Salineville, Ohio - lay off everyone in the police department except Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

This is the most asinine thing I have seen a city government do. How do they expect the Chief to fulfill his administrative duties and work patrol? The bigger question is why even have a police department. This small village should be contracting with the Sheriff’s Department. I am sure if this community was really concerned with the safety of its citizens it could find other places to help reduce the $120,000 deficit.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
This is the most asinine thing I have seen a city government do. How do they expect the Chief to fulfill his administrative duties and work patrol? The bigger question is why even have a police department. This small village should be contracting with the Sheriff’s Department. I am sure if this community was really concerned with the safety of its citizens it could find other places to help reduce the $120,000 deficit.

I'd have to agree!

Not to mention, the Fed. Gov. can give Maricopa county, Houston, and Miami-Dade a 150k, 330k and 300k respectively to buy drones, but give no help for basic policing?

I think, if nothing else, they need to hire someone who understands the homeland security grant process. (I'm sure they could think of something they need to protect)

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Just get rid of the department, consolidation is the name of the game now a days, it's happening all over. the only problem might be that it would cost more at first to eliminate the positions, but in the long run it should save them some money.

Well, I understand your point, but local cops know their beat, they know their citizens, and when something happens, they can usually know who did it.

Then weigh in response time. A local cop can arrive within 1-3 mins. with life saving knowledge/apparatus, compared to over 5mins. for more rural EMTs (5mins.=brain death without oxygen)

So, In my opinion, we could save money here, and buy drones elsewhere.

Or... Save lives, and provide a better community here, and buy 1 less drone elsewhere.

Than again, we could just buy lots of drones, and fire all the cops. Hellfires make a great deterrent ;)

GrumpyGuard

I think, if nothing else, they need to hire someone who understands the homeland security grant process. (I'm sure they could think of something they need to protect)

The problem is they may have to pay back a $75,000 grant because they don't have any full time officers.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I guess I took "the village is facing revenue cuts of $100,000" And "The village has 120,000 less in general funds this year as compared to last" as the problem.

I couldn't understand the COPS pay back part, considering 2 officers alone racked up 126hrs of OT last pay period. At time and a half, that's what? 189 reg hrs? Meaning they could pay 2 more FT officers, and be within COPS guidelines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.