San Diego / Imperial Co Regional Communications System Update Thread

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Is "at cutover" caveat language...?

Well, it is not meant to be 'caveat' language. It is a matter of workload.

We have been reprogramming the nearly 24K user radios for Rebanding (the First Rebanding Touch). There have been some reconfiguration of fleet maps to catch up on desired changes as a part of this first touch (changes in talkgroup and user IDs, talkgroup names, etc.). We're going to need to touch the radios again to add the P25 configuration to those radios, for which we will not be making any changes (with the exception of a hand full of talkgroups).

The actual retuning of the infrastructure will be taking place over the next couple years, primarily after Mexico clears it's users occupying the spectrum we're supposed to move to. You may note that we will also be installing the new network equipment during the later part of this time frame. At this point I can't project the timing of how that will integrate into the rebanding effort.

After the rebanding of the fixed infrastructure has been completed, then we will go back and do the Second Rebanding programming touch of all of the user radios to remove the obsolete frequency information. (We envision that will start in 2019, after cutover.) That would be the earliest that we envision any agencies making additional changes to fleet maps.

So, the only caveat is, that I can't say today at the end of 2016 what will happen at the end of 2018.

[I feel like the guy on the Ed Sullivan Show with all of the spinning plates on stage, working to keep all of them spinning on the end of their poles without any hitting the floor. :D]

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Are there any new updates on the TAN and ORANGE possibly going to the RCS? Would be nice to not have to lug around an extra radio just for CHP (HT1250).

Any update Don? Hearing rumors regarding resurrecting the Gold.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
CHP is a partner in the NextGen system, so I don't think El Cajon is going anywhere soon. Discussions about Oceanside and San Diego continue.

Scanguysd

CHP is a partner in the NextGen system, so I don't think El Cajon is going anywhere soon. Discussions about Oceanside and San Diego continue.

Hum...

Discussion about Oceanside and San Diego joining the RCS or them restructuring?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The rumors I was getting were El Cajon going back to the Gold, bailing out of the RCS.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have never heard them patch the Orange to El Cajon RCS, typically they will patch to El Cajon Tac 1 or 2...wonder what they are up to...

Paul

E5911

Premium Subscriber
All:
As someone who when thru a trunking migration, and a P25 migration, oh yeah a narrow banding migration I can say the guys at RCS and partner cities have their hands full. Cut 'em some slack, this project is going to be a bear and if they are lucky, there will be no major hiccups. Between the guys who don't show for appointments, the last minute agency changes and the ones you have to track down, Add to that with the hundreds of man-hours building the codeplugs. Moto will do the work but the local shops will a little greyer by the time its over. Just sayn

All:
Add to that with the hundreds of man-hours building the codeplugs.

I remember thinking how much faster it was hitting F8 twice when cloning Radius portables than soldering xtals, now it might be quicker soldering again.
Have not done a trunked radio in a while but have spent hours doing Trbo code plugs for 800+ users who each get an unique ID, what a pain.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am hearing we may have some sites beginning to be rebanded during the next month. If I am not mistaken, the 866-868 frequencies reband 15MHz down, and the other ones like the north site and city of San Diego reband to "unknown". Hopefully Don will help guide us as the sites switch...I've got a fleet of a dozen Unidens that will go silent when the RB takes place....ugh.

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
North East Cell rebanded. I have reprogrammed my BCD 436 HP and BCD325P2 using the information in the Radio Reference page for this cell. I changed it from Splinter to Mot 800MHz Standard Type II. Not sure if this will be the solution for all other sites being rebanded in the future.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing we may have some sites beginning to be rebanded during the next month. If I am not mistaken, the 866-868 frequencies reband 15MHz down, and the other ones like the north site and city of San Diego reband to "unknown". Hopefully Don will help guide us as the sites switch...I've got a fleet of a dozen Unidens that will go silent when the RB takes place....ugh.

Paul

The sites will retune as Sprint and the Transition Administrator grant us clearance to retune. There is atill a lot of frequency clearing to be done in Mexico, and users on this side of the border who must clear before we can retune a site.

Watch the database.

Don

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber