San Bernardino County RED Channel ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff2233

Does anyone have the freq for this new SB County "red" channel ?

SHARING RADIOS

10:00 PM PDT on Saturday, August 19, 2006
by: CASSIE MACDUFF

More than 300 firefighters died in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, in part because their radios couldn't pick up police channels that could have warned them the World Trade Center towers were about to fall.
The inability of the departments to communicate was one of first shortcomings identified in the post-9/11 analysis.
Yet when the 9/11 Commission issued its final report in December 2005, it gave the nation an F for efforts to fix the problem. It blasted some agencies for spending Homeland Security money on armored vests for police dogs and air conditioning for garbage trucks instead.
Fortunately, police agencies in San Bernardino County are more forward-thinking. They pooled their federal funding to build a radio system connecting the Sheriff's Department, Highway Patrol and every police agency in the valley.
The price tag is more than $4 million. And it took five years of planning and applying for the funds. But the radio equipment installation should be complete within the next few months, said Frank Scialdone, who was Fontana's police chief during the planning.
Sheriff Gary Penrod credits the San Bernardino County Police Chiefs and Sheriff Association, which meets monthly, for the cooperation that got the agencies to see beyond their jurisdictional boundaries to the big picture.
Sheriff's Capt. Paul Cappitelli was given the task of creating communications "interoperability" (the buzzword for "being able to talk to each other"), because he knew about Orange County's Red Channel, where agencies have been able to broadcast critical alerts to each other for 30 years.
The chiefs and sheriff group first discussed a Red Channel in 2000, Cappitelli said, but there was no money to build it.
After 9/11, Homeland Security funding was allocated to police, fire and public-health agencies throughout the U.S. But few are willing to share their grants.
It took some persuading to get the local police chiefs to pool their funds. The man who did it, Scialdone said, was Redlands Chief Jim Bueermann.
Police agencies used to be able to communicate with each other -- until most converted their radio systems to 800 MHz, Bueermann said.
Today they can listen to each other's frequencies, but can't broadcast to each other. All communication must go through dispatch centers, wasting precious time -- sometimes as much as 20 minutes, Bueermann said. By then, suspects can be long gone, and people needlessly endangered.
With the old system, for example, an officer might stop a car for speeding and not know the suspects are fleeing a crime that happened moments earlier, putting his or her life in danger, Bueermann said.
With the new system, the moment an officer has a description of a suspect's car, he or she can broadcast it to every other patrol car in the region.
Re-creating the ability to talk back and forth required building a "backbone" system and installing separate radios in each agency's vehicles in addition to their agencies' radios.
It took the local agencies three years to save up the $3.6 million in Homeland Security funds to cover most of the cost.
It's an impressive display of agencies working together for the greater good.

dropkick

868.8625 is new the San Bernardino County RED channel. This is confirmed and the repeater is on the air. I've yet to hear anything but a couple of key ups.

brandon

Database Admin
Where is the repeater located and can we here it in Riverside County?

Odd, they would go to the trouble of setting this up for a frequency that (when and if...) will be rebanded. I have had this in my scanner for quite a while as a frequency I suspected would be the RED, but as yet have heard nothing (in Lake Arrowhead).

RobertW1

San Bernardino County Fire has the old "RED" channel. It was used as a "County Tac channel": 154.3250. Will this be replaced by The trunking frequency? What about the other "Color" frequency Tac channels, such as Brown, Gray, Green, Orange and Yellow?

Last edited:

2wayfreq

Is this thier "Officer needs help" channel? I know RSO has a "Code Red" Hot button on thier HTs.

jeff2233

2wayfreq said:
Is this thier "Officer needs help" channel? I know RSO has a "Code Red" Hot button on thier HTs.
No..its a separate freq for communications between agencies. It has nothing to do with the red Emergency button on the officers HT.

jeff2233

RobertW1 said:
San Bernardino County Fire has the old "RED" channel. It was used as a "County Tac channel": 154.3250. Will this be replaced by The trunking frequency? What about the other "Color" frequency Tac channels, such as Brown, Gray, Green, Orange and Yellow?
The RED channel we are talking about has nothing to do with the FD freqs. The "RED" you are talking about is oneof the mutual aid fire freqs.

dropkick

Correct, this is *different* than Fire RED, which will remain unchanged.

This is a mutual aid channel, primarily for law enforcement. So far it only covers the "valley." Not sure where the repeater is. Maybe Jurupa?

DCS131 is the tone, but its not on the output so don't bother :)

dropkick

An update... I've been told Redlands police are putting "RED" radios on the above freq in their new cars and some old ones. No new channels in their dispatch center however. Guess its "for the future." I've had this freq in my mobile radio now and have heard nothing but key ups and loose repeater squelch. Absolutely no voice traffic yet. :(

brandon

Database Admin
Any update on this? Is SB County still planning to deploy the RED channel? Thanks in advance.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
dropkick said:
I've had this freq in my mobile radio now and have heard nothing but key ups and loose repeater squelch. Absolutely no voice traffic yet.
Same here for the past month. There's been a particularly high amount this morning. Apparently it's not in use yet.
FCC license listing is WQBK320 for anyone interseted.

socalmike

RED channel is used infrequently

Hi,

I have also heard the ker-chunking of the repeater but also caught some traffic last year. Id say maybe in the last 7 months this one time only I heard what sounded like a multi-agency search or raid. Sounded like coordination of units and deputies. Not sure who it was but was definately on the RED channel.

crackscan31

I have heard "testing, testing, 1,2,3," and people key up accidentally. I have yet to hear anyone use it for its intended purpose.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
This past week I've heard testing in analog and P25 digital. It's the first thing I've heard in a long time.

Funny thing is, I thought they weren't licensed for digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.