San Bernardino systems 8 & 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

Not sure how "you're misinformed" is blatant disrespect but... sure... he can take it however he wants to. Free country and all...

I'm replying not to Krazy but because he's spreading bad information to the other good people on this forum. This message is for them because they deserve it...

I monitored the call in progress including images from a security camera on site. In fact, just to prove AGAIN more misinformation, the "first" FFs at the site were NOT county FFs as was said, it was Big Bear FD. You don't have to trust my words, I'm not offended, pull up the broadcastify feed and listen to the audio. Big Bear FD (those are the engines in the two-eighty series) got their engine stuck part-way up the road and had to WALK the rest of the way (only to give a report on conditions). Not that it matters much but I also spoke directly with the BC DURING the incident. By coincidence, I also spoke this past week with a manager at County radio who told me it was the main generator building only and NO equipment was lost. If losing new radio equipment were true, it would/will be public record when they go to the county board of supervisors and put in a claim for replacement digital repeaters. Yes the FFs "said" it was the "main" building over the radio. Those initial FFs had NEVER been up there before to know one building from another. I don't think they actually know what the "main" building is and who could blame them for that? Their radio report did NOT say anything like "specifically identified as housing the new County radio system equipment." How would they even know this?

At any rate, read my posts closely I'm here not to disrespect but to inform.
Indicating that the Big Bear units who are dispatched by San Bernardino County Fire Department were not actually county units was not important. They were the first ones on scene. Whose engine belongs to whom is not relevant to the accuracy of the information I provided. Without realizing that socalmountains, who I am unrelated to, and who gets their information directly from SEMS as well as monitors, they posted a play-by-play that as it turns out the play-by-play I gave was identical to theirs. Oh, they're just "social media" and you happened to be on scene on 1N01 and have spoken directly to the battalion chief on scene. What was his name? Engine 283 got stuck in the snow and had to be pulled out by County Roads. Since you were there perhaps you could tell us type of vehicle that used to tow the engine out.

I see no purpose bringing up an issue from December again in February. "Correcting misinformation." Riiigght... no misinformation was put out. Whether you realize it or not these units respond to Onyx Summit with a greater frequency than you realize. You're just looking to jam another stick in my eye. Go ahead and go to the archives and listen to the playback. There isn't one there because there isn't a System 8 feed. You just hate the fact that the information I put out was exactly the same as another third-party source. You want me to have such piss-poor credibility that you shine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

krazybob

In a post TWO DAYS AGO unrelated to Onyx Summit directly I wrote, "I can't say whether or not the Onyx Summit repeater is on the air yet since a fire recently destroyed the main building and a second outbuilding. Once firefighters got on-scene they reported that both structures were..." I guess your facts are off.

krazybob

You win once again. Complete disrespect. You follow me from thread to thread and if I say it's black you're going to say it's white. I guess it makes you feel powerful.

MAP DATA IS DEPENDENT ON AUTOMATED DISPATCH INFORMATION AND IS NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE
NOTE: MAP PLOTTED ABOVE WAS DONE USING GPS COORDINATES

MON DEC 24, 2018, 12:41 PM
VEGETATION FIRE
MM38 STATE 38, BARTON FLATS
MM38 HIGHWAY 38 MILE MARKER 38-HIGHWAY 38 - CROSS STREETS: [1] LAT:34.0 LON:-116.748501 [2] SAW SMOKE - AT THE TOP OF ONY ML14
UNITS RESPONDING: ME283 ME282 ME96 FEDCOM CALCOM BC3602 GH-C1 GH-C2 CREWS USFS 1ST ALARM (SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY FIRE )
ADDITIONAL AGENCIES: US FOREST SERVICE CALFIRE
INCIDENT NAME: OYNX
NOTES: E282 IS ON SCENE OF A 20 X 20 FOOT RADIO BUILDING - BURNT TO THE GROUND - EXPOSURE TO A LARGE LP GAS TANK - NO THREAT TO THE VEGETATION - HAVING VERY TOUGH TIME MAKING ACCESS
DISPOSITION: 2:30PM - MORE UNITS HAVE MADE IT TO THE SCENE - TOTAL LOSS OF STRUCTURE
LINK TO LIVE CAM: CLICK HERE

