San Bernardino County P25 and rebanded systems

tkenny53

While I'm sky high in Wrightwood, I like to listen to the FD up here.
RR states they dispatch on North Desert/River, Then I can grab the matching tach and command channels.
My issue is which sites to use for the CC. some work and some dont.
I also see freq's like 852.86250 from the old conventional coming up in several of the sites. So I am wondering if I should scan just those?
Scanning all the sites takes a long time, so I want to minimize the scans.
Wrightwood station comes from a different group of stations so it is always the step child of sorts.
Any help would be grateful

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
While I'm sky high in Wrightwood, I like to listen to the FD up here.
RR states they dispatch on North Desert/River, Then I can grab the matching tach and command channels.
My issue is which sites to use for the CC. some work and some dont.
I also see freq's like 852.86250 from the old conventional coming up in several of the sites. So I am wondering if I should scan just those?
Scanning all the sites takes a long time, so I want to minimize the scans.
Wrightwood station comes from a different group of stations so it is always the step child of sorts.
Any help would be grateful

So I believe the fill in conventional channels have been retired. So what I would do is scan the whole 700 and 800 mhz public safety band and see what control channels you can pickup for SBDCO. If you can pickup more than 1 control channel then you might be-able to pickup a couple of SBDCO sites which carries most of the high desert fire tacticals and both fire dispatch for the Valley and Desert.

Most likely you will be-able to pickup the High Desert Simulcast and The Government Peak Sites. Also, you will be surprised that you might be-able to pickup the Mountain Simulcast site. If you can pickup this site with a good signal then just stay on this site. The Mountain Simulcast Sites carries all of the fire talkgroups.

techman210

The conventional/analog repeaters are still active in the Wrightwood area- for now.

I’m listening to sheriff in the clear on Law-B at my place in Phelan.

it won’t last much longer. From what I’ve been able to establish, the ITAC/8-Tac repeaters are gone, and there won’t be any conventional radio sites left.

Which was the plan all along of course.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
So I noticed on the majority of TRS sites out in the desert area don't carry both 2-Dispatch-1 and 3-Dispatch-2.

So the Onyx repeater only carries 2-Dispatch-1
The Paxton Site carries on 3-Dispatch-2

Apparently I thought that all of the sites carry both Fire Dispatch talkgroups but it does not look so.

pcorrin

Premium Subscriber
So I noticed on the majority of TRS sites out in the desert area don't carry both 2-Dispatch-1 and 3-Dispatch-2.

Apparently I thought that all of the sites carry both Fire Dispatch talkgroups but it does not look so.

It's never been that way on the system. if a radio is not affiliated with a site with that talkgroup it doesnt pipe over the traffic

f40ph

Feed Provider

County Fire asked County Radio to do this (only for the dispatch channels). Co radio said they would. Apparently they haven't figured it out yet.

Eng74

The only site I get in Ridgecrest is El Paso. Most of the time all I am getting is 3549 Fire Dispatch Patc talk group. Then for a week or so I will get everything going on down the hill. I listen to the entire Amazon commercial building fire.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
As of this morning I am hearing 2-Dispatch-1 and 3-Dispatch-2 on the Onyx Peak Site. Go figure. Maybe the radio GOD's were listening.

Wonder if anybody else that monitors other site can confirm the same thing or this might be a fluke.

pcorrin

Premium Subscriber
As of this morning I am hearing 2-Dispatch-1 and 3-Dispatch-2 on the Onyx Peak Site. Go figure. Maybe the radio GOD's were listening.

Wonder if anybody else that monitors other site can confirm the same thing or this might be a fluke.

It really just has to do with whether or not radios are affiliated with that site, as radios and vehicles travel around they hit different sites, it's supposed to be based on nearest site with best rssi, doesn't always work that way, but if it's within CC listening and chooses to attempt to affiliate with that site so be it. Of all the sites, both single sites and simulcast multisite, the "mountain" site is a set in programming to be the least chosen because it overlooks so many areas on both sides, radios still may affiliate there for example if they are in South Ontario.

Either way enjoy it when you get it, and not when you don't.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I think this is a dispatcher patching after a certain time in the evening time. Its usually just 2-Dispatch-1 during the day and at night I am getting both dispatch talkgroups 3-Dispatch-2 on the Onyx Repeater.

pcorrin

Premium Subscriber
I think this is a dispatcher patching after a certain time in the evening time. Its usually just 2-Dispatch-1 during the day and at night I am getting both dispatch talkgroups 3-Dispatch-2 on the Onyx Repeater.
Would be more likely a radio traveling into affiliate range after shift or similar, BC at home or something similar

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Nope. Never have worked for SBDCO radio communication. I work doing other comms for the government.

But it does make sense and I understand the whole affiliation thing but its strange that this is a nightly thing which technically something on the back-end infrastructure and something to do with dispatching maybe since they have less dispatchers on the consoles in the later part of the evening. I do wonder if this is happening on other sites farther out in the desert areas. Not sure many people are listening out in the sticks of the desert unless they are passing thru driving. As stated before it sounded like both dispatch talkgroups were suppose to transmit on all of the sites within the county at all times.

I know the Mountain Simulcast - West Valley - and the West Central Valley sites carry both dispatch talkgroups all the time that I know for sure.

The Onyx site covers the whole back part of Big Bear and the high desert and stretches into the Palm Springs and Palm Desert Indio area with a good Unication G5 radio since those radios are so sensitive. I can see why 2-Dispatch-1 is the primary for that site since the majority of fire stations and mobile and portable radios affiliate all the time to that site. This site covers vast amount of land since this site is high up in the mountains for good excellent coverage.

I do know for sure that the site at Cal State San Bernardino in Palm Desert carries nothing which makes sense for sure. No radios affiliate that site at all for the fire side. I believe that site is for LE or PD for college onsite when school was in full force. That site when I am around that town is like crickets at all times.

pcorrin

Premium Subscriber
Nope. Never have worked for SBDCO radio communication. I work doing other comms for the government.

But it does make sense and I understand the whole affiliation thing but its strange that this is a nightly thing which technically something on the back-end infrastructure and something to do with dispatching maybe since they have less dispatchers on the consoles in the later part of the evening. I do wonder if this is happening on other sites farther out in the desert areas. Not sure many people are listening out in the sticks of the desert unless they are passing thru driving. As stated before it sounded like both dispatch talkgroups were suppose to transmit on all of the sites within the county at all times.

I know the Mountain Simulcast - West Valley - and the West Central Valley sites carry both dispatch talkgroups all the time that I know for sure.

The Onyx site covers the whole back part of Big Bear and the high desert and stretches into the Palm Springs and Palm Desert Indio area with a good Unication G5 radio since those radios are so sensitive. I can see why 2-Dispatch-1 is the primary for that site since the majority of fire stations and mobile and portable radios affiliate all the time to that site. This site covers vast amount of land since this site is high up in the mountains for good excellent coverage.

I do know for sure that the site at Cal State San Bernardino in Palm Desert carries nothing which makes sense for sure. No radios affiliate that site at all for the fire side. I believe that site is for LE or PD for college onsite when school was in full force. That site when I am around that town is like crickets at all times.

Well I worked there last year, for ISD, specifically on radios, had my hands and eyes on codeplugs etc. A lot of what your assuming based on your findings, is not accurate. No argument to be had, private message me if your interested in information.

f40ph

Feed Provider

I guarantee this site carries 3Cmd9 Fire traffic whenever the ambulances transport from Yucca Valley to the Trauma center in Palm Springs.