San Diego Fire Rescue 700MHz transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBud

I have just confirmed that. AND latest info is that total system changeover (PD and FD) is now set for sometime in August.

Turns out, some radios I have that I THOUGHT did 700 don't, so I'll be kind of screwed.

ODDLY enough, FD was BACK to ONLY the 800 system tonight for response traffic.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
They should put the trash trucks on the old 800 system and let them burn through that until complete EOL.

Paul

SDBud

Tonight, FD was having some radio issues (800 on my end), and asked the Dispatcher if it was being fixed.
She SAID "the System Controllers are working on it", and sounded a bit miffed. :)

disp10

Premium Subscriber
ODDLY enough, FD was BACK to ONLY the 800 system tonight for response traffic.

I'm not sure how that is possible. The FD and EMS radios have all been reprogrammed with a fleetmap that does not contain any legacy 800 system talkgroups. The system isn't even programmed in the radios. And the Centracom consoles have also been switched over to the new system. There are patches in place between the 700 and 800 as an interim measure for those oddball missed radios but having the entire FD switch to the old system isn't a possibility.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Bud is having scanners programming issues. For those with XT scanners, it is extremely common for those to not lock 771.48125Mhz control channel due to 700MHz 4G LTE cell phone interference. For instance, an XT cannot lock the CC in the area surounding my TV station, nor can it reliably lock where the stringers stage. (location redacted due to safety concerns)

Paul

SDBud

Bud is having scanners programming issues.

NO issues here, except for my oldest 996 locking up. Need to spend the bucks to get Uniden to fix it (MAYBE get another 996P2 out of the deal).

Otherwise, I hear everything I need and want, except when I make a tiny mistake when updating things, and I figure THAT out quicker than most.

SDBud

I'm not sure how that is possible. The FD and EMS radios have all been reprogrammed with a fleetmap that does not contain any legacy 800 system talkgroups. The system isn't even programmed in the radios. And the Centracom consoles have also been switched over to the new system. There are patches in place between the 700 and 800 as an interim measure for those oddball missed radios but having the entire FD switch to the old system isn't a possibility.

For at LEAST a day, there was NO traffic from SDFD on the 700 system. It's back now, but wasn't there that day (Thurs. ,or whatever). I HAVE the 700 system in 3 different radios. ALL were silent.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Back in about March, I switched the San Diego and Poway Fire feed over to the 700 MHz system. Other than some occasional issues with interference from a near by T-mobile site and Mt Woodson mixing causing distortion of a P25 received signal -- receiving the system pretty well. I do find myself using the feed to listen to big events; even with a scanner in my hand, because the feed receives and records every transmission, the scanner will miss something due to the scanner stopping on a different channel or the handheld scanner's receiver gets wiped out by a near by cell site.

SDBuds, you may want to have broadcastify available or running in the back ground.

SDBud

Back in about March, I switched the San Diego and Poway Fire feed over to the 700 MHz system. Other than some occasional issues with interference from a near by T-mobile site and Mt Woodson mixing causing distortion of a P25 received signal -- receiving the system pretty well. I do find myself using the feed to listen to big events; even with a scanner in my hand, because the feed receives and records every transmission, the scanner will miss something due to the scanner stopping on a different channel or the handheld scanner's receiver gets wiped out by a near by cell site.

SDBuds, you may want to have broadcastify available or running in the back ground.

The one thing I CAN DO is press the hold button (as all my radios HAVE one) when there is something worth holding on. And I hear more than most. I have several people who have disputed my claims of what I heard until THEY went back and 'checked the tape'.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Broadcastify archives the audio from the feed. And, since the feed records every channel that I have told it to record, that information is in the recordings that Broadcastify makes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.