San Diego FreeSCAN and programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaf

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Just dropping in over here on the Cali boards to see if someone could help me out. My dad lives in San Diego (right near the Zoo) and he just bought a BCD396T. I am programming for him (I am in NYC) and will be sending it to him shortly. Last year when I visited SD I inherited this FreeSCAN file from one of you guys and I have modified it for my dad's 396T (i own an XT).

Wondering if someone who is more familiar with SD can take a look at this (see attached) and make any suggestions to make it better. I ran into an issue with not being able to have all the TGID's in the RCS systems because of the 200 limit on the 396T. And obviously, I can't test it because I am in NYC.

Or, if you have a BETTER setup that you could send our way, something that makes more sense or is better layed out. I want my dad to have the best scanning experience he can. He is not new to scanners, but is new to Dynamic Memory. My goal is to send the current config off to him
tomorrow but hoping I can work out any issues by tapping in to your expertise about the area!! Thanks so much..!!

EDIT: the attachment has a .pdf extension on it, for some reason it would not upload with the .996 extension. So you will need to just remove the .pdf if you download it....

Leaf

Attachments

• BCD396XTDad2.996.pdf
    586.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

leaf

Premium Subscriber
whoops, didnt know there was one.. If any mod see's this, can you move to SD forum? Thanks!

JoeyC

Looks like bits and pieces of my file that someone chopped up and rearranged adding back all those useless except for isolated location fill-in sites under the same QuickKeys with the addition of some out-of-the-area stuff.

Use this one. (remove the .pdf from the file)

(removed file for editing will post shortly)

Last edited:

leaf

Premium Subscriber
Joey - it is your system man… you helped me out last year… I just couldn't remember who had given it to me… but now that I see your avatar.. :)

Ok I will take a look now..

and yeah - I'm not sure what to do about the 200 MAX on TGID's.. that threw me.. what to leave in, what to take out, etc. I tried to split up the systems, not sure how great of an idea that is..

leaf

Last edited:

JoeyC

There have been changes (slight) since then, I'm gonna attempt to edit some changes. Check back in a bit.

leaf

Premium Subscriber
Joey - thanks so much, this looks great.

One question though because I know my dad will ask.. What is the difference between the 4 Fire systems in regards to how they are used (operations, etc)

MOT2 SD Fire
MOT2 RCS Fire
MOT2 RCS Cal Fire
Conventional CAL FIRE VHF

And again, for you to take this which you have obviously spent many hours on and give it to us, thank you. I feel much more confident now in the way that his scanner will act.

If you ever make it out to NYC I will be glad to hand over my systems which I have worked very hard on too :)

P.S. Can you attach the original file that was not edited down for the T? I own a 396XT, and I would like to replace my current SD stuff with yours.. it's much better organized.

thanks, leaf

mke65

Another option might be to have your dad take it over to HRO in SD and kindly ask if they would program it for you. The gentleman there has a very thorough set up and will probably do it for free or send it via email for free.

leaf

Premium Subscriber
OK, I will let him know about that option mke, if he needs further assistance... I'm sure he will eventually want someone to chat with about it all.. I have already pointed him to these forums as well

JoeyC

Joey - thanks so much, this looks great.

One question though because I know my dad will ask.. What is the difference between the 4 Fire systems in regards to how they are used (operations, etc)

MOT2 SD Fire
MOT2 RCS Fire
MOT2 RCS Cal Fire
Conventional CAL FIRE VHF

And again, for you to take this which you have obviously spent many hours on and give it to us, thank you. I feel much more confident now in the way that his scanner will act.

If you ever make it out to NYC I will be glad to hand over my systems which I have worked very hard on too :)

P.S. Can you attach the original file that was not edited down for the T? I own a 396XT, and I would like to replace my current SD stuff with yours.. it's much better organized.

thanks, leaf

The stuff edited out was just RadioIDs which really is just fluff - not necessary.

The differences in the 4 fire systems are

SD Fire - City fire ops
RCS Fire - the rest of the county handled by Northcomm/Heartland and CalFire.

I have my CalFire RCS stuff separated from the other RCS fire simply for separation purposes and quickkeys. It could actually be part of the RCS stuff since it is on the RCS but I like to separate things out for greater flexibility. (Same goes for the RCS Law and SDSO stuff, its only separated because I want greater control to turn off/on certain depts)

The conventional CalFire stuff is mostly used in the rural and further out areas.

Notice all the QKs in the 70s, these are most likely not needed by your dad because they are mostly fill-in sites in the far stretches of the county. I'd recommend leaving them off or deleting them altogether.

leaf

Premium Subscriber
Joey,

Those radio ID's would be helpful to have in my XT, if it isnt too much of a pain to upload the original...

Or I am sure I can find those ID's on the RR database, but not sure how to import just those...

I Locked out all the site's with QK's in the 70's and will show him how to unlock them if he ever travels out of the area. I see that you have seperated all the RCS stuff, but I think it's better that way also.

thanks again joey...

JoeyC

I can almost guarantee he will never ever need those sites I put in the 70s. Probably best to delete them altogether. The file you had has those RadioIDs. It is a very incomplete list as it is, not worth cluttering the file with really.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Radio ID question

Joey,

Those radio ID's would be helpful to have in my XT, if it isnt too much of a pain to upload the original...

Or I am sure I can find those ID's on the RR database, but not sure how to import just those...

I have a 396XT and am intrigued - are you referring to individual Unit IDs here? If so, I'd like to learn more. I can view the radio ID of whomever is talking but don't know of any way to store or cross-reference these.

Status
Not open for further replies.