San Angelo new P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

I programmed it into my scanner, but I don't expect my 396XT will hear anything. :) Actually, I'm not even sure I have it programmed correctly.
If you hold on the control channel it will show active phase I and II talkgroups. You will only be able to receive non-encrypted phase I talkgroups.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
I guess a more important question would be: do I even have the system set up right? Using Freescan, what type of system am I setting up? I'll have to snag the freqs HHS posted above. Using what's in the database, I got no hits today.

On the other hand, I'm thinking it's all a moot point since I am going to eventually loose the ability to listen to those freqs.

nd5y

In Freescan you would set the system type as P25 Standard (Digital XT) and the site type as Mot P25/P25 Standard. Then you program the frequencies for each site (if there is more than one site). Then make sure the scanner is set to ID Search. I don't know how many sites there are or if the database is correct.
You can't always count on the database being correct in places like west TX.

Last edited:

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I've tried everything I know to do. I have the 3 sites programmed as listed further up in the post. When I was able to hear everything I was holding on "site 2" (4 frequencies starting with 854.9625) I was able to get Site system ID, Site ID, WACN, and NAC. Now I'm not able to get any of it. I've tried analyzing on site 2, site 3 (8 frequencies starting with 854.9625 as well) and then a "site 4" that I added today which is just 854.9625. During the analyzer the signal bar goes all the way up then goes away and does that pretty rapidly. I've tried turning the attenuator on for site 4 but all that does is go from one bar back down to none. I also listed to 854.9625 and can hear the control channel very clearly and the signal bars stay all the way up when I do that. Every now again during the analyze function it will catch, the signal bar will stay all the way up and I will get all of the information but when I go back to scan mode, the strength bar starts going up and down again. I get absolutely nothing on site 1. I have less than 4miles from all three sites. 3.8 at the furthest (site 2). I don't understand and don't know what else todo.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE

Hello All,
Just wanted to update you all on the talk groups I have found for the new system. I am also submitting this to the database. If you are able to monitor Phase 2 systems please feel free to add to the list. I am currently monitoring the system on control channel 855.9875.

Confirmed PD talk groups:
42273- PD1
42274- PD2
42275- PD3
42276- PD4
42401- LAKER
42339- SUPRV 1
42353- COURT 1

Confirmed FD talk groups:
42529- DISPATCH
42546- TAC2
42547- TAC3
42549- TAC5
42625- SMC
42626- CMC

Confirmed Public Works talk groups:
43041- ANI CON
43090- CODE ENF
43105- AIRP MNT
43092- PER INSP
43082- STRMWTR
43057- INFOTECH

Unconfirmed talk groups:
42298- ????????
42461- ???????? (Heard same radio traffic on SAFD N & SAFD S)

Unconfirmed talk groups: Possible Patches, all head when units being dispatched on FD Dispatch & SAFD N
65144- ????????
65147– ????????
65149– ????????
65150– ????????
65152– ????????
65153– ????????
65154– ????????
65155– ????????

nd5y

It looks like for most of those P25 TGIDs the last 3 digits is the same as the decimal TGID on the EDACS system.

From what I have read TGIDs in the 65000-65535 range are dynamically assigned temporary patches. The TGID will be different each time they patch something.

Last edited:

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
It looks like for most of those P25 TGIDs the last 3 digits is the same as the decimal TGID on the EDACS system.

From what I have read TGIDs in the 65000-65535 range are dynamically assigned temporary patches. The TGID will be different each time they patch something.

Yes, I've noticed if the TGID on the EDACS was 3 digitals it is the same with 42 at the beginning (42XXX). if the TGID on the EDACS was in the 1000's then it moves into 43 (43XXX). Not sure about Radio ID's though. I know both systems are patched together so I don't know if that has any bearing on Radio ID's.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Just for everyone's information, All of the PD Talkgroups including PD1(Dispatch) has gone encrypted.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
All of the PD Talkgroups including PD1(Dispatch) has gone encrypted.

