San Deigo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I am going to be visiting San Deigo staying close to the San Deigo Convention Center. What system will I need to program into my PRO-96 to listen to the San Deigo PD and FD?

Any other suggestion of systems to program into the scanner to listen to?

Will LAPD be to far to listen to?

Thank you!

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Equipmentwise, the City Trunk requires (at the moment) analog 800 MHz Motorola trunking. Easy.

The County RCS is combined analog (fire, city works stuff) and digital (most police) and requires APCO25 capable Motorola trunking.

LA is 'out of range' for any practical hopes of reception, unless ducting is in, and you have a good spot.

There are plenty of other trunk systems of varied types around, military and civilian. LTR is used by some. Most (though you can get lucky, rarely) federal law enforcement is both P25 and encrypted. Plenty of naval bases and the MCAS to listen to, from the military side.

For just a visit, you probably want just the City Trunk. You might want to listen to the Convention Center's low power trunking system, as well. It's in the database here. If you go for the County Trunk, you'll want the 'South Loop' part of it.

Mick

You could monitor the Convention Center too:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2706

Some LAPD channels work as far as the Mexico Border, but it's a long shot:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=201

I am going to be visiting San Diego staying close to the San Deigo Convention Center. What system will I need to program into my PRO-96 to listen to the San Deigo PD and FD?

Any other suggestion of systems to program into the scanner to listen to?

Will LAPD be to far to listen to?

Thank you!

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber

brandon

Database Admin
What would be the best LAPD frequencies to listen to from San Diego?
Best luck would be Southwest, 77th, Harbor, Southeast, etc, but I would program them all. I travel the I-15 in Miramar and can usually copy every division with good results. Keep in mind there are no guarantees you will hear them it really depends whats blocking your view, how high up your are and how good the tropo is.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
For the County Sheriffs and other cities you may program the RCS System [url said:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499[/url]

I notice the County Sheriffs has a lot of sites, so which site is closes to the San Deigo Convention Center?

One of the post stated that I need to program the City of San Deigo in the PRO-96 as a splinter system, so what is a splinter system?

Thank you.

brandon

Database Admin
I would use the South Zone for the RCS

Splinter system (from RR): "Please be aware that all 800MHz frequencies used in San Diego between 851.0000 and 865.9875MHz are assigned from the SPLINTER bandplan. This means they are offset by 12.5kHZ (e.g., 856.0125 is not used, instead 856.0000 is used in its place). When programming any Motorola 3600 trunked system you must program the system as a splinter system."

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
PRO-96 File

A RR member by the name of Gene had sent me an email stating that he would send me a PRO-96 file of the San Diego area if I email him for an okay. But Unfortunately Gene's personal email did not work and his RR acount is not accepting emails. Gene please email my RR account. Thank you.

mike619

I can listen to long beach fire and some other los angeles agencies in my house in chula vista on my pro-83 and pro 95.

Status
Not open for further replies.