San Francisco FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlx21

Hey everyone. I am completely new to this and was wondering is there any portable radio scanners that will allow me to listen to the San Francisco Fire Department? Preferably less than $100. I had a post before and one user said its on a trunking system. I'd like to hear the dispatch calls also the communications on a fire ground if possible. Also, if anyone has a link to a frequencies list for SFFD, that would help too! Sorry for asking too much, but IM hoping to get a straight up answer and get this thing rolling.. :)

Thanks everyone in advance!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com. You've come to the right place. San Francisco is indeed on a trunked radio system (TRS). The data for that system can be found here.

There are no new scanners for $100 that can pick this system up and trunk track it. You will be able to find used scanners for about that price, but they are likely to stop working in the next couple of years as each of these systems goes through a mandatory change.

To be future proof I strongly suggest getting a PSR-300 scanner. You can read about it here. Or you can get one from ScannerMaster. The last time I checked the price was $149 and includes the AC adapter.

Good luck.

adlx21

Thanks sooo much gmclam!
You made it very clear and easy :)
am I suppose to buy some of those optional accessories like software, antenna, etc..? if not, $150 is pretty good compared to other sites..

Last edited:

Eng74

The PSR-300 can be programmed by hand but the software makes it a whole lot easier. I would go with WIN97. If you are in SF the stock antenna will work fine you might want to upgrade to the RS 800 mhz..

adlx21

so I dont need anything from this site (GRE PSR-300 Police Scanner Radio) besides the scanner alone ($149.95) and the antenna(800mhz rubber $17.95)?

after that. I buy software (Win97) from the site Eng74 posted.

After this, im set? Then ill worry about programming and inputting the frequencies i want... ?

Sorry for being sooo new. I appreciate the help fellas

Eng74

You will need the USB progrmaing cable. You can get it at Scanermasters or Radio Shack. Same cable one the GRE is blue and the RS is orange.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
so I dont need anything from this site (GRE PSR-300 Police Scanner Radio) besides the scanner alone ($149.95) and the antenna(800mhz rubber $17.95)?
If you buy the scanner from ScannerMaster, it comes with the AC adapter and rubber antenna. As mentioned, you need the USB programming cable.

After this, im set? Then ill worry about programming and inputting the frequencies i want... ?
If you have a paid subscription here on RR, then you can "import" frequencies and talkgroups directly into WIN97 (or other programs). It saves you the step of retyping them if you are not a paid member. Even if you import, you will still be able to edit or arrange them within the software before uploading to the scanner.

Sorry for being sooo new. I appreciate the help fellas
I think we've all been there. Good luck.

adlx21

it just says 'rubber antenna'.. not specific. Should I just go with that or upgrade?

adlx21

I went ahead and bought the scanner with only the programming cable. Look for me for further questions SOON! cant wait :)

THANKS A BUNCH GUYS.

Eng74

You can always pick up the RS 800 mhz antenna at any Radio Shack in the Bay Area. The stock antenna will work untell you want to upgrade.

adlx21

Last edited:

akfong

Uniden BC346XT

Welcome to RadioReference.com. You've come to the right place. San Francisco is indeed on a trunked radio system (TRS). The data for that system can be found here.

There are no new scanners for $100 that can pick this system up and trunk track it. You will be able to find used scanners for about that price, but they are likely to stop working in the next couple of years as each of these systems goes through a mandatory change.

To be future proof I strongly suggest getting a PSR-300 scanner. You can read about it here. Or you can get one from ScannerMaster. The last time I checked the price was $149 and includes the AC adapter.

Good luck.

I heard about the mandatory change for the San Francisco system, but don't know the details. I am planning to buy a Uniden BC346XT. Would this scanner be compatible with upgraded system?

Alvin...

Status
Not open for further replies.