I'm not affected since I can't monitor Phase II, but I don't like that they've gone encrypted. I am curious what their rationale is. Heck, even DPS isn't encrypted here. I get that many of the talk groups should be encrypted, but not dispatch. I wonder if they've had a problem with whackers or gawkers showing up as incidents.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Curious...now that they've gone encrypted have the encrypted the EDACS system? Or have they moved off of it for good? Seems like it's been quiet today.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Hick Town

It seems as though San Angelo LE have always been weird. Why would a small little hick town want to encrypt?

In the event I am ever asked to cooperate with an encrypted LE agency, I will simply state, I don't know or I did not see it.

I promise, I will never ever set foot in San Angelo or frequent any of the businesses in that city. This has to be one of the stupidest things I've read in quite some time.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Why would a small little hick town want to encrypt?

I'd hardly call a city of 100,000 people a "hick" town (heck, Waco only has 34,000 more people). My hometown has 1,500! It's a "hick" town.

I promise, I will never ever set foot in San Angelo or frequent any of the businesses in that city.

Then don't. Keep your promise. You obviously have some kind of issue with San Angelo. But no one is asking you to pay a lick of attention to San Angelo. If it bugs you so much, just ignore it. It obviously has no effect on your life, but you still spend time bashing it.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I'm not affected since I can't monitor Phase II, but I don't like that they've gone encrypted. I am curious what their rationale is. Heck, even DPS isn't encrypted here. I get that many of the talk groups should be encrypted, but not dispatch. I wonder if they've had a problem with whackers or gawkers showing up as incidents.

I'm not a fan of the encryption either. I'm sure their rational is "Officer Safety". Which I get to a point... I just don't agree with Dispatch being encrypted. Unfortunately it's an argument citizens wont win.

Curious...now that they've gone encrypted have the encrypted the EDACS system? Or have they moved off of it for good? Seems like it's been quiet today.

As far as I can tell on the encryption, it just affected the PD side of thing, not the FD... Yet. The EDACS system seems to be off line completely. Patches were taken offline a few weeks ago and now radios are showing "CC SCAN" then moving to "WA SCAN" for both sites.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
SA Sadness

I am deeply disgusted when I hear of an agency using secrecy. SA is no exception. I feel for those who have to live there and not be able to enjoy their hobby.

Since I am from the area, I know how "hard" LE can be in that county. SA has been a speed trap for quite some time.

I remember driving into SA during the early nineties or late eighties. I distinctly remember getting on the CB and announcing to others that a DPS unit was headed north on 87. Almost immediately afterward, I heard this unit asking for my license plate number. I told him what I thought of him and moved on down the road.

Many across west Texas have moved to secrecy.

After many protests, I know of two places that reversed secrecy and allowed dispatch to be in the clear, Houston, Texas and Sikeston, Missouri.

Put pressure on those that are in power and organize a group to assist law enforcement. I know that they used to have an active REACT unit there a long time ago.

I feel for your guys. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

nd5y

The EDACS system seems to be off line completely. Patches were taken offline a few weeks ago and now radios are showing "CC SCAN" then moving to "WA SCAN" for both sites.

The thing to do here is manually listen to ALL of the EDACS systems frequencies in conventional mode an make sure there is no control channel anywhere. If you hear nothing or they reused all the frequencies for the P25 system then make a database submission to mark the entire EDACS system as deprecated.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Similar To Bell County

The thing to do here is manually listen to ALL of the EDACS systems frequencies in conventional mode an make sure there is no control channel anywhere. If you hear nothing or they reused all the frequencies for the P25 system then make a database submission to mark the entire EDACS system as deprecated.

I guess SA is dealing with the same issues I am regarding the new Bell P25 system. Here, I loaded all of the system frequencies into my PSR 500 and then went to analyze to find an active control channel. However, here, both systems are actively engaged with the same frequencies. Hence, I am hearing EDACS and P25, same frequencies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber

I just went through all the frequencies and no control channel heard. It has been submitted.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
I had an opportunity to speak with an SAPD supervisor about this system yesterday. He said they have completely moved over to the new system. I asked about encryption and he said the primary reason was officer safety (no surprise) due to people being able to monitor them via streaming apps. He actually made some good points during the discussion, but then, I'm not the person they are worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.