San Diego 700 Mhz TGID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

All,

Just recently, within the past few days, I've been seeing some weird [to me anyway] TG's on the above. Things like 8192, 8199, 8198, 8195, etc. What's with the eight-thousand ID's! Anyone else picking these up? Most of them seem to be speaking about incidents in North Park, Normal Heights, Kensington areas specifically.

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
Looks like some of those are tagged for Sanitation, the others might be new TGs in the same group. The Sanitation crews are a rough bunch on the radio, street sweeping especially so (I've heard more foul language from them than some Tarantino movies), so thats one way to tell who it is.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
All the 8100 talkgroups are sanitation. “Rough bunch” is one way to put it.

JoeyC

Those 8100 talkgroups were the first to hit the system and have been active on it for at least 6 years.

StevenS

Yep, you all are correct. Those talkgroups are associated with the City of San Diego Department of Sanitation Environmental Services. I have overheard them mentioning that over the years on the air. The trash trucks tend to contact their specific dispatch on 8199 in cases of issues or breakdowns, but all of the other channels are designated for the individual sections. Sections seem to be how their supervision is handled and affect how routes are assigned. And the trash, recycling, and greenery drivers all use their specific assigned Section channel. The 21 section drivers are on talkgroup 8192 almost daily.

When I can't find anything interesting to listen to, I will sometimes check out what the sanitation guys are chit-chatting about that day. Sometimes it can be hilarious! They go on and on about current events in the news, city gossip, fishing, boats, motorcycles, and all kinds of things. Some days they get on a roll and it is like stand up comedy. Other times it can get a little rough when they go after each other's work habits or general appearance that day. :) You seem to need thick skin to work with those guys and survive the work week :)

Alain

These are all great responses to my post. Thank you all(!)...yet another question has turned up.

Can anyone tell me just how you uncover TGID's identities? Been monitoring NEXTGEN today and the 3400 TG's are surfacing, but chatter is almost non-existent! Since they are not listed in the RRDB, how do you begin to uncover TG identities?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

After searching around the RR forums, seeking an answer to my post, I came upon this advice from N1GAW, in North Carolina: [Help TGID's]

"I'm not in the area and can't help, but from experience in my area it helps if you share/listen for call signs, locations and types of traffic (IE Charlie 323 traffic stop at 5th and Main, Unit 609 sewer backup at xyz, EMS12 sick call at abc, etc) helps others who may be familiar with the call signs or traffic you are hearing. Good luck!"

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
TGID 19 at the moment sounds like it is being used for police dispatcher training.

TGID 1003 sounds like it could be the City Development services Department (DSD). Has radio traffic of people looking to pick up building plans and what not. DSD website was mentioned several times. Development Services | City of San Diego Official Website.

Great catch, TG 1003 on the new 700 MHz system corresponds to TG 16048 on the old 800 MHz system. That talkgroup isn't in the database but I have Unitrunker hits on it, so it's reasonable to assume that was the DSD talkgroup on the old system as well.

I believe TG 19 is a new talkgroup on the 700 MHz system only.

I also caught TG 1395 today on the 700 MHz system, which sounded possibly like street sweepers in North Park discussing which streets had been covered.

Alain

While we're on the subject, does anyone know who is responsible for assigning TGID's to specific departments? Does one division in the radio communications hierarchy have dominion over all San Diego City/County fire/police/chp/cal-fire, etc?

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
While we're on the subject, does anyone know who is responsible for assigning TGID's to specific departments? Does one division in the radio communications hierarchy have dominion over all San Diego City/County fire/police/chp/cal-fire, etc?
For the city of San Diego, the city wireless services office creates talkgroup IDs.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber

For the RCS, it is the Programming Unit of the Sheriff's Wireless Services Division (WSD).

Status
Not open for further replies.