San Diego / Imperial Co Regional Communications System Update Thread

sparker1962

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for Escondido, but no plans for full encryption as a RCS policy.
I don't know if you guys/girls have noticed this...not good at all. I have noticed that Sheriff and Escondido PD have been using alot of encrypted lately...more than I have seen in a long time....hope it aint going full encryption

I think Escondido Police Inquiry (2303) uses encryption when transmitting station-to-officer but not officer-to-station.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
"Failsoft" is a fall back mode where the site will go into open repeat mode when the site no longer sees the System controller or the Cell (Simulcast) controller. We had the old North Cell come back to life in Failsoft a couple of days ago. The shop is checking the South now.

Thanks, Mike.
Darn old 1998 technology just doesn't want to give up!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Any possibility we might get a list of the failsoft fallback list? I've got a bank full of the frequencies for everything as conventional, but having names for them in the event of failsoft could be useful.

Paul

mike619

No problem I had plugged in the control channels on one of my conventional radio's and I wanted to see what was going on with the old system and the failsoft mode was going on and I figured they were working on it.

JoeyC

I thought that only confirmed IN USE talkgroups were going to be added to the NextGen database as they migrated yet the Del Mar Fire Dispatch, CMD and TAC talkgroups that haven't been used in (ever?) are in there. Can anyone confirm if they actually use any of them or is this just a dump from the old RCS database converted?

jimbrogers

Premium Subscriber
? I live east of Ramona, I hear a lot of traffic but only on East and West sites.
Anyone out east advise if South, North and Northeast working and what are they hearing on those.
I used to hear NE and South on old RCS.
Thank you MtnBiker2005 for the updated pdf. Good stuff.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I thought that only confirmed IN USE talkgroups were going to be added to the NextGen database as they migrated yet the Del Mar Fire Dispatch, CMD and TAC talkgroups that haven't been used in (ever?) are in there. Can anyone confirm if they actually use any of them or is this just a dump from the old RCS database converted?

We were missing rural San Diego county and virtually no one was submitting any Imperial county, so I made the decision to cutover the legacy RCS talkgroups. From what I've seen and heard the virtual switch was thrown between the Smartzone system and the P25 system and no talkgroups were changed (the Zone controller was already a "P25 system core" using P25 talkgroups for quite some time, and SmartX was used to convert back to the old multiply by 16 Smartzone talkgroup format). However the legacy Smartzone RCS database was pretty out of date and as a result some out of date talkgroups definitely made it into the new system. Please kindly submit a correction, point it out here or shoot me an email or PM if you find deprecated talkgroups and I'll be happy to delete them back out.

bryanhendrix

persistent
RCS NextGen South Cell - Talkgroups February Hits Count - Patched List - Denied Lists.
https://www.scandiego.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1861
Greetings and Salutations .... hope all is well, healthy, and good in the land of monitoring the RCS of San Diego - Imperial County.

My first observation ... the reference or referral to go over to scan diego dot com. I am looking for the latest and greatest information on control channel frequencies and talk groups ... only to find out that a person has created a website that competes with, or, has a kin like brother/sister relationship with radio reference dot com.

If I, or some other adult, has the desire to offer new and discovered talk group id -- do we offer the info to radio reference dot com, or, scan diego dot com. Apparently, scan diego dot com is a little more picky about allowing a person to post a comment, an opinion, or discovered talk group id information.

With this work from home, shelter in place going on due to the virus - I would guess/think/assume/believe that those persons that have the knowledge of what frequencies function, what talk groups are working, would be more sharing. Perhaps the radio system tech or the radio programming tech has been instructed to let little pieces of information go out and be published.

If, indeed, the adults hired to program radios and talk groups are also members of radio reference - please be kind enough to clearly state your are employed as such, but, have been directed or told by the 'boss' or supervisor to not release all information.

I would hate to think it boils down to a competition of who can find, view, and then pass on - information made available on the FCC website.

Yes, look for and find a communications tower and do a search.