INCIDENT UPDATES BELOW:
MON DEC 24 2:43 PM
ADDITIONAL UNITS HAVE MADE IT TO THE SCENE. TOTAL LOSS OF 20 BY 20 FOOT STRUCTURE HOUSING NEW COUNTY RADIO EQUIPMENT AS WELL AS RELATED HARDWARE SUCH AS BATTERIES. WILL INDICATE THIS AS A HAZ-MAT SITUATION ON THE NOTES AND WILL NOTIFY FOREST SERVICE OF HAZMAT DUE TO BATTERIES. NOTE THAT THE EQUIPMENT LOST IN THIS FIRE WAS NEW COUNTY RADIO EQUIPMENT. NOT SURE AT THIS TIME EXACTLY WHAT FREQUENCIES OR SERVICES MAY BE IMPACTED BY THE LOSS OF THIS STRUCTURE. LP GAS EXPOSURE HAS BEEN MITIGATED. A FIRE INVESTIGATOR HAS BEEN REQUESTED AND IS RESPONDING FROM THE APPLE VALLEY AREA.
SOURCE: SCANNER REPORTER:SCMALERT

MON DEC 24 1:38 PM
BIG BEAR E282 HAS MADE IT TO FIRE - WELL INVOLVED OUTBUILDING AT RADIO SITE - 1 EXPOSURE (LP GAS) - NO THREAT TO VEGETATION - ADDITIONAL UNITS WILL CONTINUE TO ATTEMPT TO MAKE ACCESS - E282 SAYING THAT A SMALLER UNIT WILL BE NEEDED TO GET UP THERE. E283 IS STUCK IN THE SNOW - WORKING ON GETTING HIM OUT. SOUNDS LIKE THE FIRE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. COUNTY ROADS HEAVY EQUIPMENT REQUESTED.

MON DEC 24 1:32 PM
ONYX PEAK ACCESS ROAD IS CURRENTLY BLOCKED BY A TYPE 1 ENGINE THAT IS STUCK. PER BLM THE FIRE THREAT IS DE-ESCALATING AND THE FIRE HAS NOT SPREAD.
MON DEC 24 1:29 PM
FIRE UNITS HAVING ACCESS TROUBLES GETTING TO THE RADIO APPARATUS ON ONYX SUMMIT. ONE CALFIRE UNIT IS STUCK. REQUESTING COUNTY ROADS RESOURCES TO RESPOND.
MON DEC 24 1:13 PM
INCOMING UNITS WILL STAGE AT HWY 38 AND 1N01 TO ASSESS WHO CAN MAKE ACCESS TO THE RADIO BUILDING. 4WD IS REQUIRED TO GET TO THIS BUILDING.
MON DEC 24 1:05 PM
PER COMMCENTER - BLM SAYING THAT ALTHOUGH THE RADIO BUILDING APPEARS WELL INVOLVED WITH FIRE THERE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE ANY VEGETATION INVOLVED AT THIS TIME (BY LOOKING AT WEBCAM)
MON DEC 24 12:56 PM
PER COMMCENTER- BLM HAS A WEBCAM ON THIS FIRE - IT IS A FULLY INVOLVED COUNTY RADIO BUILDING - ADDING ADDITIONAL WATER TENDERS TO RESPONSE

MON DEC 24 12:51 PM
COMMCENTER IS STARTING A FULL VEGETATION FIRE RESPONSE TO THIS INCIDENT ON ONYX SUMMIT

MON DEC 24 12:46 PM
ME283 ENROUTE TO ONYX SUMMIT - CONFIRMED COLUMN OF SMOKE TOP OF ONYX SUMMIT - CONTINUE FULL RESPONSE AND FOREST SERVICE

allend

Premium Subscriber
In a post TWO DAYS AGO unrelated to Onyx Summit directly I wrote, "I can't say whether or not the Onyx Summit repeater is on the air yet since a fire recently destroyed the main building and a second outbuilding. Once firefighters got on-scene they reported that both structures were..." I guess your facts are off.

