San Diego Co/Imperial Co Regional Communications System (RCS) Question Thread

SDBud

I have heard Wildland on Heartland on RCS 2J, 2K, 2L, 2M, 2N and also on VHF, but got to be close by.

The XSD Command channels are usually on easily heard towers, but the tacs are not. And then, there is, of course, the interference from SO MANY things that yoiu usually miss on the 800 trunked systems.

mike619

I like to monitor fire department radio and I am east county at the moment and in order to get Northcomm and Escondido would I need to add the west and north sites in addition to the south site in which I get Heartland and Metro fire?

SDBud

I like to monitor fire department radio and I am east county at the moment and in order to get Northcomm and Escondido would I need to add the west and north sites in addition to the south site in which I get Heartland and Metro fire?

North and West are simulcast, so everything on one is on the other.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
North and West are simulcast, so everything on one is on the other.

Not entirely accurate...North and West site logs indicate there are talkgroups that can light up on one but not the other...FD Zone 4 for instance you will see a bit of North only on the tacs, and then for like Oceanside, you will see a bit of Cars traffic that will only be on one of the sites due to terrain and lack of affiliated units in the middle of the night.

Paul

bhesson

Premium Subscriber
Have been hearing a squeally transmissions on CFA 10A Disp. On the south simulcast site. Is that some sort of special transmission mode or encryption?

Mike_G_D

Been hearing that a lot recently and wondering the same thing - definitely doesn't sound like "normal" tone-outs. Thought at first it was stuck mic's as I could sometimes hear voices and other sounds in the background but it happened so frequently. Haven't heard it today, though.

-Mike

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I just thought it was funny they are using the same tone out (is it just a mp3 of the TV show?) as the old Rescue 51 TV show!

Paul

Mike_G_D

I just thought it was funny they are using the same tone out (is it just a mp3 of the TV show?) as the old Rescue 51 TV show!

Paul
Yes! Actually I forgot about that - I noticed that too awhile back. Haven't heard that recently though.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I have noticed a new site has popped up on the "peers" list for the West Simulcast, it is 001-051. The control channel is 853.8625.

Because it is in the "peers" list, does not mean it is on the air, yet. If anyone tunes in on this channel; it would be nice to know from what part of the county it is heard.

OBTW, peers is a list channels and site names that are sent out on the control channel so that a mobile will know what other control channels the radio can tune to, if it looses the present control channel.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I have noticed a new site has popped up on the "peers" list for the West Simulcast, it is 001-051. The control channel is 853.8625.

Because it is in the "peers" list, does not mean it is on the air, yet. If anyone tunes in on this channel; it would be nice to know from what part of the county it is heard.

OBTW, peers is a list channels and site names that are sent out on the control channel so that a mobile will know what other control channels the radio can tune to, if it looses the present control channel.

According to a list that was submitted near the beginning of the P25 transition (and shown on the database page for RCS Nextgen in the system notes), Site 1-051 is called "P51 Mustang." Other than the famous WWII airplane, I'm not sure where this is a reference to in San Diego or Imperial county.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
According to a list that was submitted near the beginning of the P25 transition (and shown on the database page for RCS Nextgen in the system notes), Site 1-051 is called "P51 Mustang." Other than the famous WWII airplane, I'm not sure where this is a reference to in San Diego or Imperial county.

A little behind-the-scenes history: The former 3 channel SmartZone site in the Shop used for site base radio repairs and burn-in was "Area 51" because it was there and not seen by the average user. With the equipment for the new system, a replacement P25 site was included. That equipment was turned up early to provide the Programming Room a working P25 site to refine code plug settings during the multiple programming (Rebanding and Migration) phases. As this new test site was the P25 version of "Area 51" it became "P51" to denote it from "Area 51". As Inigo notes, in WWII, the P51 was called the Mustang.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
A little behind-the-scenes history: The former 3 channel SmartZone site in the Shop used for site base radio repairs and burn-in was "Area 51" because it was there and not seen by the average user. With the equipment for the new system, a replacement P25 site was included. That equipment was turned up early to provide the Programming Room a working P25 site to refine code plug settings during the multiple programming (Rebanding and Migration) phases. As this new test site was the P25 version of "Area 51" it became "P51" to denote it from "Area 51". As Inigo notes, in WWII, the P51 was called the Mustang.

Thanks Don! I remember hearing about the "Area 51" site, and should have made the connection with the new P25 site. Thanks for the history! :)

shadow925

Has anyone noticed any changes to the SD County system? My Unication G4 can't connect to the control channel. Just stuck on "Scanning". Worked fine yesterday.

<edit> Was something funky with the radio. I switched back to the City system and it wouldn't connect there either. Turned it off and back on and it went through a reset. All fine now.

Mike_G_D

Has anyone noticed any changes to the SD County system? My Unication G4 can't connect to the control channel. Just stuck on "Scanning". Worked fine yesterday.
My P25RX is still locking fine on the North and West systems. Which sites are you monitoring? I cannot receive any sites but North and West where I am. I am noticing audio level on some users seems to go way down at times, mostly dispatchers but sometimes field units as well.

-Mike