Here are some of my SF Fleetweek Air frequencies:
Airboss03/127.05
Disc03/123.475
Airshow/123.15
Airshow@/126.0
Airshow/126.40
GGTraffic/124.30
StoliMig/127.30

I'll bet that the Patriots use 127.3. The F-22 will probably use F15/F16/376.025.

Any guesses on what the CG SAR will be using?

What other frequencies are folks going to monitor?
Marine Band
SF TRS
GGNRA TRS
Civil Air Patrol?
ISR?

linuxwrangler

Lots of Blue Angel plane-to-plane chatter on 284.25 right now as they work on picking out their landmarks and reference points for this weekend's show.

Any other interesting freqs you can recommend?

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
On the Peaks I heard:

305.5 - Usually "Bert" the fat albert C130 which I did not see flying
275.35 - Diamond
284.25 - Diamons/Solos
237.8 - Solos

As you said, most traffic was on 284.25
They used 269.1 to contact SFO tower for landing

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Last year Marine band was a MUST. Especially:

83A - 157.175

Others active were:

16 - 156.800 - a lot of routine traffic mixed in with interesting stuff.
23A - 157.150 - Air Radio guard

But again 83A was all airborne CG and Military assets in charge of the moving TFR around the ships. It may not be a big deal this year as there is no carrier, but last year it was great:

A tour copter, N415SF (the red and gold helo you often see tooling around SF...I think it is based in Mill Valley by US101) flew under the GG bridge, and almost right over the carrier. Needless to say the CG Pavehawk was not happy, and turned violently to intercept. There was a call from the "Commander" to "get that civilian copter out of here and get its tail number!" I wonder what came of it.

And as always the Golden Gate Traffic channel was active with all the news and L.E. helos on 124.300

com_chaser

Airboss on UHF?

Anybody tag the airboss on UHF during the afternoon today (Friday) at Fleet Week?

Didn't have time to listen to Norcal during the show.

Thanks,

Com Chaser

NewScanner215

MAN that was fun! I forgot about the practice and the shows up until Saturday night. I hadn't been to fleet week since the early/mid 90's. I put in all the freq's here and other ones listed on the web before I left out today. I woke up late so I didn't get out to the marina(Emeryville then switched to Berkeley) until about 1pm. All I had was my 800Mhz antenna but I was hoping that the close proximity would let me hear something. I heard some stuff but I decided to check Berkeley Radio Shack for a low band (is that right?) antenna and luckily they had the telescoping one ($17.99). All the radio shacks out here by where I live in the San Leandro area have no hand held antennas and they are discontinuing scanners and accessories so I haven't been able to find one. As soon as I hooked it up CHP came in crystal clear and then the pilots in the air show. When the angels came out it was a blast to hear the next move right before they did them and what not. I'm going to go over by Marin next time but man that was nice!

Used my Pro-97

And this is the antenna i bought i'm sure u all have seen it:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103159

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone get any 'new' frequencies?

I heard some and will post when I have access to my notebook (old fashioned kind with paper :) )... Here's what I remember off the top of my head:
123.15 Viper Demo Discrete/Spotter
119.85 Discrete
123.475 Collaborators
127.30 Patriot Demo
134.70 Air Boss

But did anyone get any frequencies from the military ships? I'm not talking about marine band stuff, but mil-band usage for force protection/maintenance?

I was at Treasure Island, mostly for the monitoring, since I was at Fort Mason on Friday. Anyway, I was monitoring the show and was surprised at how weak the airboss was at the western edge of TI.

I was also searching MilGnd 138-144, 148-150.8, 380-400, and 406.1-419.9875. And I didn't hear anything new. Did anyone pick up any new frequencies in this range?

com_chaser

Confirmed Tags

I have the same:

123.15 Viper Demo
119.85 Discrete
123.475 Collaborators
127.30 Patriot Demo
134.70 Air Boss

Also:

Viper Demo checked-in with his wingman on the ground on 376.025

Collaborators Ch. 1 119.850 Airshow Discrete common
Collaborators Ch. 2 123.475

Raptor only flew on Saturday. I heard him come up on 307.20 Norcal for vectors out of the area, after his short Demo.

