San Diego Trolley SDTI 1 Blue -- seems they changed the tone, can anyone confirm?

TeeJayZee

Premium Subscriber
I'm located about 3 miles south from the Coronado Bridge (San Diego).

I've noticed that in the past couple of days the following channel's audio has become either inaudible or choppy.

San Diego Trolley​

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
160.665WRY938RM131.8 PLSDTI 1 BlueCh 1 Rail Operations - Blue LineFMTransportation

RRDB reference: Subcategory: Railroad/San Diego Trolley (San Diego County)

So I made a scan for the tone and it seems to always land on the following tone: C 100.0 -- and the audio sounds extremely better or at the very least audible.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance.

FYI: I used the following scanners (and radio) to help me search and confirm the tone: Uniden BCD325P2, Uniden SDS100, and a Radioddity GM-30.

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the note. I monitored Blue and confirmed as well that they’re on 100.0 PL. Database has been updated.

For future reference if you’ve confirmed with multiple scanners feel free to make a submission directly, since it will be seen sooner than on the forums.

Kind regards!

TeeJayZee

Premium Subscriber
All should be listed as FMN, as that is a FCC requirement.
Are you referring to this mandate: Narrowbanding Overview

If yes, would this apply to all railroad frequencies states and nationwide? Since they are mostly within the 150-174 MHz frequency bands.

As for me, now monitoring the San Diego Trolley frequencies with the applied FMN setting changes on my scanners, to me they sound a bit more clear and stronger.

tvengr

Well Known Member
As for me, now monitoring the San Diego Trolley frequencies with the applied FMN setting changes on my scanners, to me they sound a bit more clear and stronger.
When set to NFM (FMN), the scanner reduces the bandwidth and increases the audio gain to make up for the decreased deviation of the narrowband signal.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to this mandate: Narrowbanding Overview
Yes. The mandate was effective 10 years ago (2013).

If yes, would this apply to all railroad frequencies states and nationwide? Since they are mostly within the 150-174 MHz frequency bands.

Yes.

As it should.