San Diego County Pandemic programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike619

Would anyone know what radio channels that would be good o put in a scanner during a pandemic such as the current COVID-19 pandemic in San Diego county?

oesterlede

May I suggest listening to the Scanner School March 17 "Coronavirus" podcast? It is an East Coast podcast, but the host discusses the types of agencies and companies that might be of interest (such as paramedics, hospitals, state emergency services), especially if the local police can not be heard on your scanner. (I refrain from using the "E" word.) 73.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
May I suggest listening to the Scanner School March 17 "Coronavirus" podcast? It is an East Coast podcast, but the host discusses the types of agencies and companies that might be of interest (such as paramedics, hospitals, state emergency services), especially if the local police can not be heard on your scanner. (I refrain from using the "E" word.) 73.
You can say encryption; the word itself is not a problem. :)

oesterlede

I travel and work between Riverside, LA, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties, so I'm not too familiar with San Diego freq's. Riverside County PD's have mostly gone dark with a countywide network. Is there still PD stuff to listen to in San Diego?

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
@oesterlede SDPD is available for listening on the city 700mhz system.

@mike619 There may not be a lot to listen to since hospitals are generally pretty self contained operations, but my best guess for pop-up resources coming to help would be on the national interop frequencies (i-tac, u-tac, 8-tac). There are the hospital inbound medic report channels on the city and county trunk systems as well, but they are generally pretty generic and bland patient reports from ambulances.

Alain

mike619 asked...

"Would anyone know what radio channels that would be good o put in a scanner during a pandemic such as the current COVID-19 pandemic in San Diego county?"

Mike, this past Sunday thru Tuesday, I heard traffic on RCS Nextgen/San Diego County Misc/San Diego County Health - Haz Mat [TG 2845]. Female dispatcher speaking to several units telling them to "be careful" and how to use their new PPG's while interacting with the general population.

mike619

Would the NIFOG channels be worth adding as well addition to the other interop channels for say if National Guard becomes active around the county or temporary hospitals have to be set up like what is going on in New York?

Alain

Would the NIFOG channels be worth adding as well addition to the other interop channels for say if National Guard becomes active around the county or temporary hospitals have to be set up like what is going on in New York?

I do have them in my favorites list, but have not heard any traffic on the NIFOG channels nor the interop channels.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
National Guard is tough. If they choose to use their readily-available lowband equipment, they can pop up anywhere between 30-80 MHz. The radios are agile, so they change frequencies often depending on the location and mission. Most NG activity in the state so far has been helping with food distribution, so I don't foresee them using radios for tactical operations. (For our sake, I hope I remain correct.)
NG may also have access to more modern Motorola/Public Safety handhelds for using the 137-149 MHz band or 380-400 band. You would have to know someone or get close enough to see what the "comms of the day" are.

mike619

How about Nursing facilities would anyone know what they use in San Diego county as far as radios like East County area etc?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Would the nursing homes be on MURS or FRS etc?

IF they have anything*, that would be a good place to start.

*Having dealt with two facilities in the last 13 months, one had nothing, and the other had a wifi-based large cordless phone system.

Paysonscanner

I would try the UHF business bands. I've received nursing homes and hotels around 460-470 using handhelds from vendors who don't inquire about customers FCC licenses, or really the lack of one. Most of my scanning has been in small towns far from urban centers where business owners skip the license effort. As a nurse I sometimes visited assisted living/memory care/skilled nursing facilities and if I could would try to observe the radios they were using. Sometimes late Hubby and I had to spent some long hours at them where our elderly family were staying. Hubby used close call and a frequency detector to pass the time. He'd later check the FCC database to see if they were licensed and came up empty more than half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.