San Diego City 700MHz System

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
All police and fire radios have been 700MHz capable models for YEARS......

I'll not comment on the second portion of your statement, but until Sprint funded the replacement of the PD and FD radios, the majority were not 700 MHz capable (and the older radios were not digital capable).

JoeyC

Today, the SD Fire Department is simulcasting Dispatch TG 5008 from the city 800 system to TG 313 on the 700 system. Sounds great, but so far, no other SDFD traffic on any other talkgroup.

Edit: TG 323 is active too simulcasting 800 system TG 5168 (7A).

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The engines sound like an RCS patch. :)

At my home at the base of Cowles Mountain, where I get the RCS perfectly clear decode, the 700 system is choppy on my 396XT. Must be that damn LSM linear simulcast problem. Pretty bad issue for the future, will have to pop this system in my 436HP and see how well it handles it.

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
And it appears the 2 talk groups have gone quiet this morning on the 700 MHz system. Probably not to tie up the system for all of the important communications of the sanitation department. :)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Always interesting to see a trunked system with more frequencies than talkgroups. :)

Paul

mike619

I have that 700 system programmed and plugged in those talkgroups and they were loud and clear when I heard them considering the system is horrible and choppy.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I did submit a couple of talk group finds on the Sanitation talk groups. 8190 seems to be a broadcast announcements TG and 8197 is just more truck chatter.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Logged about 20 minutes of traffic on talk group 13 Tuesday afternoon. Was SDPD Northern D1. Not going to submit this to RR yet. This is FYI only.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Looks like the city radio shop has been busy on the 700 system this afternoon. Seeing activity on TG's 2571, 4001, 4002, 4003, 4016 and 91. Was not able to listen to the audio -- only captured in a log.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
SDPD Eastern Dispatch 1 is now being simulcast on the 700MHz system. :)

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Heard a slight blip of unknown SDPD dispatcher on 141.

The city 700 system sounds choppy and broken on my 396, but crisp and clear on my TRX-1. :)

Paul

mike619

I have it programmed on my BCD396XT and it is very choppy as well but it depends what antenna I have equipped on it but I do not listen much to it because it is mostly garbage trucks on it.

novacheck

Question

So any news on this, are they starting to or do they have any plans on moving to the 700 system? I love listening to SDPD, I feel they really do show transparency to the public by not encrypting. I sure hope this is not a step in that direction.

Listening has helped me in many ways, I know why the Able is flying over me and to stay inside. I also know if they are looking for someone in my area and if I see the person I can call 911 and report to them. I think scanners is a very good tool for them because responsible citizens can keep an eye out and report back to them.

I know on the flip side they are concerned about criminals having them as well, but lets face it how many times have subjects actually been using a Scanner? Also they have so many TGs they could switch over to that are not streaming online that would allow scanner citizens access but not users on smartphone streaming the traffic.

Ok this wasn't suppose to be about encryption LOL I'm sorry....

I just wanted to know if anyone has any information on when this system will go live for PD traffic and any information they might have. If you don't want to post it for everyone maybe PM me?

On another note I programmed my BCD396XT with the 700 information, normally I import from Radio Reference using proscan but my subscription just expired so I tried to set it up myself using freescan. I have not heard anything at all on it, any ideas? Do I need change anything I have it set as a P25 Standard (Digital XT) I also only added the Control Freqs and the AC freqs.

Thanks for any help and input, and I didnt mean for this to become all about Encryption :)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Only the garbage trucks use it, so if you are not listening while garbage trucks are driving around on the streets, then you won't hear anything. Do not think they run at night or on weekends. Did you put anything in the bandblan settings? It should auto populate those fields if you can see the system data when you hold on the control channel.

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Has been submitted to RR for update:

Northern D1 = TG13
Southern D1 = TG81
Eastern D1 = TG91
Western D1 = TG101
Central D1 = TG111
Mid City D1= 141

celbaseman

Feed Provider
While doing some research on a system in Nevada which was changing from a Motorola Type ii Smart Zone to P25, I found an interesting note that stated, to convert the talk groups from the old system to the new system, divide the old talk group decimal number by 16 to get the P25 talk group number. I tried this on the talk groups that have been discovered connecting to the SD 700 system and this proves to be true.

I have taken the RR data base and have converted all of the 800 system talk groups to the 700 system talk group numbers using excel. While I tried to post this information in the Wiki for the 700 system, it did not show up as a table like I had hoped.

While it is not certain that the city will be converting all of the talk groups over from the 800 system; I have noticed that PD and FD talk groups have popped up on the 700 system from time to time.