• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

San Diego "Crackers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangitdoug

At least Mel Gibson was drunk when he opened his mouth. Perata didn't need alcohol to prove he could be just as stupid as anyone else. Don't you find it funny how no one outside of San Diego has even heard about this? Can somebody please tell the networks that Perata feels this way when he is stone cold sober?

Radio hosts, bloggers eat up 'cracker' crack

By Anne Krueger
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
August 5, 2006

Among certain radio talk show hosts, bloggers and their followers, being called a cracker was a high compliment yesterday.

They seized upon a comment made Thursday by state Senate leader Don Perata, D-Oakland, who talked about “all these crackers down in . . . San Diego, taking on the governor” over immigration issues.

Perata, who made the comment during a news conference, was referring to a forum in La Mesa with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last week where some accused him of being soft on illegal immigration. Schwarzenegger later said he was surprised at the “intensity of the prejudice” of some opponents.

“Cracker” is generally considered a pejorative term for a poor, uneducated Southern white person. Yesterday, some in San Diego County proudly adopted the title.

Barry Jantz, a La Mesa councilman, described himself as a “La Mesa cracker” in a posting yesterday on the political blog FlashReport.org.

Advertisement

“Most of us are simply graham crackers on the question of illegal immigration compared to Arnold's milque-toast and Perata's soggy saltines,” Jantz wrote.
Assemblyman Jay La Suer, R-La Mesa, weighed in with a news release denouncing Perata's comment as irresponsible and divisive and demanded a public apology.

Perata's press secretary, Alicia Trost, said more than 300 messages expressing displeasure were left at the Senate leader's office yesterday morning, and he issued an apology by the afternoon.

“(Thursday) I used a term that was, as I immediately noted, intemperate and was also unfortunate and inappropriate,” he said. “I apologize for the use of that term and reiterate my belief that the vast majority on both sides of the immigration issue are people of good will.”

Perata's initial “crackers” comment, made in response to a question about legislation to give illegal immigrants driver's licenses, was conversation fodder yesterday for radio talk show hosts Rick Roberts and Roger Hedgecock.

Roberts was introduced on his KFMB show as “San Diego's No. 1 cracker on the radio.” Hedgecock, who called Perata a “wacko leftist Democrat,” said the cracker comment was demeaning, stupid and racist.

“Don Perata, much of who you actually are has been revealed here,” the KOGO host said.

La Mesa Mayor Art Madrid, who attended Schwarzenegger's town-hall-style meeting there, said Perata's comment was counterproductive to the immigration debate.

“I learned a long time ago that calling names doesn't serve a purpose,” he said. “I have a thesaurus and I use that when I want to describe people in a positive fashion.”

Although Perata's comment was a hot topic in some parts of town and was the most e-mailed item yesterday on SignOnSanDiego.com, The San Diego Union-Tribune's Web site, others had little interest. About a dozen people interviewed in downtown La Mesa and at Grossmont Center said they weren't aware of the controversy.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Idiots in california have no idea what a cracker is. Has nothing to do with education nor financial standing. A "Cracker" is a southern conservative that believes in God and country, college football and NASCAR. I lived in Florida for 50 years, and the only thing that was better to be called than "A Florida Cracker" was HeCoon.

cristisphoto

n4voxgill said:
Idiots in california have no idea what a cracker is. Has nothing to do with education nor financial standing. A "Cracker" is a southern conservative that believes in God and country, college football and NASCAR. I lived in Florida for 50 years, and the only thing that was better to be called than "A Florida Cracker" was HeCoon.
As a person whom for the moment reside in CA I second that..
Californian are Dumb they moan and whine a
YEt they aint seen the real deal..
Silly Californians
Get a clue
Regards
Crista

YEp its confirmed CAis NUTHIN but Fruits and NUUUTS lol

BoxAlarm187

Interesting observation, Gill. I know that here in my area of Virginia (the capital of the Confederacy!), "cracker" would be viewed as a derogatory term, even by someone with the same beliefs as you listed.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from White cracker)
Jump to: navigation, search
Cracker (sometimes "white cracker") was originally a pejorative term for a white person, mainly used in the Southern United States, and still is in many instances. It has also, however, increasingly been used as a proud (or self-deprecating) term by some Southern whites—or American whites in general—in reference to themselves

For many years, the intelligent people in Florida have been proud to be called a "Cracker". The term honors the brave souls who moved into Florida during the 1700 and 1800s. There is even a fine line of horses called florida cracker.

So when we hear some ignorant person misuse the name, we just smile, stand a little taller and continue our journey. I really have to laugh at the California politician. California is in a terrible financial condition, while Florida will end he year with a 6 billion dollar budget surplus. I posted in the Florida forumn, that Orlando is ending the year with a big surplus and will use it to hire 75 additonal officers and 13 radio operators for the police department, and will build 3 additonal fire stations and hire 45 firefighters to staff them. Crackers know how to handle finances.

SCPD

It's great to see the First Amendment to the Constitution is alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.