Salisbury / Rowan P25 Phase1 High BER

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

how do those pagers work like that?
like do you setup the different towers and then a list of tgids you want to monitor or can you minitor a full site like wildcard or what?

OK, bear with me............ It'll take me a few minutes to get it typed out. I'm going to add the info in my next post. Stand By

KM4WLV

OK, hopefully I can make this as clear as mud for you reconrider8............

I'm going to describe how I've got my G5 set up which will work for the G4 as well, just minus the dual band part. Not sure how much you've read on the operation of the G series pagers. The G5 series will do Analog Conventional, P25 Conventional, and P25 Trunking. As it stands right now the G5 will only do Quick Call 2 (2 Tone) on analog, but the firmware to add QC 2 on the P25 side is in it's final stages of testing and should be released just about anytime now. I'm sure you're well aware how stuff on the conventional side works so I'll focus on the 7/800 P25 Trunking side.

On the G4/5 series the channel knob on top goes from 1 to 8, and is capable of multiple zones. (Exact numbers you'll have to look up because I can't recall them right off). In each zone you can mix analog & P25 in the same zone, but not on the same channel/knob position. On each knob position you can have more than one channel/talkgroup to scan, but again you'd have to look up exact numbers. And we all know that you can't technically hold/pause on a frequency/talkgroup if there's more than one with that particular knob position. To remedy that when programming the pager on the trunked side and you get to the Zone and Channel Setting screen under receiving mode you'll choose Trunking TG Scan & when you scroll down to List Members you'll only add one talkgroup & then you have the ability to "park" on a single talkgroup.

It's easier to show than to explain. If you will download the G5 PPS from Unication (if you've not already) I'd be happy to send you a copy of my codeplug so you can see how its constructed. It might make it easier. And as I've offered before, anyone in North Carolina that is near or around Salisbury (Rowan County) I'd be happy to meet with anyone and let them take a look at my G5, & show the in's and out's of the PPS. Just shoot me a PM with your email address.

CFP387

Folks, Daniel is exactly right. If you sit down with the PPS and play around with it and figure out exactly what you want, you can make the G4/5 pager work almost like a scanner with much, much better reception and voice quality. I look for these pagers to really get popular around here once the QCII upgrade is released.

Just like Daniel, I've shown my G5 to several fire chiefs of area departments and they (aside from not even knowing about it) couldn't believe how well it works with our simulcast trunked system. I have shown them how it works and guided them though how I have my device programmed showing them different options on how to set them up. The on duty off duty status function is also something that they liked. The chief officer of the department can have complete control of how each pager operates depending on the duty status of the personnel.

I would go as far as to say that if anyone is looking to buy a P25 scanner, do your homework first, read and re-read the posts about the Unication pagers and think long and hard before you buy. Take it from someone who has purchased two P25 Uniden scanners then later purchased a G5. I'd bet that you'd be happier buying the G5. Sure, you can't scan two different systems at the same time, but they are only a switch away and that difference is minute compared to the clarity and the reception you'll get with the G-Series devices.

KM4WLV

Folks, Daniel is exactly right. If you sit down with the PPS and play around with it and figure out exactly what you want, you can make the G4/5 pager work almost like a scanner with much, much better reception and voice quality. I look for these pagers to really get popular around here once the QCII upgrade is released.

Just like Daniel, I've shown my G5 to several fire chiefs of area departments and they (aside from not even knowing about it) couldn't believe how well it works with our simulcast trunked system. I have shown them how it works and guided them though how I have my device programmed showing them different options on how to set them up. The on duty off duty status function is also something that they liked. The chief officer of the department can have complete control of how each pager operates depending on the duty status of the personnel.

I would go as far as to say that if anyone is looking to buy a P25 scanner, do your homework first, read and re-read the posts about the Unication pagers and think long and hard before you buy. Take it from someone who has purchased two P25 Uniden scanners then later purchased a G5. I'd bet that you'd be happier buying the G5. Sure, you can't scan two different systems at the same time, but they are only a switch away and that difference is minute compared to the clarity and the reception you'll get with the G-Series devices.

Shannon hit the nail on the head. If anyone is considering the purchase of a P25 scanner to monitor a simulcast system I would seriously encourage you to look into the G series pagers. They work flawlessly in situations where Linear Simulcast Distortion issues are present, such as what we see with our system here in Rowan County. We have a very well built system that has an absolute awesome footprint for coverage. Yes, the G series pagers lack the ability to search a specific band of frequencies, they "technically" can't hold on a specific frequency or talkgroup, and maybe a few other features. The ability to hold on specific talkgroups can be overcome with some smart programming. And with the exception of scanning the air or military bands most people these days monitor specific frequencies or systems.

Unication has years of experience in the manufacture of wireless devices, and ensuring as close to flawless receiving of radio signals as possible. These G series pagers pretty much eradicate the whole LSD problems experienced with scanners. They have bluetooth built in so you can monitor discretely with an earpiece, or a set of wireless earbuds like I do from time to time. Not to mention that the size of the device is less cumbersome to carry, and looks a lot better if you're dressed up or in uniform (if you're worried about your fashion sense lol).

In addition to monitoring the Salisbury - Rowan P25 system, I monitor the Charlotte UASI System (Urban Area Security Initiative) Regional System which is used by departments in Mecklenburg, Gaston, Union, Stanly, Cabarrus, and Iredell Counties, & the NC VIPER statewide system. It performs flawlessly on each of them. I've also used it to monitor the P25 system in Horry County, SC.

My apologies for halfway turning this reply into what may sound like a sales pitch, but having used a Uniden BCD396XT, my Motorola XTS5000's, and the Unication G5 to monitor our system here in Rowan County, the G5 is the only devices performance that has matched & at a few times worked better than my XTS5000's when it comes to a device for monitor only and I use my XTS5000 every day.

Again, anyone that is here in Rowan County, or relatively close, that is thinking of investing in a new device and is considering the G5 I'll be happy to meet up and let you see one in person as well as the in's and out's of the G Series PPS. Don't make the mistake of getting a device that doesn't perform and then have to spend more money to fix that mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.