San Bernardino Co System 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkut

Premium Subscriber
Is it a splinter system? ... getting conflicting info here and elsewhere ...
Thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It has one frequency in it's channel lineup that is a splinter, so I believe you have to program it as a splinter frequency system.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Since I am not a public-safety radio industry professional, I won't speculate about which official terminology the public-safety radio industry would use to describe System 9. But I can comment on programming a scanner to track System 9, which I assume is the purpose of your question.

System 9 has channel 20 as 851.50000 MHz, a splinter frequency. If you do not program the system as splinter in your scanner, the scanner will interpret channel 20 as 851.51250 MHz, it will tune to 851.51250 when you want it to tune to 851.50000, and you will miss any traffic that gets assigned to channel 20.

In short, program System 9 as "splinter" in your scanner to ensure you don't miss transmissions on 851.50000.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
no San Bernardino County System 09 is not a splinter system, it is a Motorola 800 MHz standard type II.

The term "splinter", in this context, refers to the frequency channel steps used, not the type of trunking protocols used. A splinter channel is referring to the step spacing of a particular channel. A 28 channel trunking system can have 27 non-splinter frequencies, and one splinter frequency, and it would require programming that system as a splinter system.

In the case of SB County, System 9 actually has three splinter frequencies. I just checked some more recent documentation than what I referred to in my previous post.

Last edited:

John47

System 9

For the past 11 yrs or so, I have heard system 9, when I program this system it is on NORMAL. There is only 3 channels that end with .0, there are 19 channels that end with .5. The only system that I listen too is System 10, and every channel ends with.0 when I set this as NORMAL I get a lot of feed back, till I to set it as SPLINTER. after that it works great

However, with reading the above entrys I did try and set System 9 as a SPLINTER group and yes it did work. As of now it is set to NORMAL and I get both sets of transmission send\rec.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
For the past 11 yrs or so, I have heard system 9, when I program this system it is on NORMAL. There is only 3 channels that end with .0, there are 19 channels that end with .5. The only system that I listen too is System 10, and every channel ends with.0 when I set this as NORMAL I get a lot of feed back, till I to set it as SPLINTER. after that it works great

However, with reading the above entrys I did try and set System 9 as a SPLINTER group and yes it did work. As of now it is set to NORMAL and I get both sets of transmission send\rec.

If you set to normal, you'll miss traffic on the three splinter frequencies. On a busy system, you'd almost not notice that. When a system is set for 'splinter', the channel number assignments for a Motorola type II system reuse channel numbers for a different set of frequencies. NPSPAC frequencies are unaffected, but there are some frequencies that would be unusable on a system tagged as 'splinter'.

System 10 consists entirely of splinter frequencies.

John47

When they set these up, it should be set up as a SPLINTER or NORMAL do not mix, confusing to say the least.

I will set my 197 as SPLINTER and 1 of my 106's as NORMAL to see if who gets more.

JoeyC

I will set my 197 as SPLINTER and 1 of my 106's as NORMAL to see if who gets more.

As you have been told, you will get ALL intended traffic when setting up as SPLINTER. Setting up as NORMAL and you will not hear whatever comes over the 3 SPLINTER frequencies in the system. There really is no need for that test.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
When they set these up, it should be set up as a SPLINTER or NORMAL do not mix, confusing to say the least.

In Southern California, when frequencies are needed to build a system, you take what you can get. Sometimes this means mixing splinter and non-splinter frequencies. Zero consideration is given as to whether or not it's confusing for scanner listeners.

n7jei

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I understand that the splinter frequencies are used in areas near the border with Mexico due to an international agreement on minimizing potential interference between US and Mex systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.