San Joaquin County Fire

officer_415

Database Admin
Are these channels still in use? Their FCC licenses are expired, with no apparent replacement:

159.480 - XSJ Control 1 - WQNC607, expired 12/15/2020
155.055 - SCD North - WNYF754, expired 06/30/2021

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
SCD North pretty much gets simulcasted with SCD South, can confirm having toggled my mobile unit and both being used to transmit the same traffic. Control one is still used. One thing I don't fully understand which someone may help with is what's the difference between having Control 1 and SCD N/S? Control 1 sometimes dispatches to have units change over to Command 6 which is south county while SCD N/S never have traffic that gets put onto Control 1. Wouldn't it make sense for Control 1 to dispatch everything and then change to command like Stanislaus or to have Control 1 be only north and everything on the South? I don't understand the flip flopping. I also have never heard anyone being told to use Command 5. It's ways 3/6.

officer_415

Database Admin
One thing I don't fully understand which someone may help with is what's the difference between having Control 1 and SCD N/S? Control 1 sometimes dispatches to have units change over to Command 6 which is south county while SCD N/S never have traffic that gets put onto Control 1. Wouldn't it make sense for Control 1 to dispatch everything and then change to command like Stanislaus or to have Control 1 be only north and everything on the South? I don't understand the flip flopping. I also have never heard anyone being told to use Command 5. It's ways 3/6.

My understanding is that they are separate dispatch centers.

Control 1 and Command 3/5/6 are dispatched by the Valley Regional Emergency Communications Center (VRECC) located in Salida, CA and operated by AMR for the Joint Radio Users Group (JRUG).

SCD North/South are dispatched by the San Joaquin County Regional Fire Dispatch Authority (Stockton Fire).

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
what's the difference between having Control 1 and SCD N/S

It's a contractual thing, different agencies have dispatch contact with two different dispatch centers. It was a political hot-topic many years ago, mainly on the EMS side.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. This just seems like a silly mess. So one dispatch center dispatches units to use Command 6 which is South. Another dispatches for South using a split N/S channel which is carrying it's own traffic for the same incidents? but having those units also switch to command 6 "if needed". Not that anything is going to change but I think a better solution and saving money would be to simply dispatch on Control 1 and then send them to either Command 3/6. Take out the SCD deal.

officer_415

Database Admin
This just seems like a silly mess. So one dispatch center dispatches units to use Command 6 which is South. Another dispatches for South using a split N/S channel which is carrying it's own traffic for the same incidents? but having those units also switch to command 6 "if needed". Not that anything is going to change but I think a better solution and saving money would be to simply dispatch on Control 1 and then send them to either Command 3/6. Take out the SCD deal.

Like @mcjones2013 said, it’s politics. It’s great to consolidate everyone into one dispatch center, but it isn’t always feasible due to silly rivalries, bad blood between departments, or stubborn chiefs resistant to change.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Easy to miss, it's a hodgepodge of licensing for San Joaquin with different entities across different counties.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
SCD North/South confirmed still in use, both carrying the same traffic.
Correct. Although it seems like SCD N/S are pretty much simulcasted with one another. For north everything is on command 3 and their tac channels. South is its own beast in conjunction with command 6 and control 1. I don't think SCD north really carries anything separate.