The Oynx Repeater is up and running. I reported over the weekend on The SBDCO rebanded thread that there are fire and public works talkgroups that were active.

krazybob

The Oynx Repeater is up and running. I reported over the weekend on The SBDCO rebanded thread that there are fire and public works talkgroups that were active.
Thank you allend. You seem like good people. I appreciate our conversations. Since I no longer live in Big Bear, Onyx is not a priority for me and I would have no way of hearing it where I'm located now. There's too much Mountain between me and Onyx and your observation that the repeaters are back on the air is quite helpful. Thank you.

krazybob

...I'm replying not to Krazy but because he's spreading bad information to the other good people on this forum. This message is for them because they deserve it...

This in and of itself is disrespectful to someone that has been monitoring since 1972, who has riden in a patrol car for a great number of years, and who has actually worked for the fire department. This is also disrespectful to a man that wrote Scanner Buff software beginning in 1981 including a 300-56k baud BBS with a custom BBS door that I wrote allowing for online nationwide searches long before this group existed.

I later started Scanner Buff on the web where people could send alerts based on radio traffic they were hearing. This included writing a custom interface for any of the different 20 feeds we had at the time using TeamSpeak and Shoutcast because of its lower latency time. Using graphical maps special users like Harry Marnell could simply click on an area and it would stop the scanner on a specific frequency. It still did not beat the fine job that Lindsay has done here. I take nothing whatsoever away from him. He wrote the mousetrap that I'm not even going to try to build better. I didn't have the time to even try back then since my daughter had been diagnosed with cancer and that meant that she came first.

But you disrespect the fact that I have the ability to monitor communications you likely cannot hear from your location. I'm talking about low-power HT to HT communications. I am able to monitor multiple radio channels at one time using professional antennas at 6300 feet in the mountains. In fact, I have a DB224B (VHF) side-mounted on my 85 foot tower pointed due east with 9dBd gain. Something 99.9% of the listeners here cannot do. As a GROL and as an amateur extra class operator you offend me.

The information I posted very closely matches what Socalmountains posted. It's very difficult for me to accept that you drove from San Bernardino all the way up to Onyx Summit to speak directly with a battalion chief. I love you people that always seem to come up with "I spoke with so-and-so face to face." Right. You drove for over an hour to go on scene. Considering the BC was in on 1N01 that's funny. But I'll accept what you have to say just to avoid a further disagreement.

That however does not affect what was said over the radio by E283 that walked in on foot and reported clearly on the assigned VHF tac channel that the main building and a second 20 x 20 outbuilding were burnt to the foundation. That included the statement that the County's new radio equipment vault had been completely destroyed. I'm certain you could not hear his communication using an HT. CALFIRE is also not new to Onyx.

I will accept your statement that the firefighter might not have known the difference although County vaults are generally posted with a metallic sign on the door indicating such. That doesn't make me wrong hearing what I heard. Do you really think I make this stuff up? Why? Why on Earth would I do that? If you were a member of my Facebook group dedicated to the mountains with thousands of members you wouldn't question my accuracy.

You and several others go out of your way to disprove me time and again using specious and unverified information and thus implying yourselves to be more accurate and trustworthy. That is unfair not just to me but to the others looking for information and the moderator should take notice. That is why I have several of you blocked that enjoy following me from post to post and always following up with a negative post regarding what I've said.

I should not have to defend myself and my reputation each time I try to provide accurate information based on a long career of Public Safety. I'm S190/S130 certified with a red card. I am ICS 100, 200, 300 (intermediate ICS), 400 (advanced ICS), IS-5 All HAZMAT, NIMS-504 (SCBA), 700a,700b, and 800 certified and so many more that are irrelevant to most of you. I am ICS, IS, FEMA, NIMS, and Macs certified. The most important to note is ICS-300-400 which are multi-day, instructor/curriculum classroom classes that are graded and are prerequisites for management level fire department positions. Since I'm disabled I cannot utilize my certifications in the field at an ICP. What you got? No need for an answer.

The bottom line is that none of you know me or my training level and that doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg. You just want to shame me and tell others that I am untrustworthy. Thanks for the character assassination all over listening to a radio.

Since we both made our positions clear as well as the other mice that I've put on block we really have nothing more to talk about. It is your choice to disrespect me and not the other way around. LET IT GO.

f40ph

Feed Provider
...never said "face to face" and BTW he called ME on the phone after I sent him the security camera images and some additional information. PM me for his name if it makes you feel better but I won't post it publicly.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
This in and of itself is disrespectful...

