Salem New P2 800 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

JATO757

Started seeing 24011 popping up a lot as a dispatch channel the past week. Could be Keizer TAC or possibly Woodburn Dispatch (not sure if they're part of the P-25 plan). Definitely LEO though.

As for Salem PD, @Fielder3, you seem to know a lot about this system. Old news was that Salem PD was thinking of going encrypted. Any word on that from what you're hearing?

wheels1911

I think 24011 is independence. Maybe, I was also hearing papa units on a 24012 I believe

toofarwest

I think 24011 is independence. Maybe, I was also hearing papa units on a 24012 I believe

I know very little of the whole P25 system BUT

I have not heard a word about any of the Polk County agencies switching, Polk County SO, Dallas, Monmouth, Independence PD and Grand Ronde Tribal all share Polk Main/Ops. I cant image any one single agency could afford to switch unless all of them were willing to.

wheels1911

I know very little of the whole P25 system BUT

I have not heard a word about any of the Polk County agencies switching, Polk County SO, Dallas, Monmouth, Independence PD and Grand Ronde Tribal all share Polk Main/Ops. I cant image any one single agency could afford to switch unless all of them were willing to.

I mean I probably heard wrong. But on TG 24011 I heard an address in Independence. and 24012 I swear I heard a papa unit.

Other then that there was not much activity

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
The database was updated and it now shows that 24011 is a patch to Marion County Sheriff 3 and 24012 is a patch to Polk County Law Dispatch (Law Main).

toofarwest

The database was updated and it now shows that 24011 is a patch to Marion County Sheriff 3 and 24012 is a patch to Polk County Law Dispatch (Law Main).

OK, a patch for Salems new radios (pre P25) to listen/talk with Marion Co SO and Polk Co SO, and should also patch with the old B Keizer or their new channel when its back up.

Padovani

In my conversation with some Polk Cty. officials, about 9 months ago, I asked specifically about this and they were pretty blunt: "Unless the feds give us a whole pile of money that can only be spent on a radio system, we're not going to change. We can't afford it."

The only agency that might be able to afford a switch is the Tribal Police, and they won't if the rest of the county doesn't.

Baker845

I'm sure, Salem 911 will be able to patch to any repeater, Polk so,Marion so, Woodburn ect. OSP with there upgrade can now Patch together any of there Talk groups to there Vhf repeaters. Heard it for first time Thursday.

JATO757

Not a peep out of Salem today. Did they flip the switch?

It would appear so. I've been listening for about an hour and a half on two radios and haven't heard a peep. Even had a SPD unit blaze past my house Code 3, but nothing out of the scanner. Monitoring the Salem P25 system, but nothing heard on there either.

I did hear radio techs doing signal checks on the UHF FM frequencies over the weekend, so it's possible they were doing final testing before flipping the switch today.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Still a strong believer public safety dispatch channels should be unencrypted for transparency and media reasons.

Edit: It's official.

Salem Police Department - 570 Crime and Safety updates — Nextdoor

Edit 2: It appears SPD has created a Broadcastify feed of the dispatch net with a 15 minute delay. Personally, I'm okay with this as long as SPD doesn't take the feed down during major events.

Salem Police Dispatch Live Audio Feed

Last edited:

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
Media Release: Salem Police updates existing radio system
Salem Police Department from Salem Police Department · 8 min ago

Photo from Salem Police D.

The Salem Police Department flipped the switch on a new radio system on Tuesday, August 11. Salem Police officers are now using an upgraded, digital 800 MHz radio system. The switch comes after years of researching and building a system that for the first time will allow interoperability within the different city departments and with many neighboring police and fire agencies.

Interoperability within City departments and neighboring agencies is a key feature of this new system. For example, Salem officers often work with the fire or public works crews and need to directly communicate over the radio. The new system will permit departments to communicate in real time instead of using the phone or the dispatcher to relay information.

In addition to interoperability, the new radio system features the ability to encrypt the radio communications. The encryption will include a 15-minute delay in the broadcast of radio transmissions. This delay allows officers to communicate with each other over the radio during critical incidents without the concern the suspect is actively listening to the police transmissions in real time.

Chief Moore pointed to the many phone apps and scanners that have become common place in society. Said Moore, “We have numerous examples where it was clear our response to a crime had been compromised and those involved took actions to defeat, or place our officers in a dangerous position, as they knew our response plans and tactics.”

With the addition of encryption and the transmission delay, Chief Moore wants the public to know that he understands and welcomes the ability of the community to listen and know what their police and fire agencies are involved in. He added, “The delay will still allow the community the ability to listen to the public safety activity, but in a manner which does not endanger officers as they respond to calls for service.”
The 15-minute delay involves decryption of the dispatch audio, and then it will stream to the Internet. Community members who want to listen to police and fire broadcasts can do so on Broadcastify and use the search function to find for the desired channel within the state by county.

JATO757

Has anyone actually got the feed to work? I've tried it 3 different times over the past 48 hours on two different devices and get nothing but a carrier, haven't heard one transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.