San Diego Police Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSDScanner

I've been using my PRO-106 for a year now scanning San Diego RCS system talkgroups just fine. I scan north county law enforcement and fire. However, I'm having an issue with programming in San Diego (city) Police Department. This is what I've done so far:
  • Went to this page: San Diego, City of (Public Safety) Trunking System, San Diego, California - Scanner Frequencies
  • Programmed in 860.05000, 860.02500, 859.05000, and 859.02500 (control channels) in that order
  • Selected Motorola 800/900 Type II SmartZone as the system type
  • Programmed in talkgroups 208, 272, and 2256 which are North Dispatch 1 and 2 and Mid-city dispatch 1 respectively.
  • Double-checked and yes I was selecting the correct systems when I programmed in the talk groups.

However, I hear nothing. The signal strength has full bars, but I never receive any transmissions. Nothing ever even comes on the screen which tells me that it's more than an audio problem. I've also tried turning Splinter and Multi-site on and off because I know RCS is a splinter system, still nothing. By the way, yes I was down in the city when I was trying this, I was not out of range. Can someone help? Thanks.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Try this:

Program -> NEW -> TGRP

> Talkgroup <
Scan List: (choose desired one with left right arrows and SEL key)
TSYS: NEW (use left/right arrows) -> SEL

>Trunked System<
Type: MOT 800/900
Tag: San Diego City TRS
Frequencies: SEL -> SEL button (enter in those four control channel frequencies)

scroll past expert below:

Multi-Site: Off (site 1 is simulcast for the whole city, site 2 is fill-in for a very small geographic area)
T Tables: Splintr
Fleet Map: Type II

Save.... Returns you to previous screen:

> Talkgroup <
Scan Lists: (Your selected scan list)
TSYS: San Diego City TRS (the one you just made)
ID: Wildcard
Type: Group
Tag: ID: Wildcard
L/Out: Off
Priority: Off
etc...

Save... Enter Manual mode with MAN... Navigate to the scan list and entry for your new Wildcard talkgroup.

Press TSYS (F2 soft key).
San Diego City TRS screen should appear.
Press Analyze (F3 soft key).
Use the arrow keys to navigate to 859.050000 - the current control channel.

You should hear control channel audio, see signal strength bars next to S on the top of the screen and the decode percentage, system ID, site number and connect tone on the bottom.

If the above is successful press SCAN and select the scan list you put the Wildcard talkgroup in. If the system scans successfully you can then program your desired SDPD talkgroups and lock out the wildcard talkgroup.

GRE actually did a really good job with the PSR-500/Pro-106. Compared to a lot of scanners it's really intuitive to program without software!

Good luck. :)

NewSDScanner

Dude, as soon as I got to the wildcard step on MAN, I started hearing traffic. What's funny, is some of it was from channels I already programmed in so maybe when I set it to SPLINTR earlier, I didn't save it or something because I think that's what it was. I'm actually up in north county now so reception isn't so good but I can still pick stuff up, thanks a lot! Definitely much more activity than on RCS hahaha. Just heard someone talking about Crips on YouTube and a naked woman with a backpack on already. Now I can't wait til I drive down there again!

monitor142

Probably what happened. Rule of thumb is any freq 851.025-865.975MHz that ends in .025, .050, .075, .100, etc. is a splinter system primarily in the border region in order to more efficiently use available radio spectrum.

-M142

sarahnzack

please help!

thanks for the info already given but can you please help me? I need to figure out how to put in the talk group codes for all of the police substations and lock out the wildcard but I dont know how to do that. Please help!!! thanks

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
You might have better luck posting this in the Radio Shack Scanners Forum (or whatever the mfg of your radio is). If mods yell at you for cross posting, just blame me!

Status
Not open for further replies.