San Quentin Control Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveeCom

I set my BCD396XT up according to the settings in the RR db (for San Quentin Prison), but there doesn't seem to be any control channel activity.

I started monitoring San Quentin a few weeks ago and I haven't heard any (digital) "control-channel sounds" on 860.2625 yet. it seems to me that the control channel isn't used or has changed maybe.

Does anyone know what's going on with this system? I can hear voice on 858.2625. I can't remember whether I also heard voice on 859.2625.

Thanks,
Dave

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Have you tried turning the squelch all the way down so you hear static, and then trying all three frequencies: 858.2625, 859.2625 and 860.2625?

San Quentin has an extremely small coverage area. I live about 5 miles away (with some terrain blocking line of sight) and they're totally un-monitorable. I haven't verified the control channel on 860.2625 within the last six months but I'm betting it's still there. Next time you're anywhere near the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge or closer give it a try then. Don't forget to program the fleetmap since it's a Type I system (though as you said this is irrelevant if you can't decode a control channel in the first place).

Good luck!

Inigo

dougr1252

I think San Quentin rebanded one channel.

Try:

If these work, then it needs to be submitted.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I didn't even think of that, I may not be able to get to it in a very timely manner but I'll try to verify it eventually.

DaveeCom

Have you tried turning the squelch all the way down so you hear static, and then trying all three frequencies: 858.2625, 859.2625 and 860.2625?

A while ago I listened to the CC without the squelch and I thought I noticed a cycling of noise/quiet/noise/quiet over and over. It could've been a close station pulling down the front end of the radio too. But haven't heard the digital noises on it since I started monitoring.

FYI: I'm close to Point Richmond but there are so many little hills around here, it's hard to expect a clear line of site to anywhere nearby. For example: I can't hear SF from here but I do get Marin MERA just fine. With a little fiddling with the antenna position and length (telescoping), I can pull in the voice from San Quentin at home.

I saw another post (below). I'm going to update my settings and see if that fixes it for me.

Regards,
Dave

DaveeCom

I think San Quentin rebanded one channel.

Try:

If these work, then it needs to be submitted.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to enter these right now and see if this solve it. I'll reply as soon as I find out. I'm close enough (to S.Q.) to verify from here.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
All the NorCal prisons are in the process of frequency shifting. The local prison to me (Deuel) has switched its control channel also.

DaveeCom

Thanks for the info. I'm going to enter these right now and see if this solve it. I'll reply as soon as I find out. I'm close enough (to S.Q.) to verify from here.

I can hear the control channel now. My home is too fringe to lock onto the trunking system so I'll have to check it out tonight when I'm in my car. I drive right past SQ every night via the Richmond-SR bridge.

OT: Apartment living sucks. I wish I could put up an outdoor antenna.

DaveeCom

I am receiving San Quentin just fine now, (just not from my home 20).

The control channel 856.1625 works.

Somebody needs to update the DB now I guess.....

I also logged the following TGIDs that were not programmed into the radio:

000-2
000-8

Since I was driving through San Rafeal last night while listening, I had a major problem seeing which TGIDs were being used. So I couldn't verify if any TGIDs in the DB are still in use at SQ.

Thanks again for the correct CC freq.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
all of CDC is being rebanded..quentin was done in april CCWF and VSPW are the next to be done right after 4th of July CTF and Salinas being done in Aug

as is /has been DOT being rebanded

P&R will be rebanded this summer/fall

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
all freqs will be BELOW 860 since they predominately belong to sprint-nextel now

after the giveaway by gw bush to his old buddy the former nextel ceo who got about 6 BILL of spectrum for only what?? 1.5-2 BILL ?

they are paying for the state to do the rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.