San Joaquin Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
I can't say I've been to any rifle range in Linden, unfortunately. Another point that can be a negative for Dispatch encryption is the ability for other neighboring departments to listen and gather information. Being able to do so sometimes shaves off the extra work of dispatchers and call takers needing to phone between agencies to exchange information or make requests.

saberthree

Ah ok, just wondering. Due to the nature of the job, I meet alot of PD guys from all over the county and then some. I'm not sure how it is now with the new RSOs, but if your looking for a relaxed place to go shoot, check it out you'd like the vibe, as usual avoid the weekends for obvious reasons...that's when the big crowd comes in, and half of them can't shoot for the life of them. I miss working there but, it got very political with internal stuff. Now I'm enjoying my retirement with my radios courtesy of shrapnel and TBI from a bomb blast overseas back in 07. I can agree with where your coming from as far as Dispatch being clear, it would make it easier for other departments to be able to assist faster without waiting for dispatch to talk to the other dispatch. TAC channels of course, as we discussed earlier is a bit more touchy, considering the nature of what is being coordinated between units. It is rather exciting listening to them though, it would be a shame to have it encrypted and not hear the fun. What I do like what they are doing is coordinate, then when the more sensitive topic comes up, they just make contact through cells, which is usually encrypted by the service provider anyway. Thank God, most bad guys in stockton, don't know the tac channels, unless they were very serious with what they are doing....but then again if they are that serious, they probably are doing something very big and have to be watching out for the federal guys. From your experience on the beat, have you ever encountered a perp/suspect with a scanner or a commercially programmed radio? and hypothetically, if you made a stop and noticed a public safety radio, with your experience would you consider that a red flag and ask questions about it? The reason I ask, is because I remember about 5 months ago, I was driving home and had my XTS4K on, just listening to traffic to pass the time and ended having to drive through a rather rough neighborhood to get where I needed to be. Oddly, I heard my plates being ran...looked at my mirror and saw a squad car following me. They were looking for some hispanic guy, in a dark SUV similar to what I was driving. They pulled me over to check to see if I was him, Luckily one of them was someone I knew from the range, we bull****ted for a minute and showed them the radio, they thought it was pretty sweet. If it was someone who I didn't know, I would have not said anything about the radio, I didn't feel like being asked a million questions and possibly have my radio confiscated to ensure that it wasn't programmed to access their network.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
I've only had 2 instances where I was pulled over and having the scanner was brought up. One was through a DUI checkpoint. I had my handheld nestled into my driver door "tray", had my window down to show my ID and without warning the officer reached in and pulled it out and asked what it was and why I had it. The other instance was when I got pulled over by CHP, officer noted the scanner and said he wasn't sure if it was legal or not to have it, didn't make any other mention of it or cited me for it, so I figure he just made a offhand comment.

My most recent stop I had was when they had one of their county sweep operations going on. Had both my handheld and mobile in the car. The officer standing at my driver door never peeped a word (stood for about 5-10 on the stop there) and the contact officer didn't make any mention of it either.

I think until the # of people committing crimes and use the online scanner apps or have physical radios with them increases that overall the LE community is indifferent (most, but not all) to if people listen or not. Having access to a scanner/radio and especially being able to go mobile with it is a privilege. Long as you don't start popping up down the street at every major incident call or on traffic stops you're probably good. It's a nice tool to have to be able to be aware of what's going on around you or maybe in a rare instance being able to provide some information just from listening.

saberthree

Russian spd, thanks for sharing your experience with your encounters. I am half and half about it being a privilege to be able to have one while driving. Just dont be a stalker and follow an officer everytime you hear something interesting. I beleive in some states they banned having scanners in a vehicle, or require a permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.