San Francisco Public Safety going Digital June 2021

KD6JEK

As of about 0758 this morning, encryption is now active on some SFPD TGs. Encrypted TGs include 808, 810, 812 and 816. My logs show 824 and 826 as active in the wee hours, but I haven't verified that those transmissions were encrypted. 808 corresponds to A3, 810 to A4, 812 to A5, and 816 to A7 — for now, these channels are also being simulcast on the old analog system as the transition moves forward. Not yet hearing any unencrypted SFPD activity this morning, so cannot yet confirm the report that initial dispatches will be in the clear. SFFD and other agencies that have transitioned to the new system remain in the clear.
Is that correct because what is listed in RR is slightly different, but I'm sure this is a work in progress...

footage

Premium Subscriber
I submitted what's newly listed in RR over a week ago, and the new encrypted TGs are new this morning.

rooivalk

As of right now, there is no encryption planned for the patrol used channels, just digital TDMA.

KG7PBS

I'm dreading your observations and am in denial, hoping this whole thing will go away like the promise of total 700mHz switch thing did a few years ago. Right as I type, I'm still receiving the whole city as usual, as well as the Sunset/Parkside TG I listen to. But I know I'm gonna lose on this one:(
No matter ultimately as I'm moving out of this dump of a city within the next couple of months. I'm going to Rocklin, Ca. and far as I know, everything I need there is still VHF/UHF.

Hate to rain on you but there a VHF P25 P1/2 TRS there that the Sheriff is on and LPD too. Rocklin PD may jump on it too? don't know yet.

ridgescan

Hate to rain on you but there a VHF P25 P1/2 TRS there that the Sheriff is on and LPD too. Rocklin PD may jump on it too? don't know yet.
We'll see. It'll be quite a while before I set up any radio stuff when I get there anyway.
When I move it'll be a long while before I even come back in RR. I've been living here in my QTH for almost 20 years which afforded my deeply embedded radio hobby with six running rigs and three substantial outdoor roof antennas.
The house we're moving to has HOA and you know what that means. I'll be lucky if I can stealthily deploy the Wellbrook loop for HF and D130J for scans somewhere at the back of the property behind bushes or something.

nokoa3116

As of right now, there is no encryption planned for the patrol used channels, just digital TDMA.
But there is, San Francisco PD and their Department of Emergency Management had confirmed this. All but initial dispatch and disposition will be clear, the rest encrypted.

rooivalk

But there is, San Francisco PD and their Department of Emergency Management had confirmed this. All but initial dispatch and disposition will be clear, the rest encrypted.
Source? That isnt in any of the source or training materials i have.

footage

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen any of the SFPD encrypted TGs for A1-A8 show up after the day they appeared on Tuesday the 17th. And 60102 (Automated SFFD Dispatch) has been quiet for over a week. It was fun while it lasted. Seems like the deployment of portables is still in flux and far from complete. The only TGs steadily in use are SFFD (though probably not all traffic), some Public Works TGs, the Library and DTIS (Telecommunications & Information Services). And, as @mlangeveld pointed out, very few of the known system frequencies are in use.

I think the TGs some of us have been posting will undergo changes along the way, so it would be a good idea to keep checking and updating via Sentinel, if you use it.

The BlueTail P25RX is proving itself as a simple receiver and tracking tool.

KG7PBS

I haven't seen any of the SFPD encrypted TGs for A1-A8 show up after the day they appeared on Tuesday the 17th. And 60102 (Automated SFFD Dispatch) has been quiet for over a week. It was fun while it lasted. Seems like the deployment of portables is still in flux and far from complete. The only TGs steadily in use are SFFD (though probably not all traffic), some Public Works TGs, the Library and DTIS (Telecommunications & Information Services). And, as @mlangeveld pointed out, very few of the known system frequencies are in use.

I think the TGs some of us have been posting will undergo changes along the way, so it would be a good idea to keep checking and updating via Sentinel, if you use it.

The BlueTail P25RX is proving itself as a simple receiver and tracking tool.

so are you saying A1-A8 on the P-25 system is encrypted full-time? Or they have not used them in the past week?

footage

Premium Subscriber
so are you saying A1-A8 on the P-25 system is encrypted full-time? Or they have not used them in the past week?
They rolled out simulcast Phase 2 TGs that were encrypted on Tuesday, but they went silent after that except for a very occasional keying up.

nokoa3116

Source? That isnt in any of the source or training materials i have.

As well as direct communication with the SFPD Media Relations Unit.

rooivalk

To correct the article, there are no plans to replace the APX6000's that were introduced in 2014-15. We'll see, in late July, what exactly is encrypted, or not. That the PD and DEM (completely separate agency) aren't on the same page isn't surprising. And having seen the channel plan, there is still no encryption planned on the A bank channels.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
All but initial dispatch and disposition will be clear, the rest encrypted.

This sentence doesn't make sense. I think the words "all but" are misplaced. Did you mean to say "Initial dispatch and disposition will be clear, but all the rest will be encrypted?" With "all but" where it is the first portion of the sentence reads that everything will be clear except for initial dispatch and disposition. I just want to make sure you didn't mean this.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
This sentence doesn't make sense. I think the words "all but" are misplaced. Did you mean to say "Initial dispatch and disposition will be clear, but all the rest will be encrypted?" With "all but" where it is the first portion of the sentence reads that everything will be clear except for initial dispatch and disposition. I just want to make sure you didn't mean this.
Pretty sure it should be "Initial dispatch and disposition will be clear, but all the rest will be encrypted?" Otherwise you're right, it is definitely backwards!

Regards,

-Frank C.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

The article stated that radios will be purchased for 2,200 officers. I wonder if that means just handhelds? If so that means handhelds alone will cost $7.7 million. Does that mean mobiles will be an additional cost? Does the city plan to not use mobiles? Mobiles would cost many more millions of dollars. Add to that the cost of the hardware and software for the system. By throwing out this little tidbit the writer of the article let us touch the trunk of the elephant and we wonder what the rest of the animal is like.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
The article stated that radios will be purchased for 2,200 officers. I wonder if that means just handhelds? If so that means handhelds alone will cost $7.7 million. Does that mean mobiles will be an additional cost? Does the city plan to not use mobiles? Mobiles would cost many more millions of dollars. Add to that the cost of the hardware and software for the system. By throwing out this little tidbit the writer of the article let us touch the trunk of the elephant and we wonder what the rest of the animal is like.

I would think that the radios would be for mobiles and portables. I don't think the department is *that* large...Although it might be!

Regards,

-Frank C.

footage

Premium Subscriber
As of yesterday, SFPD is making only intermittent use of the new system. There are sporadic simulcast transmissions on encrypted talkgroups corresponding to A1-A8.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I would think that the radios would be for mobiles and portables. I don't think the department is *that* large...Although it might be!

Regards,

-Frank C.

Yes, I hope so. However $3,500 for each handheld is a realistic price. It is a little low for a P25 Phase 2 trunked handheld from what I've been obserserving. I think mobiles are far more expensive. Then the cost of repeaters, maybe some satellite receivers, antennas, maybe some newer or upgraded antenna towers, linking, computers and consoles has to be considered. They might be able to sync the new radio system into their existing CAD, but I don't know that. In my little brain I could see this project exceeding $20 million.