San Diego Co/Imperial Co Regional Communications System (RCS) Question Thread

Mike_G_D

North is currently, 9:57 AM Nov. 10, 2019, using one of the "alternate" CC's as opposed to the "usual". 853.6875MHz as opposed to the "normal-so-far" of 853.8375MHz. West looks to be on its "normal-so-far" of 852.575MHz at the moment.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
The South is currently using the alternate CC of 853.4375 instead of the primary 855.7125. First time in a decade I've ever seen an alternate CC actually being used.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
It’s been using 853.4375 since last week.

I’m guessing NextGen South will stay on that frequency(853.4375) due to Orange County using the same 855.7125 frequency(voice) that the NextGen South Cell was using.

But Don would know better on what’s going on about it.

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
It’s been using 853.4375 since last week.

I’m guessing NextGen South will stay on that frequency(853.4375) due to Orange County using the same 855.7125 frequency(voice) that the NextGen South Cell was using.

But Don would know better on what’s going on about it.

855.7125 is a LOANED Test Frequency from Orange County (I won't get into the details, but blame Rebanding.)

Once we complete the migration, the channel will revert back to Orange County.

Don

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
I use an old RS2006 to feed control channel to Trunk 88 controlling a Uniden BCD996XT. I monitor(ed) SDRCS 470F zone 02 (in Ramona) and its gone dark except for ambulances. Where are the Sheriffs, etc? I tried control channels on the nextgen RCS and the only one I can get is 853.9250 listed as Site 1-43 - East Simulcast Cell. Trunk 88 only displays 6 frequencies and the only activity is from imperial county sheriff dispatch and some ambulances. The SysID is still 470F and Zone is 03. Where have my Sheriffs, etc gone? Time to say goodbye to the hobby without a radio upgrade?

SDBud

I use an old RS2006 to feed control channel to Trunk 88 controlling a Uniden BCD996XT. I monitor(ed) SDRCS 470F zone 02 (in Ramona) and its gone dark except for ambulances. Where are the Sheriffs, etc? I tried control channels on the nextgen RCS and the only one I can get is 853.9250 listed as Site 1-43 - East Simulcast Cell. Trunk 88 only displays 6 frequencies and the only activity is from imperial county sheriff dispatch. The SysID is still 470F and Zone is 03. Where have my Sheriffs, etc gone? Time to say goodbye to the hobby without a radio upgrade?

The County has a new Phase 2 system. ALL new. Go to the database for the County, scroll all the way down to near the bottom, and look fr the San Diego County NextGen listing.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Someone really should place the NextGen at the top of the list for County agencies instead of the old RCS link...heck, even SD City shows a link to 700MHz, even though the database doesn't have anything but a couple of talkgroups.

Paul

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
Yes, I tried entering several nextgen control channels into scanner, could only receive one, 853.9250 listed as Site 1-43 - East Simulcast Cell. . Trunk 88 displays it as the old 470F sysid zone 03. Weird.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with Trunk88, but if you program the NextGen into the 996, you must set it as a P25 Trunking system, not Type II.

Paul

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
I see what happened. 853.9250 is listed as an alternate for Site 1-43 - East Simulcast Cell on nextgen, and is also the primary for old 470F site 03. I thought I was getting the nextgen site because nothing was heard on the primary for nextgen site. Sheesh.

jturner3

Have been updating my Uniden BCD536 to the RCS NextGen system, my location is west end of Ramona.

Solid copy on SD Sheriffs Santee, Poway, Rural, CHP, Fire (Monte Vista and Heartland)

My questions,

- Has Barona Tribal Police moved to NextGen, they show a talk group in the database but cannot find them. What cell site are they on does anyone copy them on NextGen?

- Has the Law Com Centers moved to NextGen, no copy on them here, and they are not heard any longer on the legacy RCS.

- Law, Fire and Med Air, their status on NextGen, still receiving them on the legacy RCS but not on NextGen?

From previous threads it sounds like the older scanners like the Radio Shack pro-106 and the Uniden BC796 will no longer work on the TDMA NextGen, anybody have any information to the contrary?

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Have been updating my Uniden BCD536 to the RCS NextGen system, my location is west end of Ramona.

Solid copy on SD Sheriffs Santee, Poway, Rural, CHP, Fire (Monte Vista and Heartland)

My questions,

- Has Barona Tribal Police moved to NextGen, they show a talk group in the database but cannot find them. What cell site are they on does anyone copy them on NextGen?

- Has the Law Com Centers moved to NextGen, no copy on them here, and they are not heard any longer on the legacy RCS.

- Law, Fire and Med Air, their status on NextGen, still receiving them on the legacy RCS but not on NextGen?

From previous threads it sounds like the older scanners like the Radio Shack pro-106 and the Uniden BC796 will no longer work on the TDMA NextGen, anybody have any information to the contrary?

On the West Cell I have monitored Barona Tribal Police on talkgroup 1801 recently. Law Air and Med Air have also been active. I have not yet heard Fire Air, Law CC or Fire CC on NextGen.

jimbrogers

Premium Subscriber
I found some information that is you take the old RCS talk group number and divide them by 16, you get the new talk group number. I had my Sentinel software do it for for my BCD536HP, and the conversation was nice. There is still some agencies using both still as they get some bugs worked out. I found on the new system, that signals are stronger. I am on the eastern side of Ramona. Just been having some issue with NFM.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If you set Sentinel to HEX, the talkgroup ID's from the old RRdb RCS will be the same for the NextGen.

I have been hearing Law C C on NextGen, but only on Site 41...pretty much everything that matters except Fire C C has made the move. Just waiting to hear SAR and Fire C C pop up on NextGen before I can completely delete my old RCS banks.

Paul

SDBud

My questions,

Not sure about Barona, but Law CC and Fire CC have been on NG for a few weeks. Coming in here on South and West, but on East when I listen there. Law Air & Med Air Also on NG, and used quite a bit. Not much use of Fire Air recently.

The 106 and 796 WILL pick up anything in P1 mode on NextGen, but there will be fewer and fewer old radios on the system as time advances..

Can someone tell me if the new RCS still includes Rattlesnake Mountain? I work at San Vicente and was able to RX SDSO and CHP on the old system. I can't even get a data channel on the new system now so no RX at all. Something has changed. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

Stacy.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The Nextegn, on a site per site basis, has much less of a coverage footprint compared to the old RCS. Same for the SDPD 700 system.

Paul