San Diego area George Floyd protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, sounds like it is almost time to throw in the towel on LE scanning. Only S/O dispatches in the clear right now and that probably won't last. Unless the encrypted agencies want to do everyone a favor and go back to clear mode after things quiet down (unlikely), I wasted my money on new stuff. Now it's fire or nothing it seems...

JoeyC

Well, sounds like it is almost time to throw in the towel on LE scanning. Only S/O dispatches in the clear right now and that probably won't last. Unless the encrypted agencies want to do everyone a favor and go back to clear mode after things quiet down (unlikely), I wasted my money on new stuff. Now it's fire or nothing it seems...
What are you talking about? Almost everything with LE scanning in SD county is in the clear.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
As we figure out the new names for secure talkgroups, the DB has been updated with a different designation for this one. You called it Secure 2 but the DB says Secure 4.

Should probably just name the DES channels "LEC SECURE 2161" or similar for now until things are fully nailed down. The LEC SECURE 2 designation was used extensively the first night when SDPD went to CEN TAC, as they kept tryijng to wrangle units from CVPD and Harbor, so they kept repeating LEC SECURE 2 over and over on the air on the patch. Typically, we would expect the talkgroups to sequentially increase by ID and by name, but not for sure happening?

La Mesa on riot day one was extensively referencing 83Eh as LEC SECURE 1...they then started using 83Eh for the Poway stuff a few days ago. Sorry if the hex is confusing, I use hex ID in my Whistler and Unidens since they remain the same for 3600 or 9600 trunking, makes updating stuff easier.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Most of the encrypted LEC SECURE channels are lit up, 99% encrypted, but sporatic clear comms come across. Works well on a Uniden, passing up ENC comms,, but it locks up my Whistlers.

Paul

Gene

Premium Subscriber
Part of the reason why LE is turning to encryption is evident in all of the news stories from around the US regarding the use of cell phone apps to monitor LE by the protestors. If people would just shut down their feeds until this problem is over, perhaps the use of encryption would lessen. Just look at all of the news stories about this. I am originally from a Chicago Suburb that was looted this past week and could not believe the number of listeners to Broadcastify at the time of the looting and I doubt whether that was Charlie Civilian living in the affected area. Looters also have phones. It will only be a matter of time before Chicago and New York PDs go to encryption as well.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Part of the reason why LE is turning to encryption is evident in all of the news stories from around the US regarding the use of cell phone apps to monitor LE by the protestors. If people would just shut down their feeds until this problem is over, perhaps the use of encryption would lessen. Just look at all of the news stories about this. I am originally from a Chicago Suburb that was looted this past week and could not believe the number of listeners to Broadcastify at the time of the looting and I doubt whether that was Charlie Civilian living in the affected area. Looters also have phones. It will only be a matter of time before Chicago and New York PDs go to encryption as well.

My understanding was that because they were running everything on LE S Tac 4 and other tacs for SDPD, that the comms were never up on Broadcastify. They stayed clear the first few nights until rocks and bottles got thrown, then called to move to encrypted. Later as the violence ceased, they moved back to clear. That was the first few days...now its 100% encyption. One note, the Cop Watch "team" was live video streaming their scanner on SDPD Tac 6 for the type of poeple who like Cop Watch...that was the day before they went to CEN TAC. As far as I know, Cop Watch was the only ones who were putting out cop tac scanner audio?

Paul

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
I run two of the three SD City feeds on broadcastify and I can guarantee neither of them had Tac channels selected during all this. I worry as well once they switched it on they just won't ever turn it back off.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Santee Dispatch asked a unit to go to "Secure 3"...a few minutes later, talkgroup 2121/849h started talking in the clear, at least the dispatcher was in the clear. Can someone amend the database?

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Should probably just name the DES channels "LEC SECURE 2161" or similar for now until things are fully nailed down. The LEC SECURE 2 designation was used extensively the first night when SDPD went to CEN TAC, as they kept tryijng to wrangle units from CVPD and Harbor, so they kept repeating LEC SECURE 2 over and over on the air on the patch. Typically, we would expect the talkgroups to sequentially increase by ID and by name, but not for sure happening?

The DES talkgroups (DES-XL Standard encryption) were renamed the SECURE talkgroups (now AES standard).

Status
Not open for further replies.