Safety Warning During these times

Status
Not open for further replies.

colodak

Had a recent incident, that has caused me some lifestyle changes. Had my HAM license for a couple years, two years ago I put a sticker on the back of my pickup with my call sign. On the weekends I drive for Uber/Lyft (which is also part of why I don't have a radio hard mounted, too many questions from riders). I live in Denver, which unlike a lot of cities, we've only had sporadic riots/violence. Normally, when I go out to drive, I work 3 am to 10 am on Sat. and Sun. mornings, quiet time, not a lot of other drivers out/about, can usually make decent money.

Few weeks back, 3:30 in the morning, dropped these two young ladies off at their apt. downtown, as I was driving away, I encountered a small staggler group of protestors looking for trouble, did my best to avoid them, however, I did still come into contact with them as they were crossing the street, and as has been shown online, they like to screw with motorists, rideshare drivers are a favorite target, they also seem drawn to "non-stock" looking vehicles. I was giving them their room, they were taking their sweet time crossing, I got a ride request about 10 minutes away, started to creep forward, they continued their slow walk across, finally there was a bit of gap between a few of them and I gunned it, never came close to any of them (might have brushed one, not positive) as I sped away things were thrown.

Two weeks later, came out one morning to leave for work and something felt off, couldn't put my finger on it. Stopped to get gas then I realized, my stereo antenna was broken off and something was smeared on one headlight. I live in a suburb of Denver, rarely do we have issues in my neighborhood.

Later in the day messaged a friend with Denver police about what had happened, in the course of the discussion, it came up about me being a HAM operator, he asked if I anything identifying me as such on my vehicle, then it hit me, I mentioned my sticker, he reminded me that the FCC website is public information, anyone of these idiots could have seen it, knew what it was and how to look it up.

I have since removed the sticker and a couple of others from the vehicle to make it less identifiable, but thought it would be a good warning to give to others that might have the stickers or ham radio license plates.

KE0GXN

This has been discussed on here various times and in various forms....everything from road rage people being able to look you up, to burglars using the ULS to know who has expensive radio equipment in their houses...some have even suggested on here that criminals monitor the local repeaters to know when you are away....

I have had ham plates for awhile.....not worried about it, but thanks.

Last edited:

pb_lonny

I stopped "advertising" my hobby a long time ago on my vehicles, no external aerials or stickers of any sort.

K9DWB

QRT
Thanks for the pointer. More than that, I'm glad your sticky situation went as well as it did. I have debated with whether or not to show any ham info on the car. I'm still neutral, not for or against it right now. For a variety of reasons, especially now that I've become disabled, I exercise my right to carry a concealed discourager of bad guys in the form of a 12 shot .45 ACP Taurus Tactical PT 24/7 OSS/DS. I figured it was the smaller of my choices. The other being a bit larger is a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag with 6.5" barrel that I'd inherited from my father when he passed in 1992.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
never came close to any of them (might have brushed one, not positive)
Either you were close to brush them or not close at all. I’m not saying retaliatory practices are appropriate, but if you brushed by me speeding away, I’d be angry too. Pedestrians have the right of way over cars.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Had a recent incident, that has caused me some lifestyle changes. Had my HAM license for a couple years, two years ago I put a sticker on the back of my pickup with my call sign. On the weekends I drive for Uber/Lyft (which is also part of why I don't have a radio hard mounted, too many questions from riders). I live in Denver, which unlike a lot of cities, we've only had sporadic riots/violence. Normally, when I go out to drive, I work 3 am to 10 am on Sat. and Sun. mornings, quiet time, not a lot of other drivers out/about, can usually make decent money.

Few weeks back, 3:30 in the morning, dropped these two young ladies off at their apt. downtown, as I was driving away, I encountered a small staggler group of protestors looking for trouble, did my best to avoid them, however, I did still come into contact with them as they were crossing the street, and as has been shown online, they like to screw with motorists, rideshare drivers are a favorite target, they also seem drawn to "non-stock" looking vehicles. I was giving them their room, they were taking their sweet time crossing, I got a ride request about 10 minutes away, started to creep forward, they continued their slow walk across, finally there was a bit of gap between a few of them and I gunned it, never came close to any of them (might have brushed one, not positive) as I sped away things were thrown.

Two weeks later, came out one morning to leave for work and something felt off, couldn't put my finger on it. Stopped to get gas then I realized, my stereo antenna was broken off and something was smeared on one headlight. I live in a suburb of Denver, rarely do we have issues in my neighborhood.

Later in the day messaged a friend with Denver police about what had happened, in the course of the discussion, it came up about me being a HAM operator, he asked if I anything identifying me as such on my vehicle, then it hit me, I mentioned my sticker, he reminded me that the FCC website is public information, anyone of these idiots could have seen it, knew what it was and how to look it up.

