San Bernardino County IS Going Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

Thanks for the support. Streaming has nothing to do with the discussion. You may choose to participate within the guidelines of the forum or be difficult. Should you choose the later typing nothing would be preferable to sarcasm.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Bob, you asked in your original post for compelling reasons for and against encryption. An honest answer to that involves discussing streaming. It's ok with me if you don't want to go there and I won't contribute to your thread any further. However, it's kind of like wanting to discuss the weather but not wanting to hear about the jet stream. No sarcasm intended.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The future is IP PTT solutions over LTE...good luck trying to receive something like that, might as well be Tetra Phase Deux!

Paul

allend

Premium Subscriber
The future is IP PTT solutions over LTE...good luck trying to receive something like that, might as well be Tetra Phase Deux!

Paul

I believe I was hearing that is what Orange County is wrestling with right now. I think they are wanting to use IP PTT over LTE in the future within the next couple of years with their upgrade. You know they want to stay on the cutting edge of technology and I believe this is the reason why they are waiting so long and have not rebanded yet. I also believe their LTE infrastructure is already up and running.

Maybe some of the talkgroups will have the ability to use IP PTT over a secure link via the internet but this technology with public safety is pretty new.

CommLt

Feed Provider
OCFA also has the PROS Plan (Pendleton, Riverside, Orange, San Diego).

They didn't really build out a VHF "system" as much as just add a single VHF frequency (Fire OC) to a voted system to eliminate getting permission to use OC Access on a per use basis.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
P25 - The Future

When you have many "small" agencies working adjacent to each other, but on separate radio systems; one reason to remain in the open is so that other agencies can hear you directly (otherwise you have to wait for info to come from your dispatch). If no one can hear each other you need patches and relays to hear each other which is not good in true emergencies.

But the trend is to build "regional systems" so that everyone is on the same system. If everyone is encrypted, it is no longer a problem for those who need to communicate.

With everything being digital, you can now send voice as "data" through various means of connectivity (including the Internet) and thus you can further connect regional systems together. I see this as the trend so that some day anyone anywhere can communicate via their own radios privately.

allend

Premium Subscriber
You are exactly right. Alot of the small agencies in Riverside County were on their own system and then they joined the Riverside County PSEC system which is fully encrypted. Now there is no patches or relays. They are all one "regional system". All radios can communicate via the whole county now and can talk privately now. Problem fixed. And the general public is locked out now too.

Just like cell phones. If you want secure email you use a secure email servers off shore. If you want private communications you use an application like PTT now. Or you use "Silent Circle". Alot of government agencies are using "Silent Circle" when they doing covert operations in different countries so they are not using cell towers to be tracked.

allend

Premium Subscriber
All law enforcement in SBCO moving over to the P25 network will be fully encrypted at all times.

You will still be-able to listen to them on the old analog 800 mhz system until they retire the system.

jasedude71

I worked a rescue this weekend of three people out 4x4ing in a blizzard. Spent a lot of time with Comm guys and they confirm that San Berdu IS switching to encrypted. I personally see switching Fire to encrypted as a very bad idea but whatcha gonna do? Monitoring for me will be severely minimized. Currently they are having difficulties and Sheriff is not able to talk with Fire on common countywide channels. This hindered our rescue but we made it work. I've done a fair amount of research and many agencies are3 turning off encryption. But why would DHS encourage it for "routine" communications that the public has a right to know about in real-time? As is the policy of this site no bashing allowed. I am asking for a dialogue - communication. What are the compelling reasons for and against encryption? Streaming has nothing to do with this.

Sheriff and Fire can talk to each other. The new programming on the 800mhz radios has more than 50 zones all which cover Sheriff, EMS and FIRE. The problem is, the end user of the radio is ignorant to the capabilities of what they are holding in their hand. Its amazing the vast improvement in technology which has occured in the last 25 years in San Bernardino County. I remember when Sheriff and Fire were working on 155mhz and when 800mhz came out it was amazing. Now this new P25 system is more amazing as you can travel through many different sites and never have to change your radio channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.