San Diego PD Dispatch Trunk Noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axiom84

Is anyone else hearing the “crackling” noise that accompanies San Diego 800MHz Trunk PD voice dispatch, only on certain Trunk Channels For Example East Dispatch 1520? Other trunk channels come in perfectly clear, yet this noise is loud enough to really be annoying. Other Trunk and conventional listening is fine for me….. Why only on certain channels? I’ve attached a sample MP3 of as an example….. Any suggestions to eliminate this would be appreciated if its just me!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0020 11-56 City of SD 1456 East Disp 1.zip
    49.7 KB · Views: 36

brandon

Database Admin
You can fix this by using an 800 MHz yagi and pointing right at the site.
I have the exact same problem from my remote in the east end of El Cajon.

axiom84

Signal Overload

Hi Brandon..

Thanks so much for your response.... Are you suggesting it's just signal overload? Either my height at 750 feet with no opstacles or my proximity to the transmitter (which I have not been able to locate)... You mention using a Yagi... do you know where the tower is? Are there seperate towers for each division?

I realized the other day that I get great signal up here when I disconnected my RS Mid Loaded Antenna which is indoors and fed by 7 feet of RG6 Quad and still was getting good reception, albeit a bit lower in strength when I disconnected the coax from the antenna itself.

Either the tower is closer than I realize or it's something strange as I'm line of sight to MCAS Miramar and don't get that hash noise... Though MCAS is not trunked.....

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Hi Brandon..

Thanks so much for your response.... Are you suggesting it's just signal overload? Either my height at 750 feet with no opstacles or my proximity to the transmitter (which I have not been able to locate)... You mention using a Yagi... do you know where the tower is? Are there seperate towers for each division?

I realized the other day that I get great signal up here when I disconnected my RS Mid Loaded Antenna which is indoors and fed by 7 feet of RG6 Quad and still was getting good reception, albeit a bit lower in strength when I disconnected the coax from the antenna itself.

Either the tower is closer than I realize or it's something strange as I'm line of sight to MCAS Miramar and don't get that hash noise... Though MCAS is not trunked.....

Crackling audio occasionally happens on analog simulcast systems. It is caused by the signals from different transmitters in the simulcast being slightly out of phase when the signals arrive at your antenna. The City 800 MHz system transmits from 7 locations around the city. If you are line of sight to MCAS Miramar, then you are probably receiving signals from the west, north, east, and southwest. Try a directional antenna aimed in one of those directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.