San Diego PD, 211 Echo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangitdoug

SDPD uses the code 211 Echo. All responding units are instructed to switch to a specific channel (Such as City Tac-1). Dispatchers describe the incident as hot or cold. All units responding have some type of equipment on board to monitor the incident. I believe the equipment is similar to Lojack.

Any ideas or info as to what this is?

Doug K

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I think it's called RAT for Robbery Aided Tracking, or something similar. There's a beacon in a fake wad of cash given to the robbers. LE then hunts them down just like Lojack. From what I recall there are three antennas instead of the four like Lojack; so you can distinguish them when looking at a cruiser.

-Wayne

RolnCode3

wayne_h said:
I think it's called RAT for Robbery Aided Tracking, or something similar. There's a beacon in a fake wad of cash given to the robbers. LE then hunts them down just like Lojack. From what I recall there are three antennas instead of the four like Lojack; so you can distinguish them when looking at a cruiser.

-Wayne
"Robbery Apprehension Team" is another common term. And, commonly, it's a triangular three antenna setup. Lojack is 4 antennas in a square.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I went searching on the net and located zilch. All I can recall is an article from the 90's in Monitoring Times about them.

-Wayne

brandon

Database Admin
Great info. Yeah ScanDiego is my favorite scanning forum in addition to RR :)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I was bored and going through old post, thought I would throw this in.

The three antenna thing is called PRONET. It is a transmitter a bank teller can throw in with the cash during a bank robbery. When they first tested this system out in San Diego in the mid 90's, they ran training at night, with a car driving around and the cops trying to track it. I was bored one night, like tonight, so I went "hunting" for the signal. About 5 minutes into my search, I was passed by a car with personalized CA plates that read PRONET.......I assumed it was the target vehicle.

I wonder if they still or ever use this system?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.