Respect is earned. It doesn't come from a rant listing almost 40 year old accomplishments in an internet forum. Rants like this don't help.

As a GROL and as an amateur extra class operator you offend me.

There's no GROL listed under your FRN. Why do you lie about these things?

The information I posted very closely matches what Socalmountains posted.

What you posted matches it perfectly. You are to be commended for accurately transcribing what you heard. Unfortunately, what was transmitted at the scene is wrong. I can offer no explanation as to why it was wrong, but it was. This is through no fault of your own, and no one is criticizing you about it. I've seen numerous post-fire photos and other information regarding the incident. There is 100% certainty that no radio equipment was lost, knocked off the air, or even damaged.

That however does not affect what was said over the radio by E283 that walked in on foot and reported clearly on the assigned VHF tac channel that the main building and a second 20 x 20 outbuilding were burnt to the foundation. That included the statement that the County's new radio equipment vault had been completely destroyed.

Well, the thing is, Bob, E283 was wrong. The beauty of facts is, they don't care whether you believe them or not. You're invited to take a trek up the hill and take a look-see for yourself. You won't find any burned out radio vaults. Because there aren't any.

That doesn't make me wrong hearing what I heard.

No, it certainly doesn't. But then, if you continue to propagate information after being informed that it's not correct, you are now complicit in spreading rumors. I'm sure that's not your intention, but that's what's happening now. Perhaps you want to independently verify what you're being told.

You and several others go out of your way to disprove me time and again using specious and unverified information...

The thing is, it's BEEN verified, but there's no way to convey that information to you in any manner that you would find credible. I don't know what to do about that other than to suggest that you take a look for yourself somehow, or maybe you could call one of your many contacts at County Fire. I certainly don't expect you to believe me, and I certainly don't blame you for not.

That is why I have several of you blocked that enjoy following me from post to post and always following up with a negative post regarding what I've said.

Nobody is following you. Some of us live in the same area you do, listen to the same stuff, and have the same local radio interests you do. I'm participating in this thread because it's of interest to me, not because you're in it.

I should not have to defend myself and my reputation each time I try to provide accurate information based on a long career of Public Safety.

No, you don't have to defend your reputation. In fact, it's probably best you don't. It makes you look a little... unstable, and where information is verifiable, like your "GROL", there's no evidence to back it up. I called you on your Transparent California listing, too. It doesn't show you having a public safety background, it shows you having a school maintenance background. So, the more you defend yourself, the more it appears you lie and aggrandize your accomplishments.

LET IT GO.

Is this why you waited a week or so to post?

Last edited:

techman210

It seemed that this thread was "Let go" about a week ago until today when someone decided to throw gasoline on the smoldering fire and bring it back alive.

I won't repeat the facts that others have posted, but what I will add is that in the early stages of an event, information is often colored by the reporter and the witnesses to the event. That's natural, and no one is blaming anyone for that. This is something that everyone learns in Administration of Justice 101 classes.

What happened here, is someone never verified this information. For a month. It was repeated in various fourms on this website. Based on only reports from one at-home monitor. Only one source. It seems to me like someone has a bigger beef with the Socalmountains website where they obtained the bad information from than RadioReference.

Now, I don't know for certain, but in my experience, there are more people monitoring here than are registered. Some of this "information" makes it to a "friend of a friend" and before long, the users of the radio system in question - and political entities - think that there is a big black hole in radio coverage. I'm wondering how many queries the comm department in SB county needed to field because of this, and how many first responders didn't think their radios would work in places that they used to work.

Last edited:
I've read the various threads about the recent changes to the San Bernardino systems, encryption, etc and had been able to monitor systems 6/7, 8 and 9 but recently I can't receive anything on systems 8 and 9.
I know I was at least receiving fire departments and ambulance.
Does anyone have info as far as changes to frequencies or talk groups? System 6/7 is still coming in great with fire and AMR ambulance.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

I've read the various threads about the recent changes to the San Bernardino systems, encryption, etc and had been able to monitor systems 6/7, 8 and 9 but recently I can't receive anything on systems 8 and 9.
Does anyone have info as far as changes to frequencies or talk groups? System 6/7 is still coming in great with fire and AMR ambulance.