Yes, look for and find what frequencies are assigned to a radio call sign.

keep the information to yourself, or, release it to radio reference or scan diego dot com??

slightly frustrating ...

and

thank you

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Greetings and Salutations .... hope all is well, healthy, and good in the land of monitoring the RCS of San Diego - Imperial County.

My first observation ... the reference or referral to go over to scan diego dot com. I am looking for the latest and greatest information on control channel frequencies and talk groups ... only to find out that a person has created a website that competes with, or, has a kin like brother/sister relationship with radio reference dot com.

If I, or some other adult, has the desire to offer new and discovered talk group id -- do we offer the info to radio reference dot com, or, scan diego dot com. Apparently, scan diego dot com is a little more picky about allowing a person to post a comment, an opinion, or discovered talk group id information.

With this work from home, shelter in place going on due to the virus - I would guess/think/assume/believe that those persons that have the knowledge of what frequencies function, what talk groups are working, would be more sharing. Perhaps the radio system tech or the radio programming tech has been instructed to let little pieces of information go out and be published.

If, indeed, the adults hired to program radios and talk groups are also members of radio reference - please be kind enough to clearly state your are employed as such, but, have been directed or told by the 'boss' or supervisor to not release all information.

I would hate to think it boils down to a competition of who can find, view, and then pass on - information made available on the FCC website.

Yes, look for and find a communications tower and do a search.

Yes, look for and find what frequencies are assigned to a radio call sign.

keep the information to yourself, or, release it to radio reference or scan diego dot com??

slightly frustrating ...

and

thank you

Radioreference is where you come to chat and where database data is stored and makes its way to scanner programming direct frok manufaturers. Think of RR as a popular bar or sports club. Think of Scandiego as one of those members only clubs you need a secret handshake to get in, and they have a special back room full of antique memorabilia :)

Paul

bryanhendrix

persistent
I think Escondido Police Inquiry (2303) uses encryption when transmitting station-to-officer but not officer-to-station.
It could be due to my location, my inability to completely receive north simulcast, and, west simulcast .... that, I am not receiving UCSD Medical Center talk group. What little bit of UCSD I do receive, "Facilities" on talk group 'a53' or 'a53h' - all sounds encrypted. The BCD 436 also displays 'ENC' on the display if and when my receiver/scanner stops on that talk group.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It could be due to my location, my inability to completely receive north simulcast, and, west simulcast .... that, I am not receiving UCSD Medical Center talk group. What little bit of UCSD I do receive, "Facilities" on talk group 'a53' or 'a53h' - all sounds encrypted. The BCD 436 also displays 'ENC' on the display if and when my receiver/scanner stops on that talk group.

What area are you located in? North is only useful north of the 78, west handles everything south of their and down into metro SD somewhat.

And UCSD Medical Center is on the south site, or are you trying to listen to the campus or Thorton? Are you on the stock antenna indoors or something?

Paul

bryanhendrix

persistent
checking on the day and dates of items/words being 'posted' - it seems to me the idea of a system update, a talk group update, a frequency update ... should occur on this radio reference page. This 'radio reference' page being: san diego imperial co regional communication system update thread. As for why it's called a thread has me wanting to vomit. It's a forum - a web page set up to offer information discovered or found. Information that apparently needs to be vetted before it becomes written in stone and added to the "official" list of frequencies/talk groups/ sytem id's/ channel label or titles and so on.

my first issue or item: does the database admin decide on the label or title of the channel. A member of the admin team here on radio reference gets to wake up and call a particular talk group or channel : dispatch 1 or dispatch 2 ; or - tactical 1 or tactical 2?

as for my nit picking and finding something odd ...

I feel I should point out Imperial County Fire Department has how many channels or talk groups labeled or titled as dispatch.

Does a member of the admin team need a friend, family member, or 'I know a guy' that can provide information directly from the radio mounted in the fire vehicle or the fire fighter portable radio?

Or, does one listen like I have for the fire employee to call another and use the correct label or title for the 'channel' or talk group id?

The talk group ID that is referred to ICFD employees as " East Tac One" is talk group ID 2569. DEC 2569 / Hex A09

Next :

The talk group or ID that is new, beingnot on the radio reference page for San Diego Imperial Nex Gen