Sandy? 10-80 - Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I was scanning around and was copying a chase on TG 23840.

I was only able to catch a brief bit of the traffic.

They just put out an ATL for an agg assult at City Hall. and are now 10-80 again.

I think this is training... but you can hear the engine on the police car...

Last edited:

tbogs

I'm hearing this as well...giving reports the roads are dry and light. In contact with dispatch. I'm like you bneilson...think it is training but not for sure. Could this be a Tac channel for Sandy PD?

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
It is 100% training. One of the people said "Beep Beep Beep" when simulating dispatch.

Interesting it is on the TG and interesting that they are really driving. I am very curious as to where they are doing this.

I will post some audio of this later tonight when I get home...

qlajlu

Silent Key
bneilson said:
It is 100% training. One of the people said "Beep Beep Beep" when simulating dispatch.

Interesting it is on the TG and interesting that they are really driving. I am very curious as to where they are doing this.

I will post some audio of this later tonight when I get home...
Yeah, I've been copying that for the past couple of days. They keep referring to East Drive and South Street or something like that, but when I heard the WAY they were talking I knew immediately that this was a training exercise (no adrenaline fueled excitement that you normally hear in an officer's voice during a real pursuit).

I'm not sure where it is, but POST (Police Officers Standards and Training) has a driving range set up somewhere that the agencies use. Last summer (before UCAN started flashing all the radios) they were using one of the UCAN "Event" TGs for this type of training. Every LEO must have so many hours of in-service training under POST each year to maintain their certification which could be on any topic. What we're hearing now is probably part of Sandy's in-service training program and they must've figured they would use their own TGs.

========
EDIT:

Thanks, Viper (you put up your post while I was writing mine). I never did know for sure where that driving range was and East Street or East Drive - whatever they are calling it - is obvious in the Satellite View. You can go down to Street Level View and look across the field to get an idea, too.

========
2nd EDIT:

The Db shows that TG (23840) to be Sandy 2. My dusty list of old TGs says Sandy PD Investigations. I guess they can do what they want with it.

Last edited:

bneilson

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 114

qlajlu

Silent Key
bneilson said:
I did not know that place was there. Very cool!

So whats the big blacked out area? It looks to dark to be natural...
Probably has a special surface on it. I've seen where they take cones and set them out in large parking lots to act as imaginary obstacles and then practice pursuit-type 180 degree turns (hopefully without knocking any of the cones over). If you watched the movie The Body Guard with Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston you will remember where he was teaching the kid hired as the limo driver how to do extreme maneuvers to get away from the bad guys. They use a very large asphalted pad for that type of training.

I was at Little America in Wyoming once when they were teaching the Wyoming HP driving tactics in that great big parking lot they have. Very interesting. I always wondered how they kept from rolling over in some of those tight turns. They will also flood the lot with water to create slick conditions.

They never did this type of training back in the '70s when I was certified and I always kept hoping they would. We were always asking for this type of training and wouldn't ya know it...they started about three years after I turned in my badge.

This video out of Raleigh, North Carolina, will give you an idea of what that pad is used for.

Last edited:

Utah_Viper

The black area is the 'Skid Pad' it has a smooth, flat surface that they put water on and give the chance for officers to practice skids, spins and stuff. When you posted this today I tried looking up info on google about the place, but did not get anything I was looking for. One of the news stations did a segment out there once.

LGLHOOK

I was actually at this EVO track delivering fuel there and there was quite a few different agencies cars there (HP, Cedar City, Sandy, etc,) running the course about 3:00pm. I thought it might have been an academy class out there.

The street names these guys were using were "East Loop Drive, West Loop Drive, Sidewinder Rd." It is very fun to go there when I deliver the fuel because the tank sits right off of the track they use.

tbogs

I have been hearing tonight on this TG talk from Sandy PD...sounds like they are at an event somewhere in Sandy. Hear music in the background and also talking about SL Co officers in plain clothes. Wondering if this TG is for training and or events?

kf7yn

Keep in mind these "dusty" old TGs were mapped when UCAN first started operating. Myself and two other people mapped a Sandy City PD radio on Oct 11, 2001 and that was the Alpha tag in the radio. I'm sure they have turned it into a multi-purpose TG since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.