Not sure how "you're misinformed" is blatant disrespect but... sure... he can take it however he wants to. Free country and all...

I'm replying not to Krazy but because he's spreading bad information to the other good people on this forum. This message is for them because they deserve it...

I monitored the call in progress including images from a security camera on site. In fact, just to prove AGAIN more misinformation, the "first" FFs at the site were NOT county FFs as was said, it was Big Bear FD. You don't have to trust my words, I'm not offended, pull up the broadcastify feed and listen to the audio. Big Bear FD (those are the engines in the two-eighty series) got their engine stuck part-way up the road and had to WALK the rest of the way (only to give a report on conditions). Not that it matters much but I also spoke directly with the BC DURING the incident. By coincidence, I also spoke this past week with a manager at County radio who told me it was the main generator building only and NO equipment was lost. If losing new radio equipment were true, it would/will be public record when they go to the county board of supervisors and put in a claim for replacement digital repeaters. Yes the FFs "said" it was the "main" building over the radio. Those initial FFs had NEVER been up there before to know one building from another. I don't think they actually know what the "main" building is and who could blame them for that? Their radio report did NOT say anything like "specifically identified as housing the new County radio system equipment." How would they even know this?

At any rate, read my posts closely I'm here not to disrespect but to inform.
The system 8 for the sheriff dept went to the P-25 system encryption.
But you can still hear the SBCF on system 8 all they did is switched freqs.

Patrick Ver Vooren
E-mail patrick31365@verizon.net

krazybob

It seemed that this thread was "Let go" about a week ago until today when someone decided to throw gasoline on the smoldering fire and bring it back alive.

I won't repeat the facts that others have posted, but what I will add is that in the early stages of an event, information is often colored by the reporter and the witnesses to the event. That's natural, and no one is blaming anyone for that. This is something that everyone learns in Administration of Justice 101 classes.

What happened here, is someone never verified this information. For a month. It was repeated in various fourms on this website. Based on only reports from one at-home monitor. Only one source. It seems to me like someone has a bigger beef with the Socalmountains website where they obtained the bad information from than RadioReference.

Now, I don't know for certain, but in my experience, there are more people monitoring here than are registered. Some of this "information" makes it to a "friend of a friend" and before long, the users of the radio system in question - and political entities - think that there is a big black hole in radio coverage. I'm wondering how many queries the comm department in SB county needed to field because of this, and how many first responders didn't think their radios would work in places that they used to work.
There were two services for this information. Me and Socalmountain. They their own scribe copying everything down to their website. We were both reporting exactly what we heard over the radio. As I previously stated if the information changed after the fact I would not be privy to it. That doesn't mean my information was inaccurate. I provided the information that I received over the radio exactly as I heard it. I don't listen to Socalmountains because I have my own monitoring infrastructure. A rather expensive and elaborate infrastructure. It just happens that the information they reported is the same information I reported. I am done being called a liar here. Since I haven't been back here I would not consider the issue closed after reading the open disrespect from F40ph specifically stating that he was not addressing me for reasons that he couldn't justify. I am done being disrespected. Nice to see you here Chris.

Now drop it. You should never have jumped in on this at all.

krazybob

One last fact. When e283 hosted in he reported that the main structure and 120 x 20 out building had burned to the foundation. That implies that if one was the county building all equipment would have been destroyed. Perhaps he was mistaken that it was the county building. That was his initial statement and then radio traffic drifted off to nothingness. Some of you see here want to seemingly fault those of us that monitored and reported exactly what we had heard. I don't care what somebody learned in administration of justice. I can tell you what I learned in the academy and work in the street. Yes you follow up. When it's your job to follow up. I was just a listener with no reason to distrust the information I heard via radio or who had any requirement to follow up on that information. Firefighters are expected to give accurate information.

Now is the time for some of you to stop screwing with me and looking for every little itty bitty thing that you can pick out. Yes I should have said Big Bear fire was first on scene rather than saying it as County fire was first on scene. Of course I know the difference between the agencies. Since they are dispatched over the county radio system it was just a simple statement they did not require such depths of conversation to clarify. That's nitpicking. How about this: "A firefighter from some fire agency in the state of California was the first to walk into the fire location and reported that...

