Sandoval County Simulcast Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed problems receiving transmissions over the county simulcast system. I generally listen to 151.3025 mHz, but, I've noticed the same problem on other freqs that are part of the same license. Is it just me, or are they having simulcast issues? I'm still trying to figure out who thought it was a good idea to simulcast multiple transmitters on VHF in this corner of the county. Maybe they are a lot better at tuning than I give them credit, but it's no wonder I get harmonic distortion. I just hope the troops have some magic on their radios that filters this out.

ChrisABQ

According to other posters for the NM info, RR and Sandoval depts will be joining the NM 700 mhz system in the very near future. Depts in Bernalillo are scheduled to start moving to the new system in October of this year. They are P25 Phase 1 and 2.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
What scanner are you using? Most scanners aren't designed to receive a simulcast radio signal. Only the SDS100/200 are designed to receive and decode properly. The commercial radios public safety uses do not have issues picking up the signals.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
This is news to me. I'm monitoring a ~analog~ simulcast network--not digital. I've got multiple scanners and VHF HTs that exhibit the same issue. I just assumed that it's a poorly-tuned setup or they are having problems. I've dealt with simulcast VHF systems before, but they were for digital pagers that could handle the interference without breaking a sweat. How'd a thunk a VHF simulcast system was a good idea for VHF analog? I can see using voting receivers and maybe voting repeaters, but I don't know why they just didn't put one transmitter in place. That should work well, even for hand-held terminals. We are, after all, talking about a relatively small, but radio-dense corner of Sandoval County.

ChrisABQ

With the new system coming in the near future, things look to be much better. There are 2 sites in the metro area, a West side site (atop 9 mile) and a site atop Sandia. I live in the NE Heights of Abq with no simulcast issues whatsoever. I have received traffic from both sites with no issues using a BCD436HP and BCD996P2. If you have a P25 Phase 1 and 2 scanner now, you can download the system from RR, BCSO (East) is starting to use the system in Phase 2 every night on TG 139.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
With the new system coming in the near future, things look to be much better. There are 2 sites in the metro area, a West side site (atop 9 mile) and a site atop Sandia. I live in the NE Heights of Abq with no simulcast issues whatsoever. I have received traffic from both sites with no issues using a BCD436HP and BCD996P2. If you have a P25 Phase 1 and 2 scanner now, you can download the system from RR, BCSO (East) is starting to use the system in Phase 2 every night on TG 139.

Chris,

The two DTRS sites, Sandia Crest and West Mesa are not Simulcast. The issue the OP has is on the VHF Sandoval County system. ABQ will have a Simulcast DTRS system online for the city to operate on.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
I don't mean to be obnoxious, although it might come naturally ;). I was just wondering if anyone else has observed a similar change in this particular system. I used to monitor a simulcast DTRS system back East, so I've got a little experience with the challenges of monitoring those systems without the right gear. However, I don't think that's the case here.

ChrisABQ

I realize that Erik, and appreciate that. I'm explaining to the OP that that system is not going to be in use much longer.
As for the current system, yes, it's junk. This is why RR and Sandoval will be moving to the state system. The current VHF system is terrible to listen to on a scanner and it's terrible for them.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Theyll be going as time and budgets permit, as most of NM agencies will and you probably will see when those can be done but some will be stragglers for the 700.

There is a entire state codeplug setup already in units though due to work I cannot share it, some having future talkgroups for others.

Without doubt many are going to migrate when pheasable, mainly your larger more income agencies will be first ones to go or those piggy backing a closer bigger sister city .

With the current world and politics, money, I know some have totally stepped completely away on it for now but could always go back to it.

The rio Rancho system I have never had any issue on VHF mobile apx or kenwood NX and same for apx and NX portable when around up that way. If anything in wish some would have a clear vhf system like they do.

I also wish some would use a channel marker.

Status
Not open for further replies.