I have since removed the sticker and a couple of others from the vehicle to make it less identifiable, but thought it would be a good warning to give to others that might have the stickers or ham radio license plates.

It is very very clear that the earlier incident and being a ham operator had nothing to do with what happened to your vehicle--only paranoia. Even when an accident or some other encounter happpens, how often doesI have my ham callsign on my tag and have no fear of doing so.

It very perfectly clear that the earlier incident and being a ham operator had absolutely nothing to do with the vandalism of your vehicle--only paranoia. Your are trying to over connect things that are not connected. Also, I doubt the smear on your headlight was tied to the broken antenna. If someone broke your antenna, they would have broken your headlight not smeared something on it. But I am sorry someone damaged your vehicle. I will add that I lost my car radio antenna, but it simply broke off over time due to metal fatigue (I was driving and saw it out of my rear-view mirror..

belvdr

No longer interested in living
But pedestrians do not have the right to impede traffic.
Possibly. One of our local news stations covered this for a town near me. It’s not as cut and dry as you would believe. Regardless, impeding traffic doesn’t mean you can speed past people and possibly brush them with your car.

DJ11DLN

Possibly. One of our local news stations covered this for a town near me. It’s not as cut and dry as you would believe. Regardless, impeding traffic doesn’t mean you can speed past people and possibly brush them with your car.
I suspect it will vary a lot by location. Here they most generally just won't tolerate people blocking roads or otherwise holding up traffic. Protesters are welcome to come and do their thing peacefully but they have to stay up on the sidewalk.

And I agree, you shouldn't endanger pedestrians regardless of what they are doing. But actions do have consequences.

KE0GXN

It is very very clear that the earlier incident and being a ham operator had nothing to do with what happened to your vehicle--only paranoia. Even when an accident or some other encounter happpens, how often doesI have my ham callsign on my tag and have no fear of doing so.

It very perfectly clear that the earlier incident and being a ham operator had absolutely nothing to do with the vandalism of your vehicle--only paranoia. Your are trying to over connect things that are not connected. Also, I doubt the smear on your headlight was tied to the broken antenna. If someone broke your antenna, they would have broken your headlight not smeared something on it. But I am sorry someone damaged your vehicle. I will add that I lost my car radio antenna, but it simply broke off over time due to metal fatigue (I was driving and saw it out of my rear-view mirror..

That is all these threads do, is bring out the paranoia folks. Awhile back someone even suggested IDing (saying their call sign in public) on the repeater was a bad idea.....o_O

Where does it end?

Maybe the FCC should abolish callsigns all together and just allow code names (handles) on the air... (like another radio service I know)...I'll chose "Rubber Duck".....:ROFLMAO:

ecps92

Don't assume it was your FCC license, there are also [as we already know] Bad Apples in LE etc and they may have a friend who Ran [violation of multiple laws/policies etc] your plate thru the DMV as well. - No way to know which was the issue, except file a complaint with the RMV and/or Colorado CBI

15plus1

Don't assume it was your FCC license, there are also [as we already know] Bad Apples in LE etc and they may have a friend who Ran [violation of multiple laws/policies etc] your plate thru the DMV as well. - No way to know which was the issue, except file a complaint with the RMV and/or Colorado CBI

Oh Please !!!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
There is a dark side to ham radio. Like life, there are fringe folks who are borderline stalkers and creepers. I know of a case a few years ago that resulted in a felony stalking conviction of those involved and it all apparently centered around ham radio. One just has to use due diligence in who they allow into their homes and their circle. In the early 90s, a local ham used to drive around and use a scanner to listen in on analog phone calls because he "wanted to know what was being said". Never mind intentionally intercepting such calls was a violation of the ECPA, it was just creepy to hear someone put that much effort into it. Driving across town spending gas and time to stalk someone really makes a reasonable person wonder what the next act might be.

Fortunately, Georgia law allows a reasonable person to use force up to and including, deadly force to defend their home and family against anyone who commits, or believes another is about to commit, a forcible felony against them. So forewarned is fair warned. That being said, if one is so concerned about total privacy, indulging in a hobby which requires interaction with others may not be for them. Today's life, everything is online. Any participation in social media and even forums like this can expose one to having their identity known publicly.

A P.O. box is all that is required to receive and reply to official correspondence from the FCC. But then again, those few stalkers will go to great lengths to play cat and mouse games to try and DF someone and find out their location. It's an inherit risk of using anything that transmits RF on public airwaves. In the O/P's case, I doubt ham radio was even a factor. Just rioters doing what rioters do.

The notion that cops misusing NCIC/NLETS or whatever resource is baseless and without facts. Anyone who works in this business (I do) knows that misusing such tools is quickly detectable, audited, and can result in going from good citizen to convict. Ask this lady how well that's working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.