San diego VHF Fire Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
During a wildland event are the County XSD command and tacs in use at all, or are they just a fallback in the event of a RCS failure?

celbaseman

Feed Provider
They are used for most wildfires. Heartland has used them more often than SDFR. SDFR, when they dispatch, will have the XSD channels listed, but seldom uses them except when the fire gets to be a large incident. The recent Santee brush fire was all on XSD channels. SD County fire used to use them more often than they do now. Most of the back area fires tend to be on state coverage areas or on US forest land, which will be handled on their channels.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
VHF is the go to frequencies for wild fires. Strike teams from out of the area may not and probably don't have SD trunk radio access. Add in they may use 6 to 10 or more frequencies for the various fire divisions, and like the two OC fires a few weeks ago, there wasn't enough to go around so it's use state and federal inter-agency channels. Also VHF is better for use in canyons & rugged terrain.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll add that many of the recent east county wildland fires have been on Cal Fire MVU 1 and MVU 2. If a wildland fire incident is in Heartland or Cal Fire/San Diego County Fire Authority area it will likely be on MVU 1/2 or XSD Commands. Fire originating on federal land (i.e. Cleveland National Forest) will be on USFS frequencies (Valley Fire being a recent example). On the other hand SDFD will run everything on the trunked system including wildland fires. Not entirely sure what the SDFD Metro Fire contract agencies in zone 6 do for wildlands (Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, National City, Coronado etc) but I believe they stay on their trunked talkgroups as well.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
good info thanks

Just to add, there was a small vegetation fire in Santee last night. Heartland assigned XSD Command 2 and XSD Tac 1. All responding units responded on XSD Command 2, and there was zero traffic related to the incident on RCS. So I think programming the XSD Commands and Tacs is a must to not miss wildland incidents.

SDBud

Just to add, there was a small vegetation fire in Santee last night. Heartland assigned XSD Command 2 and XSD Tac 1. All responding units responded on XSD Command 2, and there was zero traffic related to the incident on RCS. So I think programming the XSD Commands and Tacs is a must to not miss wildland incidents.

San Diego always gives an XSD cmd and tac in addition to their regular trunked channels, but they almost never use them (for small incidents), as far as I've heard.

beachtown

Hi Celbaseman. The San Diego County Wildland Fire Operations VHF feed volume seems very very low. I tried maximum volume on two devices and can barely hear it. Thanks for the great feed!

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Hi Celbaseman. The San Diego County Wildland Fire Operations VHF feed volume seems very very low. I tried maximum volume on two devices and can barely hear it. Thanks for the great feed!
Entirely possible. I will check it out tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

mike619

Metro CVFD operates wildland fires the majority of the time on 6L and 6M on the RCS but if they have mutual aid from other departments they will go on XSD channels like Air to Ground etc.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
As for Heartland, if the call is for a wildland/veg fire, automatically will go to XSD channels. Santee had a couple yesterday and were on XSD channels plus wildland training has been on XSD channels with Mirimar communications the past few days.

Plus, I turned up the volume on the SD County Wildland Fire Operations VHF radio.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Heartland likes 2L 2M for non XSD brush fires.

Also, 10K (RCS) is the "go-to" trunked talkgroup for when a Calfire unit can't get out on their assigned VHF repeater, which happens about 20% of the time.

Paul

firemanjohn

Premium Subscriber
Just for the record -- all NorthComm dispatched veg fires will be on VHF only as of a week or two ago.

firemanjohn

Premium Subscriber
As for Heartland, if the call is for a wildland/veg fire, automatically will go to XSD channels. Santee had a couple yesterday and were on XSD channels plus wildland training has been on XSD channels with Mirimar communications the past few days.

Plus, I turned up the volume on the SD County Wildland Fire Operations VHF radio.
Pardon the derail, but where in Poway is your antenna? Seems to have pretty decent coverage. I'm also in Poway, but down in a hole.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
@firemanjohn, I am not far from the bowling alley area. Kind of in a hole too, but a little bit up on the hill. The radio is connected to a 2m 440 antenna on the roof so pretty good coverage as far as receiving the VHF repeaters.

firemanjohn

Premium Subscriber
@firemanjohn, I am not far from the bowling alley area. Kind of in a hole too, but a little bit up on the hill. The radio is connected to a 2m 440 antenna on the roof so pretty good coverage as far as receiving the VHF repeaters.
Got it. Well, it sounds better than I can usually hear from the Twin Peaks/Community area. Kent Hill blocks me one way and the ridge along Palisades the other.

Need to get a roof mount up. Only lived here 10 years. <eyeroll>

Status
Not open for further replies.