San Diego City 700MHz System

SDBud

Driving around with it today I got a solid decode on the control channel while driving in the Allied Gardens and Mission Gorge area but only briefly. The scanner struggles to keep hold of the CC and most of the time cannot. Stationary at home, it would only briefly catch the CC and the scanner spent most of its time in search of a usable signal. I wonder if some transmitters have recently been activated because as I think you said before, I don't remember it being this bad in the past, then again, I don't listen often.

I recently put the 700 system into my 996T, but hadn't tried listening to it until now.

Seems to work, finds the control channel, signal strength fluctuates between 2 and 5, with the radio not moving at all.
Says it is trunking, but no traffic even in search mode, at 8pm..

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Except for the SDPD patches, hearing Mid City as I type this on 700, all the radio traffic is 8AM-5PM garbage trucks and landfiill only, then silence.

My 996XT's will not decode the CC for the 700 system anywhere near my station on 47th, as well as other areas near cell phone towers where even the 1 signal bar strength Site 45 Next Gen will decode. By decode I mean hold on CC and 996 displays the system and site. Guessing the LSM mixes with 700MHZ AWS Verizon cell towers just botches the 996's receiver in those conditions, even with full signal line of site to mutliple towers.

Paul

I recently put the 700 system into my 996T, but hadn't tried listening to it until now.

Seems to work, finds the control channel, signal strength fluctuates between 2 and 5, with the radio not moving at all.
Says it is trunking, but no traffic even in search mode, at 8pm..

shadow925

I upgraded my BCD436HP to firmware 1.26 and it noticeably improved the digital voice quality. Still having a lot of LSM issues when not stationary.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Now hearing Central Disp 1 and FD 7A and 7B on the 700MHz system.

Paul

disp10

Premium Subscriber
San Diego Fire switching to the City digital 700 mhz system in "Early 2020" per a memo to department members. Same memo said the County was switching to their digital 700 mhz system in "roughly mid-August".

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The county will be operating on the SD City 700 system for mutual aid you mean, or was county 700 a mistype?

Paul

disp10

Premium Subscriber
The county will be operating on the SD City 700 system for mutual aid you mean, or was county 700 a mistype?

Paul
The County will be switching to the NextGen system in roughly mid-August. At least that is what the memo said. Your results may vary.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
The RCS switchover is currently slated to start after Labor Day. There will be some non-public safety use on the new system starting in August.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Don, is this a hard cutover or a soft cutover...will there be patches between OldGen and NextGen or any FD dispatches that stay receivable on the OldGen?

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Mister, it is all part of a secret local government conspiracy to trade frequency bands for federal border wall construction. :)

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Don, is this a hard cutover or a soft cutover...will there be patches between OldGen and NextGen or any FD dispatches that stay receivable on the OldGen?

Paul

Paul,

In phases over a multi-month period. As individual agencies shift, there will be a period where TGs will work in both systems (untill all radios are cut over). Mutual Aid TGs will work in both systems. We're still working through the Fire logistics.

Don

SDBud

San Diego Fire switching to the City digital 700 mhz system in "Early 2020" per a memo to department members. Same memo said the County was switching to their digital 700 mhz system in "roughly mid-August".

Per a Medic friend, all new 700mhz radios being deployed last week and this week, with switch to 700 system coming soon, maybe July 1..

Not a problem, my 996 handles it pretty well.

CAN NOT see the County switching, they have done NO testing that I'm ware of, and that WILL mean problems, likely big ones.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
7A, 7B, Eastern D1, and Mid City D1, have been perma-patched for some time now.

Paul

billybob

Premium Subscriber
CAN NOT see the County switching, they have done NO testing that I'm ware of, and that WILL mean problems, likely big ones.

I hear them testing all the time. The system sounds great.

SDBud

CAN NOT see the County switching, they have done NO testing that I'm aware of, and that WILL mean problems, likely big ones.

I hear them testing all the time. The system sounds great.

On 700mhz?? There is nothing in the database indicating that.