San Diego County encryption

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Escondido Police: Fully encrypted as of July 20, 2020

Chula Vista Police: Fully encrypted as of December 17, 2020

National City Police are confirmed to be encrypting by January 1, 2021

Have inquiries going out to every agency, including San Diego Police and Sheriffs Office, trying to get as much information as possible. The CLETS document posted below has officially been acknowledged as the reason for the rush to encrypt.

Paul

20-09-cjis.jpg

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for providing the document above. I used the information contained in that document to do a Google search on FBI CJIS and when I got to that document I read sections 4.3 titled Personally Identifiable Information also known as PII. I read section 5.10 titled "System and Communications Protection and Information Integrity. It spoke about information systems and software as it applies to computers. It referenced section 5.13 which is titled "Policy of Mobile Devices". It talks about smartphones and tablets. Section 5.13.1 is titled Wireless Communications Technologies which talks about cellphones Bluetooth, satellite, microwave and land mobile radio. Land mobile radio is never mentioned again in the entire section.

I did not look into California Department of Justice documentation, primarily because I am not a California resident. Bottom line here, any agency using the FBI document as justification to encrypt police radio traffic is stating a lie. The document DOES NOT require law enforcement agencies to encrypt. As a matter of fact section 5.13.1.2.2 titled voice transmissions over cellular devices says " any cellular device used to transmit Criminal Justice Information via voice is exempt from encryption and authentication requirements". So using common sense if cellphones are exempt and land mobile radio just like cellphones is voice transmitted via radio wouldn't it stand to reason that this section exempts them to?

DO NOT let agencies get away with this. Again, maybe the CA Department of Justice has a section that speaks specifically to two way radio communication banning the broadcasting of wants and warrants or motor vehicle registration information however, if their document is only referencing the FBI CJIS document, then the FBI CJIS document DOES NOT require police radio encryption!

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Very not good... I have been monitoring CV off and on literally since the early 70's when I was a Chula Vista Police Explorer. Very disappointing that they (and others) are choosing to go this route.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
San Diego Police confirming they are aware of the CLETS memorandum, and are currently in compliance with the directives. They will not be making any changes to their radio system.

Paul

Thank you for the info, Paul. When I first started to read "San Diego Police confirming...", I thought "ah, oh...". It is great that they are showing it is possible to be CLETS-compliant, without encrypting literally everything. I wish Escondido, Chula Vista and National City would realize this...

Thanks again!

This has been talked about on APCO forums, one agency installed a Sonifex Redbox RB-DS2 Stereo Delay Synchroniser
time delay on their dispatch channel so the public can keep informed.

This was what I posted.

As an ex cop I understand the real time encryption benefits, I like the idea of the delay.

As a private citizen with 2 or 3 radios / scanners going all day I like to know what is going on crime/fire wise. I got my first scanner in 1970, a whopping 8 channels with lock out switches, the best money could buy at the time. Anybody bought any xtals lately?

As a radio tech and consultant I want to know what's working and what is not.

As a town council member and representative to many small towns on our county's communications advisory board I want to know our public safety workers are safe and effectively serving the citizens who contracted with them to provide service.

As a husband to a lovely wife I want to know if she's heading into an active killing zone or into a road blocked by an accident or downed power line.

Many see encryption as a way to hide mistakes or keep the public in the dark. This debate will go one just like the mask / no mask debate over covid.

sparker1962

Premium Subscriber
This has been talked about on APCO forums, one agency installed a Sonifex Redbox RB-DS2 Stereo Delay Synchroniser
time delay on their dispatch channel so the public can keep informed.

This was what I posted.

As an ex cop I understand the real time encryption benefits, I like the idea of the delay.

As a private citizen with 2 or 3 radios / scanners going all day I like to know what is going on crime/fire wise. I got my first scanner in 1970, a whopping 8 channels with lock out switches, the best money could buy at the time. Anybody bought any xtals lately?

As a radio tech and consultant I want to know what's working and what is not.

As a town council member and representative to many small towns on our county's communications advisory board I want to know our public safety workers are safe and effectively serving the citizens who contracted with them to provide service.

As a husband to a lovely wife I want to know if she's heading into an active killing zone or into a road blocked by an accident or downed power line.

Many see encryption as a way to hide mistakes or keep the public in the dark. This debate will go one just like the mask / no mask debate over covid.

I can see the need for some channels to be encrypted while other channels should be left open for the public to hear, just as speedway_navigator stated

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Disappointed to report that El Cajon PD Dispatch 1 is currently operating 100% encrypted both sides. They were in the clear earlier tonight, and have temporarily operated full encryption in the past. Here's to hoping this is another temporary move, not a permanent one.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
El Cajon PD now 100% encrypted.

National City PD, still operating in the clear.

Coronado PD, still operating in the clear.

Harbor PD, still operating in the clear.

SDSU PD, still operating in the clear.

Sheriffs Dept, still operating in the clear.

La Mesa PD, ?????????

Paul

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
La Mesa PD, still operating in the clear...took an hour and a half to even hear radio traffic, and then I think it was just an open mic with a yawn :)

Paul

StevenS

Hi All,

Can someone confirm if I have this correct so far? Is this the three total agencies having gone encrypted as of post Jan 1? I'll just use Paul's formatting from above:

El Cajon Police: Fully encrypted as of January 1, 2020

Thanks,
Steve

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
As far as I have heard, unless someone flipped a switch overnight...

Paul

Hi All,

Can someone confirm if I have this correct so far? Is this the three total agencies having gone encrypted as of post Jan 1? I'll just use Paul's formatting from above:

El Cajon Police: Fully encrypted as of January 1, 2020

Thanks,
Steve

pro96clown

El Cajon PD now 100% encrypted.

National City PD, still operating in the clear.

Coronado PD, still operating in the clear.

Harbor PD, still operating in the clear.

SDSU PD, still operating in the clear.

Sheriffs Dept, still operating in the clear.

La Mesa PD, ?????????

Paul

I heard La Mesa in the clear

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
A lot of La Mesa PD Tac 3 encryption...I wonder if they went the route of inquiry/records on that talkgroup...not likely, but who knows.

Paul