Salem New P2 800 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padovani

Has anyone actually got the feed to work? I've tried it 3 different times over the past 48 hours on two different devices and get nothing but a carrier, haven't heard one transmission.

This morning at 0913 I heard the radio shop calling dispatch to test a radio. Prior to that I only heard dispatch acknowledging a couple of unknown transmissions; couldn't hear the originating station.

southradio

Had a chance to listen while in Salem over the long holiday weekend. Sure enough, at least tower A is still being used as the transit system was active on the analog system. Listening to them, bus operators were occasionally discussing with the dispatcher the use of their Android tablets. Don't know how that might affect them if and when they move over to the digital system. Also heard Polk County Law "Main", Marion County SO channel 3 and Keizer PD while I had the chance to listen. There were several TGIDs that were encrypted such as 24000, 24001, 24005, 24008 and 24009 that popped up but with the 15-minute delay from Salem PD being broadcast over Broadcastify, it's hard to determine whether all of those were Salem PD or a mix of Salem and other agencies that are using it. Also, Keizer PD channel 2 on 24031 is something I noted. And, my relative mentioned that there had been a recent newspaper article in the local newspaper that had quite a bit of detail on the system including number of towers, number of channels used by Salem PD, etc. Here's a link to that article I found in a Google search: Salem police have updated encrypted radio system, but it delays broadcast by 15 minutes which I thought was interesting as were the comments from the guy from Eugene PD about their system.

southradio

And, a few more noted while in Salem recently. 24362 and 24363 appear to be Public Works TGs as they were talking about street maintenance. 24369 appears to be parking patrols. Also heard 24007 encrypted so perhaps Salem PD has the entire block from 24000 through 24009. I haven't seen any additional updates to the database so perhaps others haven't encountered these. The buses are still using the old analog TRS so haven't moved over, assuming they will do so at some point.

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Based on the recordings I have, here is what I can have. Waiting for more recordings to confirm what I have and then I'll submit them to the database.

24261 - Fire training
24350 - Heard several calls for "Public Works Dispatch", "station 1".
24351 - Public works streets
24352 - Public Works Streets - talking about de-icing
24369 - Parking enforcement

kd7jfv

Database Admin
It appears the legacy Salem A & B tower 800 trunked systems are no longer broadcasting. I'll be moving them to the depreciated area of the database. So Long "A tower".

southradio

Listening to Salem's P25 system while in the area earlier this week, I noticed a few things that I couldn't locate in the RadioReference database for talkgroups. I had the scanner in TGID search mode and found 24282 as Keizer Fire Ops 22 as they were dispatched to a house fire. Also heard activity on 24361 which sounded like it could have been some kind of public works activity, 24365 the same and 24361 which had a distorted two tones followed by a warbler and no voice following that so perhaps some kind of alarm notification or something. The usual encrypted 240xx TGIDs which are likely Salem Police and now with word that WCCCA's new P25 system going to have all law encrypted I guess that means all of the Oregon P25 systems will have law encrypted except for OSP and those city and local agencies that have TGIDs set up on the OSPRS. Keizer PD being the exception as still in the clear on the Salem P25 system.

southradio

One more thing about the City of Salem's P25 system. I didn't hear any activity from the public bus system. In past visits, there was always frequent radio traffic heard on the old analog trunked system which appears to now be shut down. Perhaps the bus system moved to a commercial system or their own system. I'd heard them talking about having new tablets they were using and dealing with problems associated with them but that was way, way back.

southradio

Well, that confirms my guess as to what happened to them. At times in the past when I was in the Salem area and listening to the old system the bus service would be the most active user on it. Thanks for the update.

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Regarding the post above, I am hearing Salem public buses on the Fleet/Silke DMR system. I believe they are using TG 218, 219 and 238.

What system are you hearing them on? I don't see a Silke DMR system listed for Marion County.

Last edited:

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Salem Area Mass Transit may have gone the way of VOIP radios.

"Voice Communications System: SAMTD is intending to transition to a voice-over-IP (VoIP) solution through a commercial carrier as an alternative to land mobile radio (LMR). As part of their proposal, SAMTD expects contractors to outline their technical approach to VoIP communications for SAMTD’ directly operated fixed-route bus fleet, as well as mobile and portable communications for maintenance, road supervisors, and other non-CAD users. This solution must be fully integrated with the CAD/AVL system. As part of this project, vendors are expected to provide testing that confirms voice communications coverage and quality would be as good as or better than SAMTD currently experiences with LMR. Data communications would utilize the same commercial carrier services used for VoIP. "

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
What system are you hearing them on? I don't see a Silke DMR system listed for Marion County.
First I incorrectly said it was a DMR system. This is NXDN. Doing my own research, I have found these Silke frequencies active in the Silverton area: 452.2625 452.975 462.20 462.425 While trying to find the Canby Area Transit talk groups I have found plenty of bus activity in Salem. Still looking for Canby! Found the school buses on TG 167 tho.

Buzz259

Hello, I’m new to digital scanning, but was able to load the Salem P25 system (eliminating SPD and SPW groups) on my BCD996p2 scanner with FreeSCAN and it works great. My main interest is KPD, MCSO and PCSO. I separated the KFD from the KPD group. The only issue I’m having is that I’m hearing transmission from perhaps public works, parking enforcement and others and I don’t know where it’s coming from. The TGID that I’m seeing doesn’t appear in any groups of the P25 system that I can see. Some of the TGID’s are 24284, 24365, 24361(making tone noise) and the most active is 24369. This still happens even when turning off all but one talk group. Is there a way to eliminate these unwanted transmissions? Thanks!

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
If the scanner is in ID search mode it will be scanning the TGIDs you have programmed in and also scan any unencrypted talkgroup that is not programmed into the radio. If you set the Salem system to ID Scan mode it will only scan the TGIDs you have programmed in and ignore all talkgroups that are not programmed. When the scanner is scanning the P25 system and there is no traffic the screen will say ID SCAN or ID SEARCH depending on what you have the system set to. You can set this in the Salem P25 system settings in the radio's menu or in the FREEScan software. If you look at the system in FREEScan you should see an option for ID Search or ID Scan.

Hello, I’m new to digital scanning, but was able to load the Salem P25 system (eliminating SPD and SPW groups) on my BCD996p2 scanner with FreeSCAN and it works great. My main interest is KPD, MCSO and PCSO. I separated the KFD from the KPD group. The only issue I’m having is that I’m hearing transmission from perhaps public works, parking enforcement and others and I don’t know where it’s coming from. The TGID that I’m seeing doesn’t appear in any groups of the P25 system that I can see. Some of the TGID’s are 24284, 24365, 24361(making tone noise) and the most active is 24369. This still happens even when turning off all but one talk group. Is there a way to eliminate these unwanted transmissions? Thanks!

kd7jfv

Database Admin
It is a P25 simulcast system. You should be able to listen just fine with that. That being said, you may have some simulcast problems depending on your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.