Angels:

305.5 Fat Albert
284.25 Diamond
275.35 Diamond
238.70 Solos
142.6125 FM Com Cart. Good signal, "I have six jets inbound"
269.10 SFO Tower. Angels pushed here after departing show airspace.

I went looking for Airboss on UHF with no luck, also tried to tag the 4 Marine Helicopters on UHF, and VHF-FM low band. No luck. Tried giving the Airboss a call on the Cell phone but she did'nt answer.

By far the coolest place to see the Angels fly. The high speed pass right above the water by Solo 5 was most impressive. He wizzed by me a 540 knots, with the beginnings of a shockwave forming on the fuselage of the aircraft. I bet the people on the South end of the Golden Gate had a fun time with the solos passing overhead.

The curved pier down by Giridelli (sp?) square was closed to the public. I did see a few of the Angels crew with big gear bags head out to the end. I suspect one of them was "Moe"
who gives radio feedback to the Solos during performance.

-Com Chaser

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
One of these years I'm going to have to take my wife to fleet week. Where are the good spots to watch? I really prefer an area where I can drive up, get out of my car, and hang out, staying right at the car so I don't have to carry ten tons of stuff (radios, ice chest, lawn chairs, etc).

Treasure Island seems ideal, but I'd imagine it gets pretty crowded?

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Kirk said:
One of these years I'm going to have to take my wife to fleet week. Where are the good spots to watch? I really prefer an area where I can drive up, get out of my car, and hang out, staying right at the car so I don't have to carry ten tons of stuff (radios, ice chest, lawn chairs, etc).

Treasure Island seems ideal, but I'd imagine it gets pretty crowded?

Treasure Island wasn't that good. It was my first year there. You are way to the right of the show box. There are some great opportunites as the planes enter/exit the showbox, but the main maneuvers at show center seem very far away.

I was at Fort Mason on Friday for the practice. I was on the pier nearest to the Muni Pier.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...4,-122.427735&spn=0.007561,0.013819&z=16&om=1

linuxwrangler

Kirk said:
...Where are the good spots to watch?...

From a boat. Done that several times and seeing one of the Angels scream straight over the top of the mast banked over to a knife edge is pretty sweet. Didn't go this year but last year the coolest demo was the 'copter aerobatic exhibition. The Angels are always cool, but been there seen that a bunch of times. Never saw a chopper do a loop before.

Actually, none of the shows 'round here hold a candle to the ones when I was a kid growing up at China Lake. At our airshows they dropped actual napalm and shot real Sidewinder missiles at battlefield flares. I suspect Chris Daly might object to that in SF. :)

Eng74

linuxwrangler said:
From a boat. Done that several times and seeing one of the Angels scream straight over the top of the mast banked over to a knife edge is pretty sweet. Didn't go this year but last year the coolest demo was the 'copter aerobatic exhibition. The Angels are always cool, but been there seen that a bunch of times. Never saw a chopper do a loop before.

Actually, none of the shows 'round here hold a candle to the ones when I was a kid growing up at China Lake. At our airshows they dropped actual napalm and shot real Sidewinder missiles at battlefield flares. I suspect Chris Daly might object to that in SF. :)

The last air show at china Lake was around 1991. The base fallen out of favor with the Navy Brass since they got in on the southwest base...aliance whatever they call it. They are trying to go around the BRAC to keep about 2,000 jobs from getting sent to China Lake. The last three years the show center has been the muni peir. We have season tickets for the 49ers and this is the 3rd or 4th year that we have had a game on the same weekend as Fleet Week. It really fills up the City.

Status
Not open for further replies.