San Francisco Radio Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newer

I live in San Francisco, Downtown, CA. I would like to get a scanner but i dont know if i should go digital or analog.
I would like to listen to :
-Police Department.
-Fire Fighters.
-Ambulance.
-Aircraft.
-Marine.

is there any digital scanner for u$300?

is Uniden BCD396T APCO-25 or RS PRO 96 the only choices i have?

thanks!

trooperdude

Database Admin
Newer said:
I live in San Francisco, Downtown, CA. I would like to get a scanner but i dont know if i should go digital or analog.

San Francisco is currently analog , but with plans to go APCO P25 in
the future.

Some medic channels are encrypted.

Depends on your budget, and how "futureproof" you want it to be.

As an aside, most of San Mateo County to the south, and
Marin to the north are fully digital and trunked.

Alameda and Contra Costa are planning on going digital as well.

is there any digital scanner for u$300?
USED maybe. Doubtful.

New, not that I am aware of at this time.

is Uniden BCD396T APCO-25 or RS PRO 96 the only choices i have?

Until October, when the GRE 500/600 will become available.

Newer

Im kind of new to radio monitoring and new in the city too,
so probably Uniden BC-246T Trunk Tracker III is a cheap an good option for San Francisco? (u$259!)

Thanks a lot!!!

Sac916

Newer said:
Im kind of new to radio monitoring and new in the city too,
so probably Uniden BC-246T Trunk Tracker III is a cheap an good option for San Francisco? (u$259!)

Thanks a lot!!!

Just remember that you will not be able to hear any digital transmissions ( P25 / APCO25 )

Newer

Trooperdude - "San Francisco is currently analog , but with plans to go APCO P25 in
the future."-

So probably is a good choice for now. The cheapest digital radio scanner i found was U$500. Thats too much for me, im just starting with this and my budget is 250-300.

Does anybody here lives in san francisco? If so, what kind of scanner do you use?

Thanks!

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Newer said:
Trooperdude - "San Francisco is currently analog , but with plans to go APCO P25 in
the future."-
That's pretty distant future unless they stick with their current infrastructure and just change the TGs to digital. I wouldn't sweat it too much. By the time they do go you'll have greater knowledge of what you'll need.

radio10-8

is glen at scanners unlimited still in business? i heard he was closing shop after so many years. If he's open in San Carlos go see him he has great selection of scanners and he is NOT the cheapest in town he is very knowledgable.

rooivalk

radio10-8 said:
is glen at scanners unlimited still in business? i heard he was closing shop after so many years. If he's open in San Carlos go see him he has great selection of scanners and he is NOT the cheapest in town he is very knowledgable.

Last I heard, he's still around. But I noticed the website is gone...Maybe he did retire?

SF's trunked system has some APCO-25 transmissions, but a majority of PD and FD is in the clear.

When in the city, I've been using a Uniden 246T, and it's worked fine.

Eng74

I was just on Glenn's site this weekend and looked up to see what the price on the new GRE scanners . Can always try calling Scanners Unlimited 605-573-1624.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
radio10-8 said:
He's cheaper if you shop over the phone--he's closed on Mondays but his phone line is working. I haven't heard he was closing, his site was taking orders for the new GRE scanners. I like his service over the phone, always willing to answer a question even if you don't buy anything.

trooperdude

Database Admin
wayne_h said:
That's pretty distant future unless they stick with their current infrastructure and just change the TGs to digital. I wouldn't sweat it too much. By the time they do go you'll have greater knowledge of what you'll need.

They are currently installing Quantars and have updated the license for simulcast for multiple sites.

It's not THAT far in the future with Federal Grant Money coming online.

:D

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
trooperdude said:
They are currently installing Quantars and have updated the license for simulcast for multiple sites.

It's not THAT far in the future with Federal Grant Money coming online.

:D
For both sites or just site 2? I would have imagined that site 1 would be all quantars. I know site 2 used to broadcast no support for digital.

It sounds like they're just planning to convert analog TGs to digital.

Eng74

Was in the Bay Area for the 49ers game this weekend and went by Scanners Unlimited today (Saturday). Glenn is still there and open. Got to check out a sample version of the GRE 500. Wow this radio is going to be the talk for a while. I think I know what I am going to be getting me for Christmas, it even has its own lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.