At the end of the day the information was still the same. It did not depend on who worked for whom. If you want me to stop replying stop bringing up my name. Now two more of you have jumped in that had absolutely nothing to do with the initial conversation. Start following the rules of this board.

1. Everyone is to be seen and equal here.
  2. All replies to a thread are to be on topic or within reason.
  3. Replies to a thread should be aligned with the spirit / intent of the threat. Replies that are meant to derail the thread or don't contribute to the o p original intent are examples of thread crapping.

Now please stop following me from thread to thread and posting contrary information unless you can prove it is correct and accurate. I will hold you to the same standard but I won't waste time nitpicking.

f40ph

Feed Provider
I don't need to prove a radio site did not lose new radio equipment in a fire.
Like most everyone here, we read threads pertaining to SBCo. When we see information that is incorrect, we chime in.
If I were to share incorrect information on this forum, I would hope someone would point it out.

krazybob

I don't need to prove a radio site did not lose new radio equipment in a fire.
Like most everyone here, we read threads pertaining to SBCo. When we see information that is incorrect, we chime in.
If I were to share incorrect information on this forum, I would hope someone would point it out.

You can drop this anytime.

You can't have it both ways. You cannot say that you do not have to prove that a County radio system vault was burnt to the ground while implying that I do by telling me that I was misinformed. I have the verbatim radio transcripts at my fingertips. I'm sure that you don't. The radio traffic transcribed was correct. In the end if no radio equipment was damaged then so be it, but that does not make the radio transcript incorrect.

I'm sure you weren't monitoring BLM and CALFIRE and Big Bear Fire Authority and County Fire all at the same time like I was. Just as socalmountains was that I am unaffiliated with. I do not monitor through them. I monitor directly through a 26 foot tall commercial antenna mounted at the top of an 85-foot tower connected to a Motorola through hardline. You're welcome to come visit my shack anytime you'd like.

This discussion could end when you stop implying that I erred in my statements. "Krazybob, you're misinformed about Onyx. No radio equipment was lost." Let me know when y'all decide you can stop using me as a pinata instead of using me as a resource.

I was not misinformed when I monitored the radio traffic as it took place. If it was later determined that no radio equipment was lost then that's fine. But don't put four pinocchios on me in this forum because information obtained at a later time changed what was stated over the radio. It isn't my job as a monitor to follow up. My subsequent statements were that I was not sure if the county system on onyx was operating since I had heard as a result of the communications that the vault was completely destroyed. Allend was kind enough to let me know.

MON DEC 24 2:43 PM
ADDITIONAL UNITS HAVE MADE IT TO THE SCENE. TOTAL LOSS OF 20 BY 20 FOOT STRUCTURE HOUSING NEW COUNTY RADIO EQUIPMENT AS WELL AS RELATED HARDWARE SUCH AS BATTERIES. WILL INDICATE THIS AS A HAZ-MAT SITUATION ON THE NOTES AND WILL NOTIFY FOREST SERVICE OF HAZMAT DUE TO BATTERIES. NOTE THAT THE EQUIPMENT LOST IN THIS FIRE WAS NEW COUNTY RADIO EQUIPMENT. NOT SURE AT THIS TIME EXACTLY WHAT FREQUENCIES OR SERVICES MAY BE IMPACTED BY THE LOSS OF THIS STRUCTURE. LP GAS EXPOSURE HAS BEEN MITIGATED. A FIRE INVESTIGATOR HAS BEEN REQUESTED AND IS RESPONDING FROM THE APPLE VALLEY AREA.

And why would the Chief 3602 call you? How are you special? Chris. You're not a firefighter for San Bernardino County or the Big Bear Fire Authority. if you were a radio check you'd have a radio in your vehicle and a HT for your home. I know. You're an amateur radio operator that has a repeater up there and therefore you had access to the security monitor.

That still doesn't make me misinformed. I heard what I heard and that's the last we should hear this. Unless of course you want to keep drilling it in and putting four pinocchios on me for reading exactly what was said over the radio. When you start walking on water let me know.

I am done being beaten around like a pinata here.

LET IT GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.