San Luis Obispo County Communications has been testing a digital voice system on 453.8000 Silver Chanel

N6JPA

A Ham Radio Operator With too much frequency.
On Friday the technicians were testing out a digital voice system. I don't have a digital voice capable radio, so I don't know what type of digital voice system they are testing. Any one with a digital voice capable radio may want to monitor the SLO radio system. Most likely SLO county will encrypt their radio system as the Califoronia DOJ has announced last year as a mandatory requirement. IMHO. YMMV.

If you can invest into a cheap SDR radio and DSD+ fast lane software it will decode multiple types of digital audio. I'll keep my ears on that channel

N6JPA

Well I finally caught the p25 stuff with a default NAC 293 and encrypt. Looks like the good ole days of SLOCO Law analog are coming to an end :(
Yes, I'm just hoping that they won't encrypt the fire dispatch and talk around channels. I know that MEDCOM is going digital encrypted very soon also.

kk6dj

Yes, I'm just hoping that they won't encrypt the fire dispatch and talk around channels. I know that MEDCOM is going digital encrypted very soon also.
I'll bite. Where did you hear about the Medcom thing? Folks I've talked to closer to this topic say that's not a plan. This board becomes less useful when incomplete or unfounded rumors get propagated.

N6JPA

This is just an announcement and not to debate the topic of encryption. I will also refrain from my opinion on the matter.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I would love to see some sources too! I’m really curious as I live in the area and hadn’t heard this before. Also the City and the County are two different entities and one making changes wouldn’t really affect the other.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
This almost sounds like something a salesperson would say to sell new radios. My sources don't align with this blanket announcement.
I tend to agree. The poster said he wouldn’t post his opinions, but between this thread and the other, all I see are opinions and assumptions and little to back them up. An “announcement” should have some reliable evidence.

Last edited:

code3cowboy

I'll bite. Where did you hear about the Medcom thing? Folks I've talked to closer to this topic say that's not a plan. This board becomes less useful when incomplete or unfounded rumors get propagated.
This gave me a good laugh, glad to see you posting. Hope all's well.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I reached out directly to those on the team to get a straight answer.

The County has one channel (mentioned in the other thread, Silver 453.800) that is P25 capable and is encrypted. They are not "testing" it, it is fully operational. There are no plans for any other channels to be encrypted at this time.

The blanket statement/assertation/assumption in this thread is FALSE. You do not need to go replaced your scanners if all you do is listen to SLO County.

HOWEVER, each individual agency (SLOPD, Paso Robles, Atascadero, etc) makes their own decisions regarding this matter and may decide to encrypt or remain in the clear. It is up to them to do as they see fit with their radio systems--they are not County maintained or controlled.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
"I reached out directly to those on the team to get a straight answer."

Just curious, what team? Are you a com tech for SLO county?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
"I reached out directly to those on the team to get a straight answer."

Just curious, what team? Are you a com tech for SLO county?
How many teams are there at SLO County that would know anything about the radio system?

I reached out to a guy who knows a guy and was able to get in touch directly with someone on the radio shop team that was friendly and answered my questions. It was a matter of being polite and not an obnoxious know it all ham/scanner user and my questions were addressed.

As someone who has listened to public safety for years, I was worried. Those fears were unfounded, thankfully.

kk6dj

Don't forget OES (often plays an intergral role in operations and grant funding). Some sheriff operations staff and some fire staff are pretty radio savvy too but Comm Shop is the primary source for technical especially since they have a very competent team.