the other was ordered when Uniden came out with the separate charger. Both are still just fine. Maybe it just the luck of the draw.

AvidHiker

Both of my large batteries have expanded and are no longer safe or usable. And I am pissed enough that I don't want to waste money buying others so they can do the same thing.
Just out of curiosity, do your batteries have many charge cycles on them and do you typically keep them topped off? (see my post above, #225)
I'm also wondering if this failure might be more common in cases where folks often use the radio plugged in, battery installed, with charging enabled (while powered up). Because the SDS runs so warm, in this case, you're basically turbo charging the chemical reactions that cause the battery to age. This could also include some undesirable reactions, presumably in defective or damaged cells, that can generate oxygen gas (which is what typically causes the swelling). See the section here, "tips to avoid a swollen battery":

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have these batteries in 4 scanners, a Tecsun radio, several flashlights, TX and RX equipment for stage use for my mandolins, musical instrument tuners, and several battery packs. If anyone thinks I'm gonna fill a room with Lipo bags to keep them charged, they're nuttier than a pecan orchard.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
A911A980-2C48-491B-AAD3-A1F45A0ED40B.jpeg
Friend of mine had this battery I traded a good one of mine for his a few months back. This swelled up2 weeks ago. No this has not been charged since I had it. If anyone battery latch is getting tight to close be careful it might break the latch due to pressure.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Interesting, was the battery at or near fully charged? I leave mine plugged in, charging disabled, with the battery installed 99% of the time and so far so good. But I also keep the battery around 50% charged (3.7-3.8V), which helps to maintain cell performance over time (most Li-ion batteries are best stored at 50% SOC).
I keep mine plugged in most of the time running in one room. I often use the battery at night when I'm in the other room and I turn it off and plug it back in when I go to bed. I guess mine is charged most of the time.
So far I haven't seen anything but I guess you never know. I have to get better about checking it more often.