Same old questions.. I'm sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileslong

I want to preface by saying that I'm sure these questions have been asked a million times and for that I apologize.

I'm trying to program this Whistler ws1065 and have hit a wall. I'm using ARC500.

The data I'm using is from RR. I had to choose a site, which has frequencies in it.. and I suspected that was my problem? I saw a few youtube videos that said the site doesn't really matter. Just some conflicting information out there.

The link is just showing what I'm using.. it's basically fire/ems/police. I have no signal bars on the LCD screen either. I'll post a screenshot of the trunk info.

Read the reviews and the biggest complaint was the set up.. thought it can't be that hard, but damn. I even operate P2P licensed and unlicensed radio links that seem easier to work with than this lol.

What on earth am I doing wrong here?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    92.3 KB · Views: 20

mileslong

When I say that I had to choose a site.. I meant the trunk frequency. I'm new to this, so excuse my jargon or lack thereof.

Swipesy

Mileslong, your initial reaction is normal to be frustrated at programming the 1065 but once you grasp the concept it will be a breeze to program your scanner. Here are the basic steps.

1. For the System chose a tower within that system that is closest to where you are located.
2. Enter the Red and blue tower frequencies in the system and select Auto P25.
3. Under the system then enter the Talkgroup numbers and alpha tag for the TG and assign them to a ScanList, 1 for example.
4. Make sure that ScanList 1 (for example) is enabled.

Keep in mind that not all towers necessarily have all talkgroups affiliated with a particular tower.

Start with a few TG's to see if it works. If it does then you can expand your selection of TG and ScanLists.

I use Win500 and PSREdit to program my scanner so I can't can't program it in ARC500 for you to try. But if you get hung up still I am sure someone else on here will chime in. If not I can do it in my program and you can then import into ARC500.

Keep us posted and "we" will get you up and rumming.

mileslong

I couldn't find a tower that close to me. But I found this other page and I replaced the freqs that were in there, with these... (link below)

I woke up this morning and was surprised to see that I am picking up some stuff... but I feel like with 19 things loaded in, that I should be hearing more. Here is the page I'm referencing..

Am I at least on the right path? What would be the harm in loading in additional freqs that are relatively close? Or would there be additional delay? Also, should I have signal bars showing? I'm sorry for all the questions.. I just want to get this thing set.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have ARC500 also. Please attach your programming file and I will check it. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped file to attach it. What is your city and county?

mileslong

Thank you. I was messing with it, and found the Paola tower site.. which is about 15 minutes from here. Not sure if I did it right or not.

Louisburg
Miami County

Attachments

• ks1.2.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 2

mileslong

Pretty sure I got it! Fell asleep at my desk trying last night, lol.

Thinking I'll need to order a better antenna for it though... seems to be hit and miss.

Swipesy

Mileslong, to answer your question of what harm from loading other frequencies for other close towers is something you will have to play with once you are sure you are hearing something. The problem is if your radio hears both towers and they both are carrying your TG then you may get simulcast distortion and what you hear will be garbled. With the 1065 you can set how the scanner treats multiple towers. But that is getting ahead of yourself. Get the scanner to work with your closest tower first. Then move to the next step of how to set the scanner for multiple towers on the same system. Tvengr is a good guy and since he has ARC500 he will certainly teach you how to set the scanner for step 2.

mileslong

Ah ok, I see. Well it looks like there are 3 towers in this area, all with multiple freqs being broadcast from them. I have have some equipment already at one of the tower sites, lol. Part of a 30 mile 1 gig link. Didn't ever pay attention to who else was in there.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It looks like everything is set up correctly. I would set Multi-Site to Off since you have only the frequencies for one site. That would prevent the scanner from searching for another site. In most P25 systems, it is only necessary to enter the red control channel and blue alternate frequencies. The voice frequency information is carried on the control channel. I see that you have not assigned scan lists for the Louisburg talkgroups. You are using only a single scan list for all talkgroups and conventional frequencies. It helps to select what you want to monitor by assigning talkgroups and conventional frequencies to multiple scan lists. You can put Miami County, Paola, Fontana, Louisburg, and Osawatomie in separate scan lists. You can also sort talkgroups and conventional frequencies by categories such as Sheriff, Police, Fire, Public Works, etc, You can name the scan lists by clicking on Global Settings and ScanLists. By naming the scan lists, the list name will be displayed on the screen when you toggle it on and off. The check marks control which scan lists will be enabled when you Upload to Scanner. The other scan lists can still be accessed using the keypad. Turn up the squelch only far enough to quiet the noise on conventional frequencies without tones. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.