SDS100/SDS200: **SAFETY ALERT** SDS100 battery severely swelled

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Sounds like a good option has anyone ever ordered from that company, what would shipping and price be just for the battery to the USA? Thanks

I may have to revise that. It shows the SDS100 and SDS100E have different model numbers for the small battery. I wonder what the difference is?

Note 1:
BT-953 = p/n for battery in USA model SDS100
BT-956 = p/n for battery in EU model SDS100E

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I may have to revise that. It shows the SDS100 and SDS100E have different model numbers for the small battery. I wonder what the difference is?

Note 1:

I saw that as well and wondered the same... interesting. Maybe the EU version does not "swell" up!

mule1075

Feed Provider

Note 1:
240v requirement maybe for EU battery.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes so that certification would be the requirement.

I don't think any of the models had any certification or underwriting marks printed on them.
Interestingly, the link to Servicedocs shows pictures and they are for the US BT-953 model and not the BT-956 model.
I wonder if the 956 part number is different because it includes the cover? The listing does not indicate that however. Oh well, good find KevinC!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I saw that as well and wondered the same... interesting. Maybe the EU version does not "swell" up!

Yes, in the description for the Euro battery they state "non-swelling version". Apparently the US part number is the "swelling version". Those Europeans are always one step ahead of us. ;)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The price is 57 Euros. That translates to almost $65. I don't know about shipping. It includes the battery, cover and cushion.

djeplett

Perhaps this might be worth reporting to the (United States)
CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION

Public Incident Reporting - Safer Product

I say this is close of causing a major nasty fire and personal injury !
Uniden would be forced to issue a major recall if deemed bad enough.
I will look into doing that, but since I believe I'm the first and only RR user to post something like this I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's very uncommon. Make that EXTREMELY uncommon.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I will look into doing that, but since I believe I'm the first and only RR user to post something like this I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's very uncommon. Make that EXTREMELY uncommon.