San Diego County encryption

mikenog

SD Harbor PD Disp. 1 & 2 are both now encrypted. This is their main dispatch for vehicles/patrol, maritime, and airport. Sad.

SDBud

Apparently, HPD has no comms now with SDFD. At a serious boat fire at the Southwestern Yacht Club, the FD IC had to make verbal contact to coordinate with them. NOT good.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Hardor PD incident commander accidentally came up on 9A during the incident, so that statement doesn't really hold true. The only thing that changed with HPD was they are encrypted, they didn't remove any existing channels from the radio.

Someone just told me tonight Sheriffs will be going 100% full encryption by July 1st.

Paul

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Now is the time to write letters to your Board of Supervisors and participate in public comment. It may have an effect, or it may not. At least it will put a bug in their ear.

Mike_G_D

Hardor PD incident commander accidentally came up on 9A during the incident, so that statement doesn't really hold true. The only thing that changed with HPD was they are encrypted, they didn't remove any existing channels from the radio.

Someone just told me tonight Sheriffs will be going 100% full encryption by July 1st.

Paul
Well THAT's going to eliminate a lot of TG's from the ol' TG programming list...:-(! Major bummer but can't say I am terribly surprised.

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
Given that sheriffs seemingly haven't bothered to adjust how they handle potential PII on their inquiry channel, I'm not exactly surprised. Wouldn't be shocked if Carlsbad followed too. Oceanside (who I listen to most) are the only people I listen to regularly that seem to have actually adjusted how they handle the information. (Mostly, not saying a combination of things like Name, DOB, and DL number together over the air)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Coronado and La Mesa, who both have dedicated existing tac talkgroups to PII/Inquiry, are very good at making sure they switch channels to exchange such information. I strongly believe that the BLM issues and events of 2020, played a major role in departments descisions to FULLY encrypt all radio traffic, and use the CLETS memo as the "excuse" to do so. Chula Vista blatently said as much in their media release, when they stated that they by law had to encrypt ALL radio traffic, and referenced the CLETS memo as the legal order to do so. It's not hard to empathize with agencies who now see the public and media as more of a threat (enemy?) than an ally, and the motivations and rational to keep transparency in real time in the neighborhood policing have been completely erased by the anti-police sentiment and actions of the BLM movement. You have places like Las Vegas where they encrypted after their scanner traffic went public following the mass shooting, and that is understandable as a security and safety concern, but they made no such unsubstatiated claims as they were bound by higher powers to do so and for reasons not consistant with actual motivations.

Paul

JoeyC

I strongly believe that the BLM issues and events of 2020, played a major role in departments descisions to FULLY encrypt all radio traffic, and use the CLETS memo as the "excuse" to do so.
Absolutely! And now with the social justice warriors "war on police" with the help of members of congress and other high ranking government officials jumping on board to paint law enforcement as a systemic problem of society, you can bet that what remains of the police, law and order and other first responders is going to sink deeper into the abyss of secrecy. Ultimately, this is what you unwarily voted for.

SDBud

Absolutely! And now with the social justice warriors "war on police" with the help of members of congress and other high ranking government officials jumping on board to paint law enforcement as a systemic problem of society, you can bet that what remains of the police, law and order and other first responders is going to sink deeper into the abyss of secrecy. Ultimately, this is what you unwarily voted for.

ALL encryption does is GIVE the paranoid reinforcement that they ARE hiding something, and it prevents ALL from actually hearing all the crap they DO currently have to respond to and deal with.

JoeyC

ALL encryption does is GIVE the paranoid reinforcement that they ARE hiding something, and it prevents ALL from actually hearing all the crap they DO currently have to respond to and deal with.
That's the knee-jerk reaction to the policy whether true or not is debatable. One thing is clear however, law enforcement must operate more intelligently to mitigate the damages that the narrative I mentioned earlier has created. As difficult as it is to swallow for hard core monitoring enthusiasts as myself, I totally get it!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
They have been told to...and the same instructions for PII below confirm they are going encypted...being told begins in July, complete by December to fully encrypt. RIP

Given that sheriffs seemingly haven't bothered to adjust how they handle potential PII on their inquiry channel, I'm not exactly surprised. Wouldn't be shocked if Carlsbad followed too. Oceanside (who I listen to most) are the only people I listen to regularly that seem to have actually adjusted how they handle the information. (Mostly, not saying a combination of things like Name, DOB, and DL number together over the air)

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.13.36 AM.png

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like we have lost SDSU Police to the Big E...all units are encrypted, dispatchet in the clear probably only until they reprogram the console or something.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Carlsbad Police is awaiting budget approval for a quarter of a million dollars to encrypt their radios. That's a quarter of a million dollars in flash upgrades to existing hardware...

THE CARLSBAD CITY COUNCIL

10.AGREEMENT WITH MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS AND DAY WIRELESS SYSTEMS FOR SOFTWARE UPGRADES FOR THE ENCRYPTION OF POLICE RADIOS – Adoption of a resolution approving an agreement with Motorola Solutions and Day Wireless Systems for the software upgrades for the encryption of police radios in an amount not to exceed $252,142. (Staff contact: Cindy Anderson, Police Department)

Elpablo

Motorola Solutions (MSI) stock was a real good buy in 2017 selling in the $60's and now at $210 as of yesterday. It's like they have a license to print money when they say, you're going to need an upgrade here.

mbucky

Hello,
I have not been able to receive San Diego Lifeguard transmissions except for dispatch 1. can anyone confirm that the lifeguards have been encrypted? i have been struggling trying everything to pick them up again and fear they may have gone the dreaded encryption route

Thanks

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
Oceanside PD seems to be having issues around encryption. Just heard a motor officer on Police Tac 1 (being used for as dispatch for anything down by the beach) asking a sergeant to disable encryption on his radio because he can’t hear him when he’s off his bike. Apparently the radio linked to his helmet can do E, but his handheld can’t.