San Bernardino County Supervisors Discuss P25 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Anyone who is interested in San Bernardino County's plans for its P25 upgrade will want to take a look at this
link.

At the December 17 board meeting the supervisors will discuss whether to approve a contract amendment with Motorola to design and install a countywide P25 trunked system.

avdrummerboy

So, 95 large is what they are trying to get it all for when the estimates are 200 something mil??? Good luck guys! I honestly don't see this happening for quite some time. To note though, looks like a good chance of some encryption, saw DES boards ordered in the same qty as radios!

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh you can count on it. Its the standard these days to order the radios with the DES-OFB boards. You will either see full Encryption or they will leave their dispatch talkgroups open. Having Encryption is cheap now.

If you look at the new SB County 700mhz system most of the tacticals and SWAT are ENC, so there will hopefully be a mixture of Clear and ENC talkgroups. But until things are built out nobody will know.

avdrummerboy

Yeah, I wasn't surprised at all haha, just disappointing. Though as I said, it'll be some time before they ever find the dough for it and even longer to implement it.

f40ph

Feed Provider
It's already on the air - Fontana PD, Ontario PD, and SBSD SWAT are using it regularly. Not sure what you mean by "it'll be some time before they ... implement it".

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Though as I said, it'll be some time before they ever find the dough for it and even longer to implement it.

There are at least a half dozen sites built and on the air now, some of them carrying real live traffic.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Dont forget the reporters that corrected the S.B. Sheriff regarding the angels oaks shooting of that scum bag cop killer... Another reason they want encryption.

That's only half the story.

Sure, it's an embarrassment that those sorts of comments got out to the press, but at the time, there was also a very real fear that the scum bag cop killer... er, Dorner, was listening on a scanner or live feed. That wasn't a WAG, some of his behaviors led the SO to believe they were being monitored by him.

pepsima1

Banned
Well correct me if I am wrong but I don't think any solid reports have confirmed that he had a trunking capable scanner radio found at any of the locations where he was hiding out for a few days up in The City of Big Bear. Since he worked for LAPD in the past I believe he would of known how to monitor LAPD's conventional P25 system.

I really don't think when he was on the run that he even thought or had a chance to have a trunking tracking scanner radio programmed to any of The San Bernardino Systems since there are like 10 different systems. You would of had to do some serious planning and years of studying systems and in my honest opinion he was not carrying an GRE PSR 800 radio with a full database at his finger tips to change to different systems on the fly.

He was too worried about being caught than thinking about going to a Radio Shack to pickup one of those radios and programming it when he was up in Big Bear. Your brain would of been so stressed out when there is a full statewide man-hunt for you.

Encryption will be implemented in some capacity but how much is un-determined right now.

Donner scum bag was not a technical scanner programmer by no means. Most COPS just know how to turn on their radios and talk and that's it. They don't care about nothing else.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Well correct me if I am wrong but I don't think any solid reports have confirmed that he had a trunking capable scanner radio found at any of the locations where he was hiding out for a few days up in The City of Big Bear. Since he worked for LAPD in the past I believe he would of known how to monitor LAPD's conventional P25 system.

I don't believe you're wrong, but remember, at the time the event was occurring, it was a VERY REAL fear that he was monitoring.

That fear along will be enough to drive agencies toward encryption as the technology becomes available to them. If you can make a potential headache go away, call it a preemptive strike. The perception is out there that SOME criminals use scanners or streaming audio feeds. The solution is to make it impossible for ALL criminals to listen.

Like it or not, that's the mindset that's developing out there in the LE community.

pepsima1

Banned
I don't believe you're wrong, but remember, at the time the event was occurring, it was a VERY REAL fear that he was monitoring.

That fear along will be enough to drive agencies toward encryption as the technology becomes available to them. If you can make a potential headache go away, call it a preemptive strike. The perception is out there that SOME criminals use scanners or streaming audio feeds. The solution is to make it impossible for ALL criminals to listen.

Like it or not, that's the mindset that's developing out there in the LE community.

Trust me I am not trying to turn this thread into a debate but look at San Diego City, San Diego County, and especially LAPD which uses APCO P25 and most of these agencies that surround areas of California are not using encryption.

Look at the LAPD they have had the technology to Encrypt for along time with their P25 digital system and they have chosen not to. Chief Charlie Beck has made it clear that he wants to keep their department transparent despite what other agencies are doing. With the threats that happens each day within The City of Los Angeles you would think they would of Encrypted when Orange County did over 13 years ago. Plus the Chief of Los Angeles is going to keep their communications system separate from LA RICS when they go live within the next few years.

When Orange County switched over to their 800mhz system and went fully Encrypted look who the Orange County Sherriff was " Mike Corona". He had a federal grand jury indicted him and his mistress on corruption charges. He is spending his lonely time in a federal correction facility right now in Colorado for almost 6 years right now. So when you have full encryption and your counties ex sheriff of Orange County spending the next 6 years in a federal correction facility then this does not look good.

Merry Christmas

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber

Remember that one does not need a scanner to monitor a feed on one's smartphone.

spectr17

Remember that one does not need a scanner to monitor a feed on one's smartphone.

Zactly, this fact seems lost to a few members here, some of who gave me grief over pulling my SB sheriff channel feed down when the cops started broadcasting sensitive info in the clear when tracking Dorner in Big Bear.

If you read the recent LA Times 5 part series on Dorner's manhunt, there was a computer and Internet in the condo he holed up in at Big Bear. I would think any cop would know about Broadcasify, I know many cops friends who do. Why wouldn't you listen in while in the cabin if you could, to see what the cops are up to?

Even if you don't broadcast locations of trackers which happened in the Dorner manhunt in Big Bear, just normal traffic can be pieced together for the big picture. Especially someone with military and cop training.

spectr17

A couple questions on the ENC Moto system, been awhile since I turned pots on ENC radios. In the olden days encryption effected the audio and range of the radios, is that still so? The receive audio level was cut by almost half many times. Reagan was famous for being hard of hearing and drove Secret Service nuts when he would turn ENC off so he could talk. The TX range loss wasn't real bad but enough to notice it. This was the old DES Moto brick handhelds for you old timers.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
With P25, there is no loss or degradation of signal. It's simply a matter of rearranging the 1's and 0's.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

spectr17

With P25, there is no loss or degradation of signal. It's simply a matter of rearranging the 1's and 0's.

Thanks Mark. The audio is a little different sounding from what I've heard listening to the 700mhz conversations. Mostly EOC and radio techs doing tests. It sounds kind of like synthetic speech to me.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about encrypted audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.