Sale prices in effect now

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Around here the RS -106 and -197 have been <$300 since last summer. Judging from the RSH stock price performance these past months, I think they're lucky to still be in business. The company certainly treated a friend of mine, a longtime manager, shabbily. T'is a far cry from when I worked for them in '75.

SCPD

QRT
Thats weird the 106 is more exspensive that the 197. I also heard a rumor last winter that radio shack was going to just specifically do phones, and sell nothing else. I dont know if they would just move to stores in the mall or what... thats all I know

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes RidgeScan, that is true, go get one. I have one and the 106. Matter a fact I'm going to buy me another 197 also.

ridgescan

Yes RidgeScan, that is true, go get one. I have one and the 106. Matter a fact I'm going to buy me another 197 also.
thanks for that-way ahead of you:) told Rose we were going to detour to RS on the way to shopping and I picked one up:D with her blessing, of course...which I know she'll always give cause she's sweet like that! Bubba you sound like I made a smart choice-that is great. Off to go play now.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I also heard a rumor last winter that radio shack was going to just specifically do phones, and sell nothing else. I dont know if they would just move to stores in the mall or what... thats all I know

Rumors that Radio Shack was going under have been around for over 20 years. Looking at their financial reports, those that would like to see the company go away and thousands of workers unemployed are still full of hot air.

ridgescan

I have very very good news on initial run before orientation-this scanner gets South San Francisco police on 488.4625.
Which sounds like no biggie being it's only 7.8 miles LOS to their transmitter-except the northwestern portion of Mount San Bruno almost totally blocks that signal and the 785d, 350a, and pro62 NEVER got reliable voice copy on this agency off the d130j. The pro2066 in my truck did get better although annoying voice copy than the rest when I tried it out up here on the roof discone, but the pro197 actually gets it with fully reliable voice copy with minimal scratch. In short, as I typed this I have been hearing every darn word out of SSF for the first time.
Needless to say, the other agencies clear down through San Jose at 40+ miles are so much clearer too. This means the pro197 is going to catch me some further-out agencies on analog which in my book is the mark of a great scanner.

vinzep491

It's happening, just not fast enough for some.

I tend to disagree with this statement. They are too motivated by the cell phone kick backs to ever be what they once were. The RS we used to know and love will never be the same...

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
The RS we used to know and love will never be the same...

I don't know about you but in the last 20 years I have not seen new a radio or TV that I could fix replacing a tube or transistor. Maybe that's why Radio Shack quit selling tubes, Large capacitors, resisters, and the many different IC's and transistors. Even my 15 watt iron is no match for the surface mount components that one needs a microscope to place correctly in the board. Don't even see the colored bands on the resistors to know the value.

In my store, I have seen a increase in small circuit board projects by Velleman and robotic parts.

ridgescan

thanks Dan I will give that a try because it is otherwise a helluva scanner! I bought it to get away from having to run more than one scanner simply because of reception inadequacies. It is completely deaf on vhf hi when hooked to the d130j on the roof...so I tried the supplied whip and it just barely got one weather channel with the whip fully retracted. That sux man. but it does point to your suggestion. I already tossed it back into its box so I am still going there tomorrow to discuss it with them. I still think the entire vhf hi spectrum being deaf is inexcusable-sorry.

EDIT I looked at that link to the old thread and it looks promising! Much thanks for your help Dan. I will give that filter a try!

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Ridgescan
You&#8217;ll be happy once you get the FM trap/filter. All the parts should be obtainable at a decently stocked Radio Shack if you plan on BNC to BNC connection. Overloading of the receiver front end is common on GRE and RS scanners. They should make filters part of the kit if you plan on hooking up to an external antenna ;). Again, there is nothing wrong with your scanner. We&#8217;ve all had the same issues. Especially if hooked to a discone. I don&#8217;t have any FM transmitters near me but the filter still fixed the problem. Let us know how it works out.
Dan

Last edited:

RickS31

thanks Dan I will give that a try because it is otherwise a helluva scanner! I bought it to get away from having to run more than one scanner simply because of reception inadequacies. It is completely deaf on vhf hi when hooked to the d130j on the roof...so I tried the supplied whip and it just barely got one weather channel with the whip fully retracted. That sux man. but it does point to your suggestion. I already tossed it back into its box so I am still going there tomorrow to discuss it with them. I still think the entire vhf hi spectrum being deaf is inexcusable-sorry.

EDIT I looked at that link to the old thread and it looks promising! Much thanks for your help Dan. I will give that filter a try!

IMHO you should not need an FM trap for the Weather channels reception. If they're dead completely, chances are that section of the radio is too. Your first take may have been correct on it being defective unless you're in a completely NOAA radio dead zone (not many of those).

wise871

Database Admin
Rick
In all my years I have not heard of the GRE/RS scanner coming from the factory being deaf on just one particular band but I have read tons of post about them having front end overload on VHF and airbands. What I have read tried myself was just simply pick up a FM filter and it works it's magic, especially hooked up to a discone.

All Ridgescan has to do to be sure is have RS swap out the scanner for piece of mind and while he is there pick up a FM filter and adapters. Then he can try it with both and see for himself. If it does it again without the filter than we know it is just simply a front end issue which is common. If it works fine with out the filter , great. Than he can simply get his money back.

RickS31

Rick
In all my years I have not heard of the GRE/RS scanner coming from the factory being deaf on just one particular band but I have read tons of post about them having front end overload on VHF and airbands. What I have read tried myself was just simply pick up a FM filter and it works it's magic, especially hooked up to a discone.

All Ridgescan has to do to be sure is have RS swap out the scanner for piece of mind and while he is there pick up a FM filter and adapters. Then he can try it with both and see for himself. If it does it again without the filter than we know it is just simply a front end issue which is common. If it works fine with out the filter , great. Than he can simply get his money back.

I certainly would never argue with your recommendation on the FM filter. I have two of these little beasties and they are reasonably deaf on that band. Very seldom get anything and I know, especially with an external high antenna, it would get much worse. However, all I was saying was that never have I not at least received NOAA and I'm in very high RF metro area. It may be a little staticy but always gets it. If he's using the included ducky, he should get that at least. If he's not, then his radio I suspect, has a bad band. But picking up one of those traps is always a great idea if you're interested in those freqs. Totally agree with